2023 NFL Offseason thread

Cujo

Ravens LB Patrick Queen is reportedly “disgruntled” with Baltimore after the team drafted a LB this past weekend and apparently the Eagles are the favorites to trade for him.

Take the report with a grain of salt considering the “source”-

Is refusing to pay for things in spite of great wealth and being a repulsive piece of :censored: correlation or causation?  

• Like 3
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

So a lot of mock drafts have Caleb Williams going to the Cardinals.  I think that they are one of four teams with a really good shot at the #1 overall pick with the Falcons, Commanders and Packers. 

I don't think Arthur Smith and Ron Rivera are going to be around next year.  

I haven't watch USC football, but is Caleb Williams really that great? He seems to be getting a lot of praise, but who's to say he isn't just another Kyler Murray? Again, I haven't watched him play so I don't entirely know, but I have heard he has some character/maturity concerns.

Caleb Williams is a far better passer than Kyler and has far more upside as an NFL QB, but there are definitely concerns about being immature. Reminds me a bit of Mahomes in terms of play style, though that's a very generous comparison. I'm an OU fan and watched both him and Kyler play, Caleb Williams has one of the best arms I've seen from a college QB. I'm still bitter that he transferred out of OU just to follow Lincoln Riley, but that's neither here nor there. If he can keep his ego in check he'll be an absolute stud.  

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

Caleb Williams is that guy. He's incredible. He's got an insane arm, great vision, he's got all the traits of a star. He's not even "immature", he's 21. He's still in college, he's allowed to be a  little goofy. The biggest "controversy" was when he painted "F*** UTAH" on his fingernails before the PAC-12 Championship Game, which I've got absolutely zero problem with. He's a competitor, through and through. Any team would be lucky to have him.

• Like 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

9 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

What is with everyone thinking the Commanders are a guaranteed top 5 pick? 

Seriously, give me one good reason that isn’t the Quarterback.

Ron Rivera, and that combined with qb are about 90% of what determine your season

• Like 1

Well this is interesting (if true):

"Reportedtly", the Snatit attempted to trade Tannehill to the Falcons during the draft. Story goes on to say that they may still look to do so during the season. 

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

3 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Well this is interesting (if true):

"Reportedtly", the Snatit attempted to trade Tannehill to the Falcons during the draft. Story goes on to say that they may still look to do so during the season. 

OOF. Atlanta signed Taylor Heinicke who is coming off a high as starter and fan favorite in Washington. He’s a super reliable backup who you’d want behind Ridder. Didn’t Tannehill say last offseason that he wouldn’t mentor Malik Willis? Why would he do the same for Ridder? At least Heinicke pushed for Sam Howell to start Week 17.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Didn’t Tannehill say last offseason that he wouldn’t mentor Malik Willis?

I don't know why it's expected that a veteran QB "mentor" his eventual replacement.  What does that even mean?  Sit in 1-on-1 meetings with him and tell him how to play QB better?  I think things like this are non-stories that are crafted when someone wants to put out negative press about a player, whether deserving or not.  I don't know the first thing about Tannehill, but this wouldn't concern me.

7 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

And that's a great reason to get rid of Heinicke.  It's one thing when it's a HOF QB looking to take a day off give a young guy a chance in a meaningless game, but Heinicke needs every opportunity he can get to prove himself, and the number one thing I think any coach wants in a player is that they want to play and compete - and this guy went against his coaches and said he didn't want to play?  That likely sealed his fate in DC - and if not, it should have.  He's in no position to do that, no matter now noble he thinks he's being.  Instant cut.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

21 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I don't know why it's expected that a veteran QB "mentor" his eventual replacement.  What does that even mean?  Sit in 1-on-1 meetings with him and tell him how to play QB better?  I think things like this are non-stories that are crafted when someone wants to put out negative press about a player, whether deserving or not.  I don't know the first thing about Tannehill, but this wouldn't concern me.

And that's a great reason to get rid of Heinicke.  It's one thing when it's a HOF QB looking to take a day off give a young guy a chance in a meaningless game, but Heinicke needs every opportunity he can get to prove himself, and the number one thing I think any coach wants in a player is that they want to play and compete - and this guy went against his coaches and said he didn't want to play?  That likely sealed his fate in DC - and if not, it should have.  He's in no position to do that, no matter now noble he thinks he's being.  Instant cut.

Idk, I’d like to think Heinicke was playing chess.

Personally, I loved Heinicke and the way he played. He absolutely competed to the very end, but at the end of the day, none of us know what was said in the conversation. Heinicke seemed to have built up enough trust between himself and coaches for him to be able to make the call. It worked too. Howell showed enough to the the coaches to be named the apparent starter for 2023.

Supposedly, Wentz, Heinicke, and Howell were super close and supportive with one another all last season. It’s no surprise any of this transpired.

The funny part is, the coaches repeatedly went against him (Heinicke) when faced with the “Should Wentz start again?” question. Not the other way around.

2 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

It worked too.

It didn't work for Heinicke, who ended up on the street despite being obviously being the people's choice and one of the few players that people seemed to genuinely tune in to see on that team.  I certainly liked the guy.  I just don't see how winning at chess ends up with you losing your job and any chance at ever being a starter.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

It didn't work for Heinicke, who ended up on the street despite being obviously being the people's choice and one of the few players that people seemed to genuinely tune in to see on that team.  I certainly liked the guy.  I just don't see how winning at chess ends up with you losing your job and any chance at ever being a starter.

I don’t know if his chances at starting are completely shot, though. Ridder’s the starter for now in Atlanta, but there’s no guarantee that experiment will work or last all season. I could absolutely see a situation where Heinicke steps in at some point, and I think he’s actually put himself in a decent position to do so if needed.

Heinicke strikes me as a guy that 1) is truly grateful to be playing in the NFL after journeying a bit, and 2) clearly understands his role on a team and what he can offer. Let’s be real here: he hadn’t outright “earned” a long-term starting position in Washington, he started out of necessity due to injuries and such. Was he really going to get that chance to start this coming season in Washington when the brass was that high on Howell? Probably not. I don’t know if I’d call it “chess” per se, but Heinicke did seem to understand that Howell was going to be given the keys at some point. It wasn’t a bad idea to start looking elsewhere. Fast forward to now, and Heinicke got a nice pay raise backing up a quarterback in Atlanta that the jury is still out on, all while surrounded by some pretty significant talent in Drake London, Kyle Pitts, and Bijan Robinson. That’s not a bad gig with some potential for more opportunity, if you ask me.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

53 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

It wasn’t a bad idea to start looking elsewhere.

True, but the best way to "start looking elsewhere" is to put out as much good tape as possible, and he denied himself that opportunity.  It's just like "meaningless" preseason games.  They're not meaningless for the players who may know that they're getting cut, but want to play well on film so that other teams can see them.

I'm not going to beat a dead horse and go on about this because I like the guy, I just think it looks weak to pull yourself from a start that would only have benefited you - in multiple ways, even if not with Washington - to make.