2023 NFL Offseason thread

Cujo

20 hours ago, tBBP said:

You forgot one. THE one, if you ask me...

1427343090.jpeg

19 hours ago, the admiral said:

Head writer for a single-camera sitcom that's Actually Really Heartwarming

Former head writer of the Daily Show and Netflix's MST3K:

maxresdefault.jpg

Just give him a Miami tan...

22 hours ago, BBTV said:

Re: Andy Reid - can you believe he was only 40 in these photos?  He certainly didn't abuse his body with cigarettes or alcohol, so it's just the extra weight and mustache that make him look so much older... at least to me.

At the time, he was the second youngest HC behind Jon Gruden, and everyone (especially here) thought it was crazy to have 1) such a young guy as head coach, and 2) a guy that had never even been a coordinator.  

hPAlcHNa3v0fsj5m.jpg

AP_ANDY-REID-940X540.jpg

I assume that was before he discovered Hawaiian shirts.  

Hurts gets 5/$255M, with $179M guaranteed. 

Knew it’d be big, but wow. 

Edit: full no trade. Surprised they didn’t tack on extra years for cap purposes. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Sounds like it doesn't kick till after this year, so they still have plenty of money to sign guys that get cut at the last minute like James Bradbury and CJGJ last year.

He's arguably the 3rd (and mayyyyyyyybe in the discussion for 2nd, but probably not) best QB right now, and the local reception to the deal (so far) is overwhelmingly positive, except for the no-trade.  Usually a team gets something in return for granting a no-trade, and I'm not sure what the Eagles got  here.  They didn't get any phony extra years, and a 70% guarantee sounds about normal.  Unless his camp went in demanding full guarantee and this was the negotiation?  Biggest risk is that he is such a big part of their offensive from a running perspective that he's at risk of being injured or burning out, and they'll have to figure out a way to choose their spots with him a little more.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 minute ago, GDAWG said:

Burrow, Herbert, TLaw are the next three.  I'd wait with Tua. 

Yeah.  The Eagles obviously wanted to go first, since at least Burrow is going to get more.  Had Burrow gone first and demolished the ceiling, that would have made things a lot more difficult for everyone.  Now Burrow, who I think many would consider the 2nd-best QB, has more clarity into what the market is.

Funny thing is that if Hurts was a 1st-round pick, this wouldn't even be a thing till next year.  While he had an unusual path to getting PAID, it really benefited him to not be a top pick.  I'm struggling to think of a parallel (but there's certainly some.)  Benched in college, projected a 3rd or 4th round project pick, picked in 2nd by Eagles who had just signed Wentz to a huge deal, so the pick was ridiculed by fans and media and he probably hated it because (at the time) there was no path to him being anything other than a gadget guy, and now he's a top guy in the league - and at least for the moment - the highest paid.

5 hours ago, GDAWG said:

And of those QBs, there's one thing we know for sure:

And the stadium political quibbles continue:

https://tennesseelookout.com/2023/04/17/titans-stadium-deal-opponents-slip-in-language-to-redirect-funds-to-taxpayers-pandemonium-ensues/

Of note is the fee/tax slid on by one councilman that redirects some of that revenue into the city's general fund; that has become the point of contention as opponents of his amendment claim that those fees/taxes would render rent costs for collegiate events and, namely, the CMAs, "too cost prohibitive".

Still, though...2.1 billion dollars for this stadium project...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Another tidbit about the Hurts contract - while I don’t know the exact details, there’s something about how they structured his payouts (he gets $110M cash up front, the. $69M at some future time in lump sums) that reduce his cap hit to a max of $17M over the first 3 years of the deal (starting in ‘24 since he’s playing on his rookie deal this year) then there’s some way they can renegotiate and give him new money while maintaining a low cap hit.  It’s something to do with the timing of the payments and how they can spread them over the duration of the contract (I guess it works like signing bonuses) but he’ll never see the second guarantee payment unless he sucks - they’d just rip it up and give him a whole new deal. 

Contrast that to Daniel Jones, who’s cap hit is somewhere around $30M this season alone, then I think more after that. 

So basically, the Hurts contact isn’t going to damage the Eagles ability to spend nearly as much as most starting QB contracts do. 

If he’s great, they’ll just keep playing with his contract and keeping the number low until they eventually have to eat it (at which point they’ll be bad anyway). If he ends up sucking or getting hurt, they can cut him in 3 or 4 seasons, pay the second part of the guarantee and take the dead-money hit for either one season or split across too. Either way, not too bad. 

While this may not be big for the rest of the league, this is huge for Bengals Nation.  After 21 years the Bengals have switched chili partners from Gold Star to Skyline.  All of the local sports venues (Reds, FCC, UC, XU, NKU, Cyclones) all serve Skyline. The Bengals were the only one with Gold Star. Whats more ironic is whenever the networks would show the clips coming back from commercial break of the chili parlor, ladling chili, the clip was usually always of Skyline, and not Gold Star.

FuEtO8KWAAANlh4?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Like 2

Signature intentionally left blank

18 minutes ago, heavybass said:

League descends down on the Lions for some ungodly reason other than let's :censored: up their season before the year begins.

Could it be that the ungodly reason is that these dumbasses broke the rule that they, and every player in the league, has drummed into their heads from the day they’re signed?

When the organization that is paying you millions of dollars tells you to especially avoid doing this one specific thing, how hard is it to just not do that thing? 

Morons.  Got what’s coming to them. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

On 4/19/2023 at 12:57 PM, Dilbert said:

While this may not be big for the rest of the league, this is huge for Bengals Nation.  After 21 years the Bengals have switched chili partners from Gold Star to Skyline.  All of the local sports venues (Reds, FCC, UC, XU, NKU, Cyclones) all serve Skyline. The Bengals were the only one with Gold Star. Whats more ironic is whenever the networks would show the clips coming back from commercial break of the chili parlor, ladling chili, the clip was usually always of Skyline, and not Gold Star.

FuEtO8KWAAANlh4?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Why did they use a shot of Paycor Stadium that looks away from the Skyline? My hottest Cincinnati take is that Gold Star isn't terrible, it's just only ~92% as good as Skyline and because there's Skylines everywhere there's basically no reason to ever go to Gold Star. My dad loves Gold Star for some reason or I know other people who act like it's poison while loving Skyline, which makes no sense when it's barely different. It's good news for Bengals games, though - I once ate a Gold Star coney at a Bengals game and the cheese was frozen, the chili was painfully hot, the bun was frozen, and the hot dog was frozen. It was like eating an ice cream casserole. That's probably the fault of the stadium staff, though. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

41 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Could it be that the ungodly reason is that these dumbasses broke the rule that they, and every player in the league, has drummed into their heads from the day they’re signed?

When the organization that is paying you millions of dollars tells you to especially avoid doing this one specific thing, how hard is it to just not do that thing? 

Morons.  Got what’s coming to them. 

Agree. This is a good thing.

The NFL and other American sports leagues are very, very stupid for putting gambling above everything else, but that only works if the games are legitimate.

It's way too easy for guys to influence the outcomes of games that they have a betting stake in. It seems obvious that they shouldn't be doing that, but sometimes you need to reinforce the point with major penalties.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

With as deep as the league is in with the gambling companies, I could see penalties being raised to the point of lifetime bans.

It really only takes evidence that one game may not have been on the level for the whole thing to come crumbling down.  Of course, I think they'd find that evidence if they dug deep enough, but it would be much easier if it was players themselves not putting forth max effort to breakup a pass that lead to a TD that allowed the losing team to cover.

• Like 1