NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

50 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

Agree.  I said something like this a few weeks back, that every team should have Throwbacks, which would allow for either a “Classic” uniform game every week, or a weekend or two per season when all teams are wearing them.  

This could also guarantee that it’s always Throwback vs Throwback, which is how it should be, IMO; having the “Oilers” in that classic uni playing someone like the Cardinals, Seahawks, or Commanders in their current duds is stupid.  Give me all the nostalgia, all at once.  Take me back, don’t tease me back.

Your point that they should all have H/A Throwbacks would be crucial to that.

In terms of right now, I think 30/32 teams could successfully put out throwback H/A sets. The two teams that would have the most trouble are Carolina and Houston.

Carolina- They could just use the OG set featuring silver numbers blue jersey used for the franchise’s unveiling.

spacer.png

Houston- much like Carolina, the uniform has remained relatively unchanged since its inception. Toss on the white helmet from the unveiling.

spacer.png

Nothing is inherently wrong with either team’s uniform history, but if the league was to undergo such a widespread “promotion”, the Panthers and Texans would feel like non participants. They’d almost have to come up with fauxbacks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

Seems to me like all teams should have a current H/A set and a throwback H/A set.

Just makes things easier

I think this would also help in situations like the Jets where we have two different helmets that are pretty equally beloved by fans. The bills could also keep the standing Buffalo alt and their red helmet. Im sure there are many other examples like the Chargers, WFT, and others but this was what came to mind first.

7 minutes ago, ltjets21 said:

I think this would also help in situations like the Jets where we have two different helmets that are pretty equally beloved by fans. The bills could also keep the standing Buffalo alt and their red helmet. Im sure there are many other examples like the Chargers, WFT, and others but this was what came to mind first.

This is a great point because the Throwback set wouldn’t necessarily have to come from the same era. A home Bills red helmet alt and the standing buffalo away alt is perfectly fine.

48 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

In terms of right now, I think 30/32 teams could successfully put out throwback H/A sets. The two teams that would have the most trouble are Carolina and Houston.

Carolina- They could just use the OG set featuring silver numbers blue jersey used for the franchise’s unveiling.

spacer.png

Houston- much like Carolina, the uniform has remained relatively unchanged since its inception. Toss on the white helmet from the unveiling.

spacer.png

Nothing is inherently wrong with either team’s uniform history, but if the league was to undergo such a widespread “promotion”, the Panthers and Texans would feel like non participants. They’d almost have to come up with fauxbacks.

Houston's current uniform will be their throwback option by next year.

And then there's the Ravens, who can't legally wear their original logo. So unless they put the current logo with the original uniforms for a fauxback, their only option seems to be the 99 uniforms, which most people wouldn't even notice the difference. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I’d be totally fine with the Panthers just keeping their current sets since they’re mostly unchanged.   To me, they’ve become a modern classic.

For Houston, and any other team with an issue, I think fauxbacks would be great; maybe the Texans go with a Luv Ya Blue uni with their logo, or an Oilers-style uni but in Navy/Red and the White helmet.

22 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

Looks like the Browns elf logo might not be at midfield next year. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CvXo1_jrAem/

I'm guessing they go with the new Dawg Pound logo? or maybe the 1946 football? As someone who literally had a dog in the fight, this one is going to hurt bad. But I'm happy for the person who won. It's a solid logo and much better than some of the other potential options. 

Yup they are holding a vote, similar to last season to pick the midfield logo. Dog, Elf, Helmet or just stripes like in 2020-21. Personally I voted for the elf since I really liked it last season.

I doubt anyone is going to vote for the helmet or stripes. 

• Like 1

It's sort of funny... after seeing all of these throwbacks with striped socks, sleeve stripes, etc, somehow it has made the new AZ Cards set look dated already and they haven't even stepped foot on the field 🤣 

I mean, you tell me which one looks out of date. To me, it isn't the throwbacks:

Arizona Cardinals Uniform Reveal - YouTube

The Tennessee Titans Throwback Uniforms Are A Sharp 'Old' Look - Sports  Illustrated Tennessee Titans News, Analysis and More

Pro Football Journal: Seahawks Show Their Throwback Uniforms

• Like 10
  • Applause 1

41 minutes ago, PlayGloria said:

It's sort of funny... after seeing all of these throwbacks with striped socks, sleeve stripes, etc, somehow it has made the new AZ Cards set look dated already and they haven't even stepped foot on the field 🤣 

I mean, you tell me which one looks out of date. To me, it isn't the throwbacks:

Arizona Cardinals Uniform Reveal - YouTube

The Tennessee Titans Throwback Uniforms Are A Sharp 'Old' Look - Sports  Illustrated Tennessee Titans News, Analysis and More

Pro Football Journal: Seahawks Show Their Throwback Uniforms

I wouldn’t say Arizona looks dated. While not the greatest, it’s a solid and safe set. Complete with traditional striping. Much like in comparison to the uniforms you selectively chose to try to prove a point.

