2023 NFL Offseason thread

Cujo

11 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

At the very least, he could be a wildcat guy for a team.

Seems like if he was to be a bench guy, he may be the kind of guy the Eagles take on as a project as their #3 behind Mariota (with goal of supplanting him in a season or two).  Other than a situation like that, not sure if there's a good place other than a team that has no QB and will take the risk that he's a star that just had a rough start.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

He was keeping the Titans in that game against the Chiefs last year.

"He looked ok in one game"

Willis looked completely lost out there. On almost every dropback, he dismissed open receivers and tried to create with his leg --  and his legs aren't fast enough to get him anywhere in the pros.

So ya, he'll be XFL bound by 2025.

6uXNWAo.png

Okay, so Will Levis has gained a better fate in this year's NFL Draft than what I predicted.  With that said, I hope that Levis recognizes and understands how his new status as a Titans draftee is causing the Titans organization to suffer its second self-inflicted public relations black eye this week, so soon after swaying the Nashville Metro and Tennessee state governments to commit more than a billion dollars of public money to help the team build an indoor replacement for Nissan Stadium.

As I type this, a clear majority of the Levis-related comments that fellow Titans fans of mine have made public via Twitter are angry, bitter disapprovals of that selection ... and express a belief, which I happen to share, that the Titans would have been far smarter to spend that pick on University of Tennessee quarterback Hendon Hooker.  At least choosing a QB from the most popular college football team in the Titans' current home state would have helped to soften the blow of the stadium deal.  By contrast, the drafting of Levis -- coming from what is both a neighboring state's flagship public university and a longtime rival of the Vols in multiple sports -- seems to have taken a barrel full of 93-octane gasoline from the Exxon station bordering Nissan Stadium's parking lot and poured it onto the fire of widespread public furor over so many tax dollars going to the Titans' new digs.  While the University of Kentucky may not be a traditional powerhouse in football, it is still easy for me, at least, to imagine my (and any other Titans fan's) personal displeasure over the choice of Levis over Hooker being precisely what many fans of the Detroit Lions -- who took Hooker last night in the draft's third round -- would feel and express if and when the Lions choose to draft a skill position player from The Ohio State University instead of a comparably talented and equally available University of Michigan player at the same position.

Another thing that I am noticing in the realm of "Titans Twitter" is a common labeling of Levis as "Jake Locker 2.0" -- a concern that Levis has too many of the same flaws as the University of Washington QB that the Titans selected in the 2011 draft's first round.  If you ask me, an at least equally valid and equally unflattering comparison of Levis to a past Titans draft pick at QB would be to the 2006 draft's third overall pick, Vince Young ... with Hendon Hooker being the equivalent of whom I have always wished that the Titans took with that pick, Matt Leinart.  While Young may have been a great all-around athlete, his subpar passing skills and his poor mental approach toward the QB position per se led him to underachieve constantly as an NFL player.  Meanwhile, Leinart's professional playing career got off on the utterly wrong foot thanks to the stubbornly pathetic customs of the Arizona Cardinals organization, and he ended up spending most of his NFL playing days as a backup.  Worst of all, IMO, is that the Titans were preparing for their second season with Norm Chow, who had overseen Heisman Trophy winner Leinart and his teammates on USC's offense, as their offensive coordinator ... and then proceeded to blow a golden opportunity to reunite Chow with Leinart!

I have always regarded -- and probably will always regard -- the selection of Vince Young to have been a lose-lose situation for the Titans and Matt Leinart.  I think that the Titans would have won more games and enjoyed more and deeper postseason runs had they chosen Leinart in the first round in 2006, and Leinart would have enjoyed a longer and more fruitful career as an NFL player had the Titans been the team that brought him into the league.  Similarly, I fear that going with Will Levis will create a lose-lose scenario for the Titans and Hendon Hooker.  Barring an intensive sharpening of multiple physical and mental skills relevant to the QB position, Levis seems to be at risk of playing less reliably than Hooker would do if all things are equal.  Meanwhile, the Detroit Lions -- who, like the Arizona Cardinals, have a decades-long reputation for chronic organizational incompetency -- may very well waste and ruin Hooker as a player in the same way that the Cardinals seemed to waste and ruin Leinart.

15 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The Wildcat? I know it feels like the financial world is on the brink of collapse, but that doesn’t make it 2008. 

But seriously, the Chiefs have always been shredded by mobile quarterbacks. :censored:ing Johnny Manzel looked like a pro against them. It’s why I lowkey thought the Eagles were going to win the Super Bowl. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Walk-Off said:

Titans would have been far smarter to spend that pick on University of Tennessee quarterback Hendon Hooker.  At least choosing a QB from the most popular college football team in the Titans' current home state would have helped to soften the blow of the stadium deal. 

While the University of Kentucky may not be a traditional powerhouse in football, it is still easy for me, at least, to imagine my (and any other Titans fan's) personal displeasure over the choice of Levis over Hooker being precisely what many fans of the Detroit Lions -- who took Hooker last night in the draft's third round -- would feel and express if and when the Lions choose to draft a skill position player from The Ohio State University instead of a comparably talented and equally available University of Michigan player at the same position.

Another thing that I am noticing in the realm of "Titans Twitter" is a common labeling of Levis as "Jake Locker 2.0" -- a concern that Levis has too many of the same flaws as the University of Washington QB that the Titans selected in the 2011 draft's first round.  If you ask me, an at least equally valid and equally unflattering comparison of Levis to a past Titans draft pick at QB would be to the 2006 draft's third overall pick, Vince Young ... with Hendon Hooker being the equivalent of whom I have always wished that the Titans took with that pick, Matt Leinart. 

