2023 NFL Offseason thread

Cujo

It is becoming alarming how many good QBs are in the AFC now. If Stroud and Richardson (bit of an if for him) pan out then 10 or 11 AFC teams have their QB set. Can't remember that ever being the case before. Bryce Young might be the second best QB in the NFC NOW. 

Little scared of how good that Eagles defense is gonna be. Yikes their Dline is "Oops All Monsters!" now. 

• Like 3

PvO6ZWJ.png

I don't think you draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd round unless you're convinced he's "the guy".  There's too much pressure to validate the pick, and you can slow down your rebuild by rolling with a guy who may develop to be OK, but not a franchise QB.  I strongly feel that it's better to keep punting, even if it means years, until you find yourself in position to get a true franchise QB.  The worst thing that can happen is that your "OK" guy ends up having to be paid, or is "good enough" that you don't want to move up to get a potential franchise guy.  

3rd round and later, that's a bit different.  But 2nd-round picks are just too valuable, unless your evaluations do have him as a potential franchise guy and you feel it's everyone else that's wrong.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

51 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

With regards to Levis, the Rams at pick 36, Tennessee at 41, Washington at 47, or even Tampa Bay at 50 make some sense. He could develop a year in any of those places (maybe longer if in LA). If he slides past all of them, however, then there must be a massive red flag somewhere. Turf toe, arrogance, too much mayo in coffee, who knows.

One should not forget the "deathly fear" of milk that Levis seems to possess.

Seriously, though, as unfair and as unfortunate as it might be for Levis, the cluster of quirky behaviors and attitudes that he has been revealed to have are putting him at risk of being labeled a "crazy person" (to put it kindly) among decision makers throughout the NFL ... to the point that he might be taken with a shockingly late pick in the draft ... or even not be drafted by any NFL team at all.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Walk-Off said:

Seriously, though, as unfair and as unfortunate as it might be for Levis, the cluster of quirky behaviors and attitudes that he has been revealed to have are putting him at risk of being labeled a "crazy person" (to put it kindly) among decision makers throughout the NFL ... to the point that he might be taken with a shockingly late pick in the draft ... or even not be drafted by any NFL team at all.

Levis goes in the first ten picks of the second round.  The only situation in which a prospective major talent, much less a QB, doesn't get drafted at all is if there is some incredibly bad medical that's unknown to the public or he's facing a criminal trial that doesn't favor him being free for much longer.

...and even then, some team will make the pick.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

1 hour ago, Walk-Off said:

I absolutely hate this part of the draft drama. Draft prognosticators spend the months running up to the draft identifying a guy as a sure-thing top 10 pick, build up expectations and get the guy an invite to the draft day green room, where we all watch him — and his family — look increasingly uneasy as every team passes him by.

And now this morning, McShay is on TV explaining all of the guy's flaws that he and Kiper just glossed over when they were absolutely certain he'd be the Colts' next QB. 

• Like 5

If I was a player there's no way I'd go to the draft. Not even because I'd be worried about what happened to Levis, I'd just want to spend the draft at home and celebrate with all my friends and family. And then probably get super hammered after the cameras are off. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I bet all of the NFL GMs are trying to figure out why no one went to Will Levis' birthday party.

In this scenario, I guess that makes Nick Caserio Kevin Costner. And Will Anderson Vontae Mack.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

I absolutely hate this part of the draft drama. Draft prognosticators spend the months running up to the draft identifying a guy as a sure-thing top 10 pick, build up expectations and get the guy an invite to the draft day green room, where we all watch him — and his family — look increasingly uneasy as every team passes him by.

And now this morning, McShay is on TV explaining all of the guy's flaws that he and Kiper just glossed over when they were absolutely certain he'd be the Colts' next QB. 

Well, in McShay’s defense, his criticism of Levis has actually been fairly consistent. I watched all of the ESPN+ mock draft specials, and McShay had some pretty vocal concerns about Levis in all of them. He had Levis at pick 4 in a couple of mocks more so because he thought that’s where he would go, rather than where he should go. IIRC, he had another mock where he had Levis as low as the late teens to Tampa Bay (can’t recall if that was with thier original pick or a mock trade-up a couple of spots, though).