Also, you’re comparing Arizona’s entire, very traditionally aesthetic set to two throwback uniforms.

Tennessee- The Titans have one of, if not, the worst regular set in the league. A set that is very much ridiculed by most.

Seattle- Nike’s guinea pig from 2012. All the manufacturer’s aesthetic bells and whistles which pales in comparison to the very traditional throwback of the 90s and rightfully so.

🫴🍒

If you want to accurately portray outdatedness, compare the regular sets of all three teams

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

29 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Y'all, all the Texans have to do for a "throwback" is wear red socks with the blue pants. 

Would much improve the look, too. The all-navy looks boring.

TEX-0693207-H.jpg | SportPics Archive

• Like 9
  • Love 1
oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

2 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

I wouldn’t say Arizona looks dated. While not the greatest, it’s a solid and safe set. Complete with traditional striping. Much like in comparison to the uniforms you selectively chose to try to prove a point.

Also, you’re comparing Arizona’s entire, very traditionally aesthetic set to two throwback uniforms.

Tennessee- The Titans have one of, if not, the worst regular set in the league. A set that is very much ridiculed by most.

Seattle- Nike’s guinea pig from 2012. All the manufacturer’s aesthetic bells and whistles which pales in comparison to the very traditional throwback of the 90s and rightfully so.

🫴🍒

If you want to accurately portray outdatedness, compare the regular sets of all three teams

I agree that AZ's set is much much better than the Titans and Seahawks regular set. But, that wasn't the point of the post. 

Just to counter on the bolded above, the red set has zero striping. And I wouldn't say that a sparkled helmet with monochrome jersey, pants, socks, and shoes isn't "traditional." 

Full disclosure, I actually liked the Cards set when I first saw it, especially hoping that they will mix and match the pants and socks between the sets. But after seeing these throwbacks, it just feels like they leave a lot to be desired. 

11 minutes ago, PlayGloria said:

I agree that AZ's set is much much better than the Titans and Seahawks regular set. But, that wasn't the point of the post. 

Just to counter on the bolded above, the red set has zero striping. And I wouldn't say that a sparkled helmet with monochrome jersey, pants, socks, and shoes isn't "traditional." 

Full disclosure, I actually liked the Cards set when I first saw it, especially hoping that they will mix and match the pants and socks between the sets. But after seeing these throwbacks, it just feels like they leave a lot to be desired. 

Fair points, but again, I’m not sure how comparing individual throwback uniforms to an entire team set is all that accurate of depicting the latter as outdated. Especially considering what came before it.

Comparing the regular sets of all three teams (Arizona, Seattle, Tennessee) and the Cardinals are the clear winners, IMO. There’s nothing flashy about them, they’re moderately traditional*, and take inspiration from past uniforms. They’re everything of what a uniform should look like. So what if the helmet is speckled and the wordmark is on the sleeves. Boo hoo.

Look, it’s obvious the Oilers and Seahawks throwbacks are absolutely the top of their class, but throwbacks have no business being compared to current uniforms.

*Full disclosure, I don’t like monochrome as much as the next guy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, burgundy said:

Houston's current uniform will be their throwback option by next year.

And then there's the Ravens, who can't legally wear their original logo.

If they only send an autographed helmet to Bouchat back in 1996 but still they can send him a significant amount of money.

6 hours ago, monkeypower said:

One of the Sideline Cap offerings for 2023. Why people thought this was a good idea? Don't know.

cY4Pb2q.png

rCfXDW4.png

More like a 2003 but somehow I like them.

4r2eer.png

23 hours ago, HOOVER said:

As a follow-up to my last post:

Looks like Riddell still does most of the NFL, if you peruse the rest of their Twitter feed.

Man, that throwback Jets script on the shiny green shell is ridiculously gorgeous. 

• Like 1