NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

8 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Doesn’t have to be 5 years.  They’ve been wearing their current uniforms since’13. They can switch to this as soon as next year.  

I’ve generally been happy with what the Vikings have been wearing since they dumped the side panel mess.  As far as modern designs go it’s pretty cohesive.  But for whatever reason it’s seemed to get a little tired looking to me in the past couple of years. Maybe it’s the random monochrome outings, maybe the dopey color rush look, definitely the matching socks have hurt.  I dunno, I used to love it but recently I’ve been open to a change.  This throwback feels like a breath of fresh air.  The modern helmet finish and brighter looking Nike fabric kicks the whole look up just enough that it doesn’t feel like a clunky tribute uniform, at least not to me.  Stick the updated horn on the helmet and this is pretty much the perfect home uniform for the Vikings IMO. 

Uhh...

My point: Within five years they'll have shifted to these full-time.

Not my point: The NFL's five-year uniform rule.

6uXNWAo.png

Love the Vikings' throwback but am genuinely surprised everyone's clamoring to have them as the primaries. I think the Vikings have one of--if not the--best modern look in the league. I can't think of a team ahead of them whose look isn't traditional or at least mostly traditional (Bucs)

• Like 15
  • Love 2
  • Applause 2

fiowXOD.png

21 minutes ago, BBTV said:

wouldn't it have to be 2 years?

Hmmm... I don't know. Why would it be 2? 

I guess my thinking is, the current uniform is well past the 5 year mark, so there's no barrier there. And we've seen teams flip a throwback to a primary (the Rams did it) and an alternate to a primary (both the Falcons and Broncos did it) with no more warning than an off-season decision to do so.  I might be forgetting some other rule, but my thinking is if this look proves to be especially popular they could decide during this off-season to make it their primary. Although how that would work with a road uniform I have no idea.

2 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Hmmm... I don't know. Why would it be 2? 

I guess my thinking is, the current uniform is well past the 5 year mark, so there's no barrier there. And we've seen teams flip a throwback to a primary (the Rams did it) and an alternate to a primary (both the Falcons and Broncos did it) with no more warning than an off-season decision to do so.  I might be forgetting some other rule, but my thinking is if this look proves to be especially popular they could decide during this off-season to make it their primary. Although how that would work with a road uniform I have no idea.

There's a well-documented 2-year lead-time rule.  Not sure when the cut-off is, so it may even be too late to declare for 2025.  Can it be waived?  Anything is possible.  But, for example, the Eagles can't have their new wordmark on their jerseys until next season (so they'll have played 2 seasons with the old one) because of said rule.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Here’s to hoping the Falcons are starting their redesign process within the next few months.

They’ve already decided to axe the gradient jersey.

It's hard to believe we are already going into Year 4 of those. I don't think they're nearly as terrible as the general public does, but I do wish they would just wear a traditional looking uniform. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Germanshepherd said:

Now this right here is the best they’ve ever looked. 

I’d need to see it to be sure, but a white version of this with purple pants would be a perfect road look too. 

I would've preferred a throwback to this era as well. I almost expected it as well with it being 25 years since their '98 team.

10 minutes ago, BBTV said:

There's a well-documented 2-year lead-time rule.  Not sure when the cut-off is, so it may even be too late to declare for 2025.  Can it be waived?  Anything is possible.  But, for example, the Eagles can't have their new wordmark on their jerseys until next season (so they'll have played 2 seasons with the old one) because of said rule.

Yeah, there's a two year wait from the time you declare your intention to redesign until that uniform can be worn, but in this case they'd just be taking two uniforms they're already wearing and flipping the status of which is the primary.  I dunno, maybe that's still the rule, but I don't remember that happening when the Broncos made their orange alternate into their primary.  Did the Broncos have to petition the NFL in 2009 to make that switch in 2011?  And I'm pretty sure the Rams made that decision to make their throwback into their primary in 2018, when they were planning on changing their whole look 2 years later. For that matter, the Rams flipped the status of the alternate uniform (the white) and their primary road (the bone) one year into their redesign, so it wouldn't even have been possible to give 2 years warning.

It's all pretty confusing.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2023 at 7:02 AM, WSU151 said:

On a retail site that sells a lot of mini and full size hemets.  Five new alternate helmets and two tribute helmets are available for pre-order. No images yet though, just “coming soon” place holder graphics.  The alternates are for the Broncos (confirmed), Eagles (confirmed), Lions (confirmed), and Browns and Colts (confirmed by Andrew Lind). 

The other helmets labeled  “tribute” are the Bears’ striped helmet (current shell with throwback stripe decals) and the Dolphins throwback helmet (current shell with throwback decals). 

Sounds like there will be more than seven new alternate/throwback/tribute helmets, as the “coming soon” selection doesn’t include Buccaneers, Seahawks, and Titans/Oilers, and maybe others. 

I still wonder if we are going to get this Jets "Tribute" helmet with a throwback uniform. Seems late to hear this little murmurs.

• Like 1

I'm surprised by how much I enjoy these Vikings throwbacks. They're not a radical change from what they've worn throughout their history, but the slightly darker shade of purple that matches perfectly between the helmet and jersey just hits all the right notes for me. Funny enough, that is probably the first time that you can really say that in their entire uniform history as well. Additionally, I also think that this simplified viking horn looks a lot better than the current, more illustrative version. Their current look is good, but there are a lot of details from these that I think that they could bring into that design to make the definitive Vikings look.

• Like 2

spacer.png

5 hours ago, PERRIN said:

Might be a scorching take but this throwback set is a just a tiny bit overrated. Still very much worthy of bringing back and a damn good uniform, but I honestly prefer the Vikings' current set to these by a good amount. The yellow and white on the stripes get muddied together at a distance due to lack of contrast and the gray facemask, though historically accurate, doesn't match the rest of the set at all. Feels weird to me having  a dull gray element on an otherwise bright and cheery uniform. Easily the next best set the Vikings have had, just wouldn't be my cup of tea if it returned as a full-time set.

Again, still a great uniform, love it as an alternate, I just wouldn't want to see this era's set return full time. The Vikings current set - so long as monochrome is avoided - is a modern classic and among the NFL's best uniforms.

Don't get me wrong, I like the current set, even the 'sail' only being on one number instead of both (or none), which annoyed me to no end at first, I have gotten used to. I just prefer the throwback.

But with that being said. All they gotta do is wear the throwback 3x and make the color rush disappear and I'm still a happy camper. I'll even allow one mono purple game if they must.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

Love the Vikings' throwback but am genuinely surprised everyone's clamoring to have them as the primaries. I think the Vikings have one of--if not the--best modern look in the league. I can't think of a team ahead of them whose look isn't traditional or at least mostly traditional (Bucs)

Yeah, their great uniforms and I actually kinda forgot how much I liked them, but I find the reaction kinda perplexing, I wouldn't ever claim people just like them "Cus Their Old", but I don't really see how their an improvement over the current ones, or that the current ones are ones they need to move away from. The throwbacks are kinda dated to an extent, and the Vikings aren't really regarded as a classic franchise like that, I think just having them as occasional alts is perfectly fine. 

• Like 2
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

2 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Should be, but doesn’t mean it’s better.

This is where we have the battle of historical accuracy vs looks. I think the Giants throwbacks look terrible because the helmet is so dark it almost looks black.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1