Kiper is the one who was singing Levis’s praises, I’d say even to an excessive extent. I remember him even saying at one point that he’d “throw all Levis’s 2022 film out” because he played hurt all year, which seems a bit irresponsible. I understand the general sentiment, but I would imagine playing ineffectively when hurt and probably aggravating his injuries to a worse extent would be a legitimate cause for concern. 

• Like 1

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I watched quite a few Kentucky games last season. Granted, I'm not an expert talent evaluator, but in the games I watched, I never saw what the draft experts see in Will Levis. He's a guy I'd take a flyer on in round three or later, but there's no way I'd use a first round pick on him.

• Like 2

BB52Big.jpg

4 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

With regards to Levis, the Rams at pick 36, Tennessee at 41, Washington at 47, or even Tampa Bay at 50 make some sense. He could develop a year in any of those places (maybe longer if in LA). If he slides past all of them, however, then there must be a massive red flag somewhere. Turf toe, arrogance, too much mayo in coffee, who knows. 

Minnesota is another team I would think could be in the QB market as an heir-apparent to Cousins, but they don’t pick again until 87. I think Levis and Hooker will be gone by then, but if by chance one of them are still there, that’d be a great place to take a shot.

Raiders might consider it, because there's no guarantee Jimmy G is going to play all 17 games and the backups are Brian "Yes he's still in the League" Hoyer and Chase Garbers.

Also, there's going to be a QB drafted later in the draft that ten years from now, we will say "wait?  He's still in the league?"  There were quite a few of those types of QBs this past season: Blaine Gabbert, Brian Hoyer, Chase Daniel, Matt Barkley, Chad Henne, Nathan Peterman, Trevor Seimian

• Like 1

It's probably less his deathly fear of milk that made teams pass on him and more that he didn't do anything at Kentucky to make you to think he could be a successful NFL quarterback except be tall, fairly mobile, and have a big arm. And if you're going to draft a guy based off physical traits alone, Anthony Richardson would the obvious choice since he has size, a big arm, is a freak athlete, and put something on tape against SEC programs, at least.

Not that I'd bet any amount of money on Richardson being successful but I think it's easier to explain away the deficiencies of a 20-year-old, first-time starter playing in a completely new system, and probably playing injured than a 22-year-old multiple year starter who transferred because he got beat out by Sean Clifford.

Also, do we really need analytics for the :censored:ing draft?  ESPN with their "according to ESPN analytics, there was a 99% chance he'd be taken by now" bull:censored:. 

I feel for the kid having to sit there through all of that but I've just never seen what anybody sees in him as a QB. 

• Like 3

IUe6Hvh.png

Last night, the Vikings drafted WR Jordan Addison who is from Frederick, MD. This was the first time in 50(!) years a player from Frederick had been drafted in the 1st Round*. The last player was RB Chuck Foreman in 1973 who was draft by… the Minnesota Vikings.

A few picks later, DT Bryan Bresee was drafted by the Saints. He graduated from Damascus High School in Montgomery County, MD. However he originally attended high school in Frederick, MD as well.

*- The next closest player from Frederick, MD was RT Rob Havenstein who was taken in the 2nd Round (57) of the 2015 NFL Draft by the Rams.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Also, there's going to be a QB drafted later in the draft that ten years from now, we will say "wait?  He's still in the league?"  There were quite a few of those types of QBs this past season: Blaine Gabbert, Brian Hoyer, Chase Daniel, Matt Barkley, Chad Henne, Nathan Peterman, Trevor Seimian

My money’s on Jake Haener

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

7 hours ago, Walk-Off said:

Nobody in the front offices avoided drafting Levis because some mush-brained chicago beat writer put out one of the stupidest tweets ever made by a "journalist"

• LOL 1

So does some team take a shot at Malik Willis as a potential starter... or is he out of the league before 2024 starts?  Can't imagine anyone picking him up to be a backup - either someone still believes in him, or he's likely done.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

16 minutes ago, BBTV said:

So does some team take a shot at Malik Willis as a potential starter... or is he out of the league before 2024 starts?  Can't imagine anyone picking him up to be a backup - either someone still believes in him, or he's likely done.

He was keeping the Titans in that game against the Chiefs last year.

At the very least, he could be a wildcat guy for a team.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags