NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

Can someone please provide a quick recap of the teams who are scheduled to have throwback uniforms for the 2023 season? I’ve legitimately lost track.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

13 hours ago, the admiral said:

No, that's just it! On top of it all, they look bad! They look like the Lions from a distance, but cheaper and sadder. It was a bad uniform for a bad team. Okay, the logo looked slightly more like a totem pole than it does now. Still bad.

Maybe they look like the Lions from a distance but then so do the Cowboys. This is why we have home and away jerseys to provide the contrast. Just looking at old pictures, there was a big difference in the tones of blue (Honolulu is always lighter) and the Seahawks silver was much more of a stainless steel than the silver bullet Lions.

yhmh0q5ig1vto7n8oitb.jpg

• Like 3

Personally, I'm a bigger fan of the original Seahawks uniform,  (Cue the crying, "wwaaahhhh, that team was even worse!)

spacer.png

spacer.png

As I stated earlier, I think the helmet logo reappearing on the sleeve is a clever reuse of the stripe, but ultimately kinda clunky and redundant, like every time the helmet logo repeats on the jersey. The slightly thinner pants stripe here are a little less visually jarring, and match up with the road jersey sleeves.  And I'm always a sucker for matching sleeve stripes/sock stripes on home uniforms. Plus a gray mask to annoy grumpy posters for the win.  And teams can always throwback to the first uniforms just because they are first uniforms.

• Like 5
  • Hurl 1

6 hours ago, Chawls said:

Can someone please provide a quick recap of the teams who are scheduled to have throwback uniforms for the 2023 season? I’ve legitimately lost track.

New England, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, Dallas, Cleveland, Seattle, Minnesota, NY Giants, NY Jets, Philadelphia, Tennessee are all new throwbacks from either this year or last. You could also include Chicago, Green Bay, Miami, Detroit, and Buffalo if you wanted to.

the user formerly known as cdclt

If any two teams looked like clones in that era, it was the Lions and Cowboys:

r961558_2908x1936cc.jpg&w=570&h=379&form

I remember as a young one growing up there were times I legitimately couldn't tell whether it was the Lions or Cowboys playing on TV or in the newspapers, and when they played each other it resembled more of an intrasquad scrimmage, especially given the lo-def technology of back then (and the artificial lighting in the Silverdome).

• Like 12

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

With respect to the Oilers throwbacks, who the hell is it actually for? The cynic in me would say the ownership, but Bud Adams passed away and so unless Amy Strunk Adams has some weird personal grieving process that involves the Oilers (in which case the team should have just stayed the Tennessee Oilers), this is applying nostalgia for literally one year of transitional football.

IMO The Oilers’ history should transfer back to Houston, where the vast majority of it was actually played. This should be a Texans’ throwback. If you don’t take the branding with you a la the Colts, you shouldn’t be allowed to take the history. I’m open to being proven wrong on this but I don’t get it. 

• Like 8
  • Dislike 1

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

Yeah I don't get why the Titans are doing this either. This seems like throwback for throwback's sake. At least with the other teams they're bringing back looks from their past that fans and their city have connected with. The Tennessee Oilers were a complete joke that couldn't get anyone in the state to care about them until they moved into a new stadium and rebranded as the Titans.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

18 minutes ago, TenaciousG said:

With respect to the Oilers throwbacks, who the hell is it actually for? The cynic in me would say the ownership, but Bud Adams passed away and so unless Amy Strunk Adams has some weird personal grieving process that involves the Oilers (in which case the team should have just stayed the Tennessee Oilers), this is applying nostalgia for literally one year of transitional football.

IMO The Oilers’ history should transfer back to Houston, where the vast majority of it was actually played. This should be a Texans’ throwback. If you don’t take the branding with you a la the Colts, you shouldn’t be allowed to take the history. I’m open to being proven wrong on this but I don’t get it. 

Literally two years: '97 Tennessee Oilers in Memphis, '98 in Nashville at Vanderbilt, out of Memphis but not quite the Titans.

It'd be nice if the Oilers' history had stayed in Houston, but it took the government stepping in with Cleveland to get that deal, and for one reason or another, they didn't seem willing to do so for the Oilers. I don't believe any NFL team post-merger should have been allowed to relocate, of course.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Just want to add for the record that I've loved EVERY Seahawks uniform since I was a little kid.

My dad even poked fun at me for wanted a Seahawks helmet when I was little despite being in a rabidly pro-Bears household (it was the Ditka era so fairly typical).

I've long felt that this was a criminally under appreciated idea even though I couldn't tell you whether I thought it was an improvement over the royal and silver.

6d6f4c2cb495b2e7b450e8a7ab3a8e0b.jpg?w=5

spt_21_seahawks_inside_main.jpg

My main complaint being they didn't utilize this look nearly often enough

sdut-green-bay-packers-greg-jenning-2016

They've had a great logo since word go and deploying that in a wrap around design that uses the whole geometry of the helmet made it an instant classic. 

They've looked good in every era and for wildly different reasons. Good for them.

• Like 16

1 hour ago, TenaciousG said:

1 hour ago, ruttep said:

Yeah I don't get why the Titans are doing this either. This seems like throwback for throwback's sake. At least with the other teams they're bringing back looks from their past that fans and their city have connected with. The Tennessee Oilers were a complete joke that couldn't get anyone in the state to care about them until they moved into a new stadium and rebranded as the Titans.

The Titans are doing it because Oilers look is a beloved look and it'll make money and get people in the nostalgia feelings and the Titans have the IP. It's no different than the Hurricanes playing Whalers dress-up. $omebody's got to do it. 

We'll have to wait for the unveiling spiels to see if they reference the Houston Oilers and the Tennessee Oilers or just the Tennessee Oilers or just some vague general "Oilers" history.

• Like 7

IbjBaeE.png

1 hour ago, TenaciousG said:

Bud Adams estate owns and founded the Oilers so it's going nowhere unfortunately although I agree the naming rights should be released/sold to the McNairs in Houston. IMO, it's a total travesty for the Titans organization to hoard arguably one of the best team brands and color combos of all time solely for a twice a decade merch push.