NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

I have no problems with the jersey. It's a fine looking jersey. Unfortunately, the jersey is not the only part of the uniform. And I simply cannot ignore the complete disaster that is their pants/socks decisions. Until they fix that, the new Patriots uniforms are firmly bottom-tier.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

It also has the unfortunate context of being adopted the season after Tom Brady left. They’ll always be the “regression to the mean” set, tainted by their association with the team falling apart.

This is the same issue as the Cavs’ early 2010s uniform set, after Lebron left for the first time. It looked good, but it was tainted by that association with the “austerity” years in between Lebron’s two tenures.

In fairness, the Cavs won their title in those very uniforms after Lebron returned.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

These current Patriots uniforms are a nice mix of the historic uniforms with the modern brand in terms of style. You've got the striping pattern from the 60s on the jerseys with the block font combined with the coloring of the Brady years.

84836609.0.jpg

logan-mankins.jpg

ZMQ6KB3X6NTOMGMAZDORBDYPSU.jpg

If the goal was to incorporate the modern colors into a traditional Patriots uniform, you couldn't do a better job of it than this IMO. 

They should've kept the previous font though. The block numbers are what have never looked right on this set. 

I have no problems with the jersey. It's a fine looking jersey. Unfortunately, the jersey is not the only part of the uniform. And I simply cannot ignore the complete disaster that is their pants/socks decisions. Until they fix that, the new Patriots uniforms are firmly bottom-tier.

This is exactly how I feel about the Colts new alternates. I absolutely love the jersey. I wouldn't even be mad if they made those their primaries. But the mono-blue and especially the black helmet completely ruin the look. Put that jersey with white pants and helmet, it would be one of the best looks in the NFL.

• Like 1

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

35 minutes ago, bbush24 said:

Really interesting and in-depth episode about uniforms the NFL just put out. There's a few quotes that made me roll my eyes, but overall it made me appreciate how much goes into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsJkeN-9RB0&ab_channel=NFLThrowback

I love when they say how tight the players want the uniforms, while how many now like having the undershirt sticking out? (which they show older clips of being cut off)

Also too Nike centric, love when they say all the work they do into a new design and such then you see the Titans uniforms.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, BadSeed84 said:

I love when they say how tight the players want the uniforms, while how many now like having the undershirt sticking out? (which they show older clips of being cut off)

Also too Nike centric, love when they say all the work they do into a new design and such then you see the Titans uniforms.

I almost spit out my water when the creative director said that when designing uniforms they have a "reductive approach." Testing what they can take away to streamline/simply the designs.

While I think Nike has had some good and bad. I always feel like even their best uniforms have a few elements that are completely unnecessary.

Then there are some sets that are dialed up to 100 and they threw every idea they had at them. Imagine looking at the Rams, Titans, old Browns, Jags, and Bucs and saying they were reductive.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

I almost spit out my water when the creative director said that when designing uniforms they have a "reductive approach." Testing what they can take away to streamline/simply the designs.

While I think Nike has had some good and bad. I always feel like even their best uniforms have a few elements that are completely unnecessary.

Then there are some sets that are dialed up to 100 and they threw every idea they had at them. Imagine looking at the Rams, Titans, old Browns, Jags, and Bucs and saying they were reductive.

Eh, several redesigns have been quite simple. Vikings and Dolphins both look semi-traditional. Jaguars are too simple for their own good. Lions don’t look overly busy, they just refuse to wear the right combinations. Same for Jets. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Eh, several redesigns have been quite simple. Vikings and Dolphins both look semi-traditional. Jaguars are too simple for their own good. Lions don’t look overly busy, they just refuse to wear the right combinations. Same for Jets. 

With the Lions I'm still wondering how they were ever allowed to wear white pants. They literally don't match with anything, they're just plain white. No design or thought put into them.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3

2 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

I don't think they're lying about this. See: Jacksonville, Arizona, Miami, Atlanta - not to mention a lot of what they've done in other sports recently. If anything, they've gone too far with being reductive.

But if the team doesn't want that approach, they have to try something else, like those ugly Commanders uniforms that Dan Snyder's wife insisted on.

• Like 3

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

I don't think they're lying about this. See: Jacksonville, Arizona, Miami, Atlanta - not to mention a lot of what they've done in other sports recently. If anything, they've gone too far with being reductive.

But if the team doesn't want that approach, they have to try something else, like those ugly Commanders uniforms that Dan Snyder's wife insisted on.

Owners designing the uniforms with their personal preferences is bad enough. Now we have the owner's spouse (otherwise not involved with the team) being the primary designer? Thank goodness the Snyders are gone.

