2023 NFL Offseason thread

Cujo

Just now, gosioux76 said:

In order to wear that number, John Hadl had to agree to give up his hair. 

It was like the Little Mermaid voice-for-legs thing.

• LOL 2

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 4/26/2023 at 9:01 PM, BBTV said:

If those minimum-require numbers are true, I have to assume the people behind the stadium aren't idiots, an they'll get there - even if via temporary seating. LFF "only" holds 67k, but can go up to 80k with temporary bleachers in the SRO sections (unless some of their newer permastructures cut down on that.)   My biggest problem with this is the cover, though that's obviously needed in order for them to host these events.  Just wish it could be retractable, always open for football, and a truly open stadium - not just a hole in the roof.

But... even if they do get a Super Bowl (which seems to be the norm for a new stadium, even if just a one-time thing), will the NCAA work them into their rotation?  When was the last time a team was added to their championship rotation?  Will the influx of new events really justify a new >1B investment for a structure that will still remain empty most of the time?

• The Titans' new stadium will be already expensive and already complex with a roof that is fixed and not retractable.  Besides, the emergence of mass production of lightweight, translucent ethylene tetrafluoroethylene (ETFE) roof panels for large buildings is further helping to reduce demand for retractable roofs and revitalize the appeal of fixed roofs at large sports venues, as evidenced by U.S. Bank Stadium, SoFi Stadium, and Allegiant Stadium.
  • Sure, a retractable roof that exposes an entire stadium when open and is somehow required to be open at all times during every football game is an easy thing to desire if and when one believes in a nostalgic, romantic notion that every football game must always expose everyone present to the elements.  Unfortunately, such a roof would be even more complex and even more costly than something that exposes only the playing surface and leaves a canopy over the stands when open.  Even worse, such a harsh restriction on the roof's use would (a) subject football games at that stadium to lightning delays that each tend to last at least thirty minutes and that could be avoided completely if the roof were allowed to be closed for a football game; (b) force the stadium's staff to choose between opening the roof shortly before each football game and closing it shortly after each football game (thus putting needless wear and tear on the roof and its related mechanisms just for the sake of maximizing the number of indoor events held between football games) or leaving the roof open all throughout the football preseason, regular season, and postseason (thus requiring the stadium to pass up opportunities for indoor events for almost half of every year and putting the roof at risk of being stuck permanently in either an open state or a closed state due to underuse of the opening-and-closing mechanism(s)); and (c) disqualify the stadium from hosting a Super Bowl and/or a College Football Playoff championship game unless winters are very mild at the stadium's location.
  • Between Nashville's basic appeal to tourists and the NCAA's unsettling combination of an apparent desperation for more venue choices for the Division I men's basketball Final Four and an apparent unwillingness to bring that event back to traditional basketball arenas, I have a very easy time seeing an indoor home of the Titans becoming one of the most frequent hosts of the men's (or even women's) NCAA D-I hoops Final Four.  Furthermore, I would not rule out the Southeastern Conference -- which almost always holds either its men's basketball tournament or its women's hoops tourney at downtown Nashville's Bridgestone Arena these days -- utilizing the Titans' new stadium for at least one men's tourney in that sport.

On 4/26/2023 at 11:53 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

It was talked about earlier here, but the concrete structure of Nissan Field was incorrectly built. It lacks appropriate rebar in places. It isn't repairable.

As I see it, the best-case scenario for a claim that Nissan Stadium was built so shoddily as to require an outright replacement would be if the stadium's construction happened to have used materials and/or techniques that have ended up being ill-suited to the humid subtropical climate that Nashville and most other parts of the South have.  If so, then the Titans would be at least the second major-league professional sports team in the South to undergo a venue replacement due to seemingly unforeseen flaws in a previous venue's construction.  A big reason why the Omni Coliseum, the NBA Hawks' first permanent home arena in Atlanta, gave way to what is now State Farm Arena was that the weathering (that is, deliberately pre-oxidated) steel that dominated the exterior of that venue proved to be far less durable and far more prone to continued corrosion in Atlanta's climate than in climates that are decidedly cooler (such as in Pittsburgh, whose U.S. Steel Tower has a weathering steel exterior) and/or drier.

We all know Bryce Young is going first, but what are the Texans doing? I’ve heard anywhere from taking CJ Stroud to Will Anderson Jr.  I’m thinking they’re going Quarterback. As much as Anderson is the BPA, I think they need that QB. Cardinals I think will trade with Tennessee and move down to 11 with the Titans taking Richardson, Colts will take Levis, Carter going to Seattle and Anderson or Witherspoon to Detroit 

Smart move for the Lions, Witherspoon was their guy and the Seahawks took him. That pick pissed me off. Let’s hope they avoid Gonzalez, just don’t think he’ll be the player the Lions need. But also happy the Cards(my number 2 team) took Johnson. He’ll be good for the protection for Murray.

Beyond excited that the Panthers got Young. I think he's the best QB in the draft and he was my choice for number 1 overall. I can't wait to see him in a Panthers uniform and I think he'll be a star in Charlotte.

the user formerly known as cdclt

The only thing dumber than drafting an RB in the first round is losing half of your starters to a gambling suspension.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I don't know much about these college players (though I've obviously heard the hype around a few of them) but WTF is Atlanta doing drafting a RB?  Isn't that something only dummy teams do in the 1st round unless they're already really really really good and can afford a luxury pick?  Seems a little stupid considering they're a last place team with lots of needs, and he's unlikely to see a second contract (and unlikely to be there by the time they're good... if that even ever happens.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

With regards to Levis, the Rams at pick 36, Tennessee at 41, Washington at 47, or even Tampa Bay at 50 make some sense. He could develop a year in any of those places (maybe longer if in LA). If he slides past all of them, however, then there must be a massive red flag somewhere. Turf toe, arrogance, too much mayo in coffee, who knows. 

Minnesota is another team I would think could be in the QB market as an heir-apparent to Cousins, but they don’t pick again until 87. I think Levis and Hooker will be gone by then, but if by chance one of them are still there, that’d be a great place to take a shot.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png