NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

Dave Krieg was a passable quarterback, and Steve Largent got into Canton.

As did Kenny Easley, who people stay forgetting about:

35wxmmdug0e51.jpg

The Legion of Boom before the Legion of Boom.

• Like 5

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

4 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Would also add that this has aged far better than I ever expected:

metcalf-e1658929411935.jpg

With the resurgence of throwbacks and more traditional style uniforms, the current iteration of Seahawks uniforms is quickly becoming outdated. Wouldn’t surprise me if it reached “Reebok unnecessary piping” status.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

With the resurgence of throwbacks and more traditional style uniforms, the current iteration of Seahawks uniforms is quickly becoming outdated. Wouldn’t surprise me if it reached “Reebok unnecessary piping” status.

Not even close, the Cardinals and Bengals looked way more outdated before their redesigns than the current Seahawks will look in 20 years. The only things that really need a small update to keep that set looking nice are getting rid of the design inside the numbers and adding teal to the white and grey pants.

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

39 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

I could maybe see the front striping disappear but the sleeve cap has turned out very well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

Shhhh you’ll awaken the “Utah should be [redacted]” crowd

Do we really need to get bogged down by the Oilers in Houston broken record? It’s not happening. Tennessee and the Adams family clearly choose to keep the name and history to themselves. End of story. Fin.

I'd have no problem with both teams staying the same, but my point was that if one team was going to rebrand it should be Houston. 

3 hours ago, Lights Out said:

I'd argue that the NFL does have some incentive here. Being able to sell proper Houston Oilers merchandise would be a license to print money. I think the bottleneck here is just the Titans themselves.

Nah. The NFL can- and is- selling Houston Oilers gear, because the Titans are wearing the throwbacks. 

They don't need to give it to the Texans, and the Titans have no incentive to do it without a huge payout 

2 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

I'd rather see Tennessee stay the Titans and have Houston go back to being the Oilers.

Between the Texans and Titans it's the Titans with the weaker brand. So I'd rather have the Oilers and Texans around then the Oilers and Titans. 

Besides the Titans are the Oilers. If anyone gets to be the Oilers it's them. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, MNtwins3 said:

Not even close, the Cardinals and Bengals looked way more outdated before their redesigns than the current Seahawks will look in 20 years. The only things that really need a small update to keep that set looking nice are getting rid of the design inside the numbers and adding teal to the white and grey pants.

Cardinals yes, Bengals no. The current Seahawks uniform has so many little details dragging it down that it will not stay "current" forever.

I don't know if its the cycle of contrarianism on this board that has led to this inexplicable groundswell of appreciation for the current Seahawks uniforms, like we saw with the old Patriots and Falcons when they rebranded, but this look was largely lambasted when it came out.  It was seen as the apotheosis of nike-fying a uniform. If anything these are going to be carried by being associated with the best era in team history, not on the merits of the look itself. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Yeah, I remembered that... I just think the other version would look nicer.

Yeah, even if more accurate it's the one part of the throwback that feels botched since it's so bunched.

In general, I feel like modern templates are doing a lot of these designs a favor. Not to say I don't appreciate simple striping, classic logos, etc. but the Seahawks throwbacks look so much better than they did in their day. Less obnoxious sleeve logos, none of that mesh :censored:, bright bold colors... It's such a step up from something that was kinda goofy in comparison.

There are trends like monochrome w/ socks and wearing a t-shirt skirt that look bad now, but in terms of uniform fit the league has progressed so far from the blunder years of giant shoulder pads & crop tops. (Not to say it's wrong to love and embrace the tacky.)

UNPOPULAR OPINION ALERT: I'd toss a lot of shiny pants into the blunder years category as well. In most cases I prefer matte to that early aughts look.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bowld said:

Jets NEED to bring this helmet back full time or at least slap this decal on the current ones. Just look at how much better it looks than the current generic font does

spacer.png

spacer.png

Totally. How much blander can their current helmets be? Yes, our name is the Jets and here is a football so that you know which sport we play.

• Like 7

sig.png

I don’t remember people having a problem with the Oilers throwbacks in 2010. So why are people fake outraging about it now? 🥱

• Like 8

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

37 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Totally. How much blander can their current helmets be? Yes, our name is the Jets and here is a football so that you know which sport we play.

I agree with your outcome, but not how you get there.

The older logo more fits the look of the current uniform by being angular. The current, rounded logo stands out like a sore thumb with that uniform, ESPECIALLY because this logo exists.

• Like 6

It's where I sit.

Just now, DCarp1231 said:

Would’ve prefered a silver helmet Oilers throwback 

spacer.png

Mixed with this throwback uniform, or throwing back to that uniform, as well? I'd be good with the Silver helmet - better than with the baby blue.

It's where I sit.

10 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Mixed with this throwback uniform, or throwing back to that uniform, as well? I'd be good with the Silver helmet - better than with the baby blue.

That specific uniform, but honestly, applicable teams should meld throwbacks together.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

That specific uniform, but honestly, applicable teams should meld throwbacks together.

I hadn't thought about that before your comment, which is why I was asking. I think you could get some disjointed looking unis, but some might look pretty good. We've seen efforts here in the past to use the Lombardi-R helmet with a more recent version of the Washington uniform, for example.

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

2 hours ago, Chromatic said:

I don't know if its the cycle of contrarianism on this board that has led to this inexplicable groundswell of appreciation for the current Seahawks uniforms, but this look was largely lambasted when it came out.  It was seen as the apotheosis of nike-fying a uniform. If anything these are going to be carried by being associated with the best era in team history, not on the merits of the look itself. 

This is it exactly. The Seahawks switched to this current uniform at the exact moment they became one of the NFL's "it" franchises. That gave it a lot more steam than it otherwise would've gotten on it's own merits.

Which is not to say you can't just honestly like this uniform. I don't, and have made that clear, but I'm not going to try to tell someone why they do or don't find something visually appealing. (I'm feeling especially sensitive after being told a handful of times in this very thread that I only like something because of nostalgia, which is an annoying crock.) Maybe you just feel like it's a good example of modern design, or that it's aged well... if you do, good on ya. But I think there's a bunch of elements that would normally be thought of as overly gimmicky (tiny tacked on patterns on the helmet and numbers, chest stripes, wing/feather/whatever motif embedded in the stripes), and the reason they've "aged well", at least in the eyes of the normie fans, is that they've been a part of a whole lot of wins.  If this uniform had ushered in a lousy team, it would probably be on it's way out by now.

• Like 10

The current Seahawks uniform could be good but it’s a classic case of when the designers don’t know when to stop. A few too many design elements detract from what could have been.

spacer.png

If it were me, I’d strip the pattern off the helmet and numbers (it’s currently used in too many different applications, use it only around the collar and pant stripe), find a better number font, minimize the sleeve pattern to just the sleeve caps and take away the stripes across the upper chest.

• Like 5