3 hours ago, ruttep said:

With the Lions I'm still wondering how they were ever allowed to wear white pants. They literally don't match with anything, they're just plain white. No design or thought put into them.

For real. If you must have white pants (they didn't) you can't even put stripes on them? It's like the players said "we wanna wear all icy white" and they just ran to Dick's.

Or are stripeless pants cool now and I missed it? Who other than FSU, Notre Dame, Penn St.  and Michigan (and even they put stripes on the white ones and you can argue the navy ones suck) pulls off stripeless pants? (And none are NFL teams) And honestly they probably only do cause it's always been that way. And in FSU/ND/Michigan's case the gold/maize color is able to stand out on its own.

Ravens black pants look like crap, Saints white and black pants look like crap. I'm sure I'm forgetting others.

Waiting for them to wear them with the blue jerseys that feature no white at all. You know that day is coming and it's gonna be mismatched Rams bad.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

7 hours ago, bbush24 said:

Really interesting and in-depth episode about uniforms the NFL just put out. There's a few quotes that made me roll my eyes, but overall it made me appreciate how much goes into it.

I wanted to post same movie, because youtube algorithm threw me it on proposal.

I didn't know there is something like a uniform police on a games.

I'm also kinda disappointed they didn't mention CCSLC in "Fandom" chapter, but on the other hand many of concepts there are better than real product so it might be why.

7 hours ago, BadSeed84 said:

True, but nike is now a supplier so it's understandable. If  it was reebok they would be reebok centric.

PS: Has Brendan ever blinks? I feel like his eyes want to suck out my soul through tv.

• Like 1

4r2eer.png

59 minutes ago, VikWings said:

For real. If you must have white pants (they didn't) you can't even put stripes on them? It's like the players said "we wanna wear all icy white" and they just ran to Dick's.

Or are stripeless pants cool now and I missed it? Who other than FSU, Notre Dame, Penn St.  and Michigan (and even they put stripes on the white ones and you can argue the navy ones suck) pulls off stripeless pants? (And none are NFL teams) And honestly they probably only do cause it's always been that way. And in FSU/ND/Michigan's case the gold/maize color is able to stand out on its own.

Ravens black pants look like crap, Saints white and black pants look like crap. I'm sure I'm forgetting others.

Waiting for them to wear them with the blue jerseys that feature no white at all. You know that day is coming and it's gonna be mismatched Rams bad.

-The Cardinals' red stripeless pants are horrible.

-The Jaguars can pull it off depending on their jersey/sock choice. The Commies also wear contrasting socks with their burgundy and white stripeless pants from time to time, but their jerseys are so bad that it doesn't matter, they still look terrible (this year they've done all white a whole bunch of times and it does not work)

• Like 4

On 11/9/2023 at 12:22 PM, SFGiants58 said:

It also has the unfortunate context of being adopted the season after Tom Brady left. They’ll always be the “regression to the mean” set, tainted by their association with the team falling apart.

This is the same issue as the Cavs’ early 2010s uniform set, after Lebron left for the first time. It looked good, but it was tainted by that association with the “austerity” years in between Lebron’s two tenures.

You’d have a point if Lebron didn’t come back and win in those uniforms

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

He did, but how much of that winning was in the white and burgundy jerseys the set came with and not in the myriad of alternates introduced when he came back?

Like the hideous black alt with a massive logo in front…you know, the one in which they won their only championship?

I know I'm being Unfair to LeBron, but a lot of the NBA uniform weirdness we have now lies right at the feet of the mid-2000s Cavaliers, who, rather than using LeBron to elevate the team's brand for the long term, went for short-term gains by creating as many LeBron jerseys to sell as they could with the CavFanatic mashups. I don't think the NFL has fallen to point-and-click recolors yet, but they will.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 11/10/2023 at 9:56 AM, bbush24 said:

Either it was too early in the morning or I was too tired from work last night, or both...but I made it through about six minutes of that film before I shut it off. Couldn't deal with the swoosh-aggrandizing blathering going on. Maybe I'll finish it another day.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

7 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I know I'm being Unfair to LeBron, but a lot of the NBA uniform weirdness we have now lies right at the feet of the mid-2000s Cavaliers, who, rather than using LeBron to elevate the team's brand for the long term, went for short-term gains by creating as many LeBron jerseys to sell as they could with the CavFanatic mashups. I don't think the NFL has fallen to point-and-click recolors yet, but they will.

I feel like the five-year rule is the only thing preventing the NFL from slipping into true uniform anarchy