NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

1 hour ago, burgundy said:

Commanders isn't generic at all, but that's not the problem. The problem is that its too long and clunky, and has no good shortened version. Other teams with more than two syllable names have shorter nicknames: Patriots have Pats, Buccaneers have Bucs, 49ers have Niners. And then the Commanders have Commies and Ders, which are just terrible.

Yeah that's a fair critique, and a breath of fresh air. Generally when I see people complain about it they almost always use "generic" or "boring," which I think is just recency bias and as previously mentioned, poor branding and uniforms.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WestCoastBias said:

If they went this route, how about the Washington Natives? Or is that too direct of a name?

I've always like the Potomacs too. 

Natives.  Originals.  Americans.  

All would have been better than Commanders.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 11

6 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

Lol wut no 

• Like 6

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 minute ago, HOOVER said:

Washington Americans has a nice ring to it. I think a turkey would be cool logo/mascot to go along with it. They’re as American as it gets and they’re some mean SOB’s.

• Like 4
  • Huh? 1

I don’t understand why this board gets off on the exact same topics every few months. 

Last year’s discussion got so tired and unimaginative at the end, so :censored: it “let’s run it back because we’re bored as :censored:”

There’s no need to pretend like the team is actually looking to change the name, especially in the 2023 thread. 

• Like 5

OMG can we either get another Washington (professional) Football Team thread, or a ban on rebrand ideas until there's some actual reason to have those convos?

• Like 10

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So what do we call this current course, then...Washingjacked??

• Like 6

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 5/9/2023 at 2:52 PM, HOOVER said:

RE:  Commanders Rebrand

Washington Post writer lobbies Harris group to move on from Snyder legacy:  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/05/04/washington-commanders-name-josh-harris/

Radio host agrees:  

https://www.audacy.com/thefandc/sports/washington-commanders/danny-rouhiers-impassioned-plea-for-a-commanders-re-brand?utm_campaign=www.audacy.com%2Fthefandc&utm_content=1683333140&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_term=WJFK-FM

Will this gain momentum?   Harris has the money and the NFL would get to sell all new merch again.  

Personally, seems like a no-brainer to me, as long as they get it right.

The reason the topic resurfaced.  Not just a random threadjacking.

• Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, HOOVER said:

The reason the topic resurfaced.  Not just a random threadjacking.

Random sports reporters wondering if there will be a name change is nothing of significance. 

• Like 6
  • Meh 1

1 hour ago, 8BW14 said:

Washington Americans has a nice ring to it. I think a turkey would be cool logo/mascot to go along with it. They’re as American as it gets and they’re some mean SOB’s.

Not going the hog/pig route with the new name was a bonehead move by the Snyder administration. That's the only way they should have went after the old name was retired. Redtails, Redwolves or any other name should not have even been entertained. The club had a secondary identity in Hogs for decades that could have easily been adopted but nope, Snyder's gonna snyde. Then they thought a military worship theme would win over the diehards that didn't want the name to change, but it didn't. To add insult to incompetence they trotted out the lamest possible hog mascot in Major Tuddy.

They could have at least attempted to make Tuddy look tough. He looks like a concept design of Hamton J. Pig from Tiny Toons in a Gibbs era uniform for crying out loud.

• Like 3

Hotter Than July > Thriller

On 5/10/2023 at 9:40 PM, 4_tattoos said:

Not going the hog/pig route with the new name was a bonehead move by the Snyder administration. That's the only way they should have went after the old name was retired. Redtails, Redwolves or any other name should not have even been entertained. The club had a secondary identity in Hogs for decades that could have easily been adopted but nope, Snyder's gonna snyde. Then they thought a military worship theme would win over the diehards that didn't want the name to change, but it didn't. To add insult to incompetence they trotted out the lamest possible hog mascot in Major Tuddy.

They could have at least attempted to make Tuddy look tough. He looks like a concept design of Hamton J. Pig from Tiny Toons in a Gibbs era uniform for crying out loud.

The more I hear it, the more it makes sense. Hogs could refer to the historical Hogs or the current Hogs and there wouldn't be an identity-legacy limbo like we have here in Houston.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Random sports reporters wondering if there will be a name change is nothing of significance. 

I’ll remember that the next time we get 3 pages of a random topic because of a tweet or Reddit post.

• Yawn 1

9 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

I’m sure “Hogs” would’ve been offensive to…somebody.

• Like 1
  • Meh 2
  • Huh? 2
  • Yawn 5
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, HOOVER said:

I’ll remember that the next time we get 3 pages of a random topic because of a tweet or Reddit post.

You’re confusing tweets that mention likely changes (and are substantive) with bored reporters’ personal wishes, and for some reason you posted unsubstantiated opinion in the 2023 thread. 

• Like 5
  • Yawn 1

11 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Major Tuddy is 🔥

55 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

l wouldn't mind seeing the Football Team come back.

Underrated identity.

The funny thing is I still see fans that call them WFT, and a lot of people mention them as Washington and never use the nickname. It was an absolute travesty the way they rebranded. I have no idea how they were lead to that nickname, but it's so stale. Feels like the branding for one of these XFL or USFL teams. 

Call me crazy, but if the new owners want to rebrand, going back to Washington Football Team is such a better play than giving them another nickname. They likely won't. My guess is we will get more traditional looking uniforms at some point, but they'll keep the name. But, Commanders is never going to stick. 

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1