2023 NFL Offseason thread

Cujo

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/13/many-teams-that-opposed-thursday-flexing-got-two-short-week-games/

Are the teams who are playing twice on Thursdays who opposed the Thursday flexing a coincidence? This also happens because teams like the Cardinals, Colts, Falcons, and Texans don't have a pimetime game.

Also, doesn't this go against the competitive advantage that the league was trying to alleviate? 

12 hours ago, gothedistance said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/13/many-teams-that-opposed-thursday-flexing-got-two-short-week-games/

Are the teams who are playing twice on Thursdays who opposed the Thursday flexing a coincidence? This also happens because teams like the Cardinals, Colts, Falcons, and Texans don't have a pimetime game.

Also, doesn't this go against the competitive advantage that the league was trying to alleviate

Where did they say they were doing that? They're about making money, and better ratings means more money.

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

On 5/14/2023 at 4:11 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

Where did they say they were doing that? They're about making money, and better ratings means more money.

And they pretend to care about player safety or other stuff while being all about the mighty dollar. There's going to be disadvantage with teams who have to play Thursday nights twice, and the teams could do poorly, as if that wasn't bad enough already.

In 2012 the league made every team have at least 1 primetime game. Of course, that was back then. Before that, only some teams had Thursday night games while others didn't. The teams who didn't have a Thursday night game had an advantage over the teams who did have them.

On 5/12/2023 at 6:10 PM, Red Comet said:

They Bare Bears

Still, can't believe that the Lions are going to be the sacrifice team the Chiefs open the season against. 

Who said it’s going to be a sacrifice? Could be a good game. They stacked their biggest weakness which is the secondary and that offense is exciting to watch. Honestly think it could be an exciting game 

4 hours ago, Gary said:

Who said it’s going to be a sacrifice? Could be a good game. They stacked their biggest weakness which is the secondary and that offense is exciting to watch. Honestly think it could be an exciting game 

They’ve gotten good but they’re not that good. I may eat my words if they win but as of right now, I’d take the Chiefs by 10-14.

• LOL 1

1 hour ago, Red Comet said:

They’ve gotten good but they’re not that good. I may eat my words if they win but as of right now, I’d take the Chiefs by 10-14.

I say 7, they did hang around the Bills last year when everyone thought they were going to get blown out 

• Like 1

The issue is that the script is written by the league itself and the referees are their way of attempting to execute it.

That clip was great, and honestly, the NFL would be a lot more entertaining if it was written more like WWE, but even in that case, save for the couple of teams that would have "creative control", the league's writers would need to script some teams as jobbers (which they kinda already do) and some to be the "LOL Cena wins" or "LOL Roman wins" teams... which they kinda already do (though instead of Solo Sokoa interference at the end, we get questionable referee calls.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Minor news- Saints and Bucs in legal dispute over use of “Krewe”. Seems like more of a New Orleans thing IMO.

Tampa has had the Gasparilla parade in town since 1904 and krewes are part of the local community.  Hardly just a Mardi Gras thing.

• Like 2