I have always regarded -- and probably will always regard -- the selection of Vince Young to have been a lose-lose situation for the Titans and Matt Leinart.  I think that the Titans would have won more games and enjoyed more and deeper postseason runs had they chosen Leinart in the first round in 2006,

NFL teams don't care about college rivalries when drafting players. The overwhelming majority of NFL fans don't care about college rivalries when their team is drafting either. I'm an Ohio State alum and a Browns fan. I couldn't care less that the Browns have drafted Michigan players over the years.

Matt Leinhart sucked. I doubt being drafted by the Titans would have changed that.

• Like 8

BB52Big.jpg

Not sure I'd trust any QB coming out of Heupel's system, tbh. It's a gimmicky one-read system that requires running plays as fast as possible to exhaust the defense and doesn't require the QB to make NFL reads.  Not sure I can think of a single decent NFL QB he has produced.  Or one that those prolific Baylor offenses under Briles that inspired Heupel's offense produced outside of RGIII who was just a superior athlete and didn't last in the league long post- injury.  Not sure Hooker was even on anyone's draft radar after three years at VT. 

That Hooker is 25 and coming off of a major knee injury doesn't help. 

IUe6Hvh.png

On 4/26/2023 at 12:13 PM, Luigi74 said:

They want a Super Bowl and to get into the Final 4 rotation, need a dome for those. They can also use it for country music stuff and other big events.

HOW MANY FINAL FOURS DO CITIES THINK THERE ARE. Half of them will still be in Dallas or New Orleans anyway.

Absolutely ridiculous, and this is going to make other teams ask for even more.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I’m watching the draft in the background while I read some papers for work. Just have to ask. Who are these nerds that travel half way across the country to come to the 3rd day of the draft. It’s dumb it doesn’t even seem like they are announcing the picks anymore, or if they are they aren’t televising them

• Like 2

So the Eagles, who were just in the Super Bowl, have added Jalen Carter (Georgia), Nolan Smith (Georgia), Sidney Brown (not Georgia), Kelee Ringo (Georgia) and traded for D'Andre Swift (Georgia) for nothing.

Not sure there's too many SB runners-up that make out like that on draft day.

Howie's done it again - and it doesn't seem like the Hurts contract is going to impact them much at all going forward.

EDIT: word on the street is that they're in talks with AZ about Budda Baker, but AZ apparently doesn't want to be completely fleeced... yet.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

15 minutes ago, BBTV said:

So the Eagles, who were just in the Super Bowl, have added Jalen Carter (Georgia), Nolan Smith (Georgia), Sidney Brown (not Georgia), Kelee Ringo (Georgia) and traded for D'Andre Swift (Georgia) for nothing.

Howie's done it again - and it doesn't seem like the Hurts contract is going to impact them much at all going forward.

EDIT: word on the street is that they're in talks with AZ about Budda Baker, but AZ apparently doesn't want to be completely fleeced... yet.

Howie is the best GM in the league. He was able to build that Super Bowl winner in '17 then completely rebuild it into a title contender again with a brand new quarterback. Also understands that their title window is open and is doing everything possible to strengthen that team. I can't help but to be thoroughly impressed by what the Eagles are doing. 

I wish Jerry would allow Will McClay to be this aggressive.

• Like 4

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

18 minutes ago, BBTV said:

The Eagles seem to be an impressively run organization and I don't hate them for it...yet. It'll happen though!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Also understands that their title window is open and is doing everything possible to strengthen that team.

And the best thing is that he's doing nothing that impacts their future - if anything, they're set up with vets with team-friendly contracts, guys on rookie deals, and guys on "prove it" deals, so they'll never be in a situation where they're letting key guys walk or cutting them because of money.

They let Hargrave walk, but have last year's #1 ready to step in, then drafted Jalen Carter.  So they lost a guy for $80M, but then replaced him with guys making a total of less-than-half that over the next 4-5 years.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The Eagles seem to be an impressively run organization and I don't hate them for it...yet. It'll happen though!

What's really funny is that Howie was hated for a long time.  Partially because he had his own show, parially because he always felt the need to prove he was smarter than everyone else and draft complete losers instead of obvious players (Jaelen Reager over Justin Jefferson), and was demoted when Chip Kelly became the GM.  Then he came back, immediately won the SB, deal with the Carson Wentz drama and ended up making them better.  It's really unbelievable - I don't know that I've ever known a team here that I trust like I do them.  Even when they let CJGJ walk - I didn't get it, and was really concerned.  But I trust that they know something that I don't, or have a plan that simply hasn't come to fruition yet, so I ain't even mad.

EDIT: there was a tweet a few years ago where someone told him to stop being stupid and just draft Georgia and Alabama guys.  He replied "OK".

Since then, that's basically all he's drafted in the first few rounds.  Sometimes the obvious answer is the right one - just get guys from the best teams, and don't get cute with guys that have never actually played under bright lights.

5 hours ago, the admiral said:

HOW MANY FINAL FOURS DO CITIES THINK THERE ARE. Half of them will still be in Dallas or New Orleans anyway.

Especially for Super Bowls too. They’re never coming back to Detroit or Indy. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

They are loading up on the defense in case they decide to actually stop Travis Kelce from running wild whenever they meet Kansas City again.  

• LOL 1

5 hours ago, the admiral said:

Well actually, in addition to hosting a Final Four every 5 years (at max), they'll also likely get 1 (and only one) Super Bowl, and maybe a Wrestlemania out of it.

Any reasonable person would understand that $1.5B in public money is totally worth an additional (absolute max of) 6 big events over 20 years.  Numbers never lie.