Did your high school copy a pro or college team?

maz

Out where I live, Winlock and Naselle are probably the worst offenders on this list.

Winlock has the current Louisville Cardinals logo with a deeper red while Naselle uses a reversed Tennessee Titans logo with a 'C' in it instead of a 'T'

The only other offender for out here is Wahkiakum. They use the mule logo from Central Missouri.

Where I use to live (Iowa), the biggest offenders are Clarinda and Gildden-Ralston. Clarinda just outright uses the Arizona Cardinals' current logo and Glidden-Ralston is basically the Kansas State 'Powercat' logo.

Some other offenders include...

-Carroll, who managed to combine both the Wishbone 'C' and the Missouri logo into one

-Coon Rapids-Bayard uses a logo from North Greenville, but I believe they got the okay for that one.

-

On 2/21/2023 at 11:03 AM, LAWeaver said:

The Cambridge Bobcats use a black-and-white Ohio Bobcats logo:

1644.png

Does Cambridge still let the seniors pick the logo for each year? They rotated between the Clemson paw and this logo's predecessor when we (Claymont) were in the ECOL, in the 1990's. 

Big performances lead Cambridge past Indian Creek | News, Sports, Jobs -  The Herald Star

Cambridge beats Coshocton in home opener at McFarland Stadium

Zanesville ends 3-game slide with rout of Cambridge

Also, the team in red and gold is Indian Creek, who used to use the Seminoles spear but in that picture above used a knock off version of the Iowa State helmet logo. 

Bellaire High School still uses the spear, and Toronto (OH) uses the old Texas Rangers logo.

Bellaire too much for Red Knights | News, Sports, Jobs - The Herald Star

Garaway (OH) Pirates took the Tampa Bay Buccaneers flag and replaced the skull and bones with a G. They used to go with a script Pirates logo on the helmets before moving to these.

Worst-case scenario' for Ridgewood football as Garaway advances

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Does Cambridge still let the seniors pick the logo for each year? They rotated between the Clemson paw and this logo's predecessor when we (Claymont) were in the ECOL, in the 1990's. 

I'm not sure, honestly. I'm a Muskingum Valley League grad myself (Morgan), but Cambridge primarily plays the other nearby MVL schools such as Coshocton, Meadowbrook, or John Glenn. 

• Like 1

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

My high school team is named the Truckers. If anything, pro teams should be copying them. 🙃

Anyway, there are quite a few teams in the area that are copies of college or pro teams.  But this team is the only one I know of that does both. Eagles logo with Michigan helmets.

xKbAxyO.png

190437_1

BB52Big.jpg

On 2/9/2023 at 12:02 AM, Darth Brooks said:

My high school (well, the local school) uses clip art, as in a clip art tiger straight from the disk they handed out with the first copies of Corel draw (or was it Illustrater?)

I would love to make a custom one tiger for them.

spacer.png

That's actually taken from Tennessee State's old logo.

Logo Use

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

• maz changed the title to Did your high school copy a pro or college team?
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2023 at 10:28 AM, BBTV said:

I don't know how educators can teach kids not to steal, and to be creative, and then steal other people's work for their sports uniforms.

It's basically like "remember kids, stealing is bad, unless you don't have the budget to make it yourself".

Often it’s just not the same people making those decisions that teach kids anything outside of sports, but yeah it certainly just goes unchecked.

For the last decade+ I’ve worked with a company part time doing sports fields for schools and it’s been so interesting to see how little these schools sometimes think of branding. I’m on the presentation side so usually what the ADs and others actually see.

Often times they rarely even have the files for their logos ready and available. Have had to get good at quickly sketching over pixelization and other issues to make vectors. Which is super fun on 200x200 jpegs of a logo from 30-45 years ago. So in that instance the stealing they do actually makes my job easier since the svg files are often on wiki or I already remade a logo for another school. Obviously I don’t condone what they do, but sort of just have to roll with what they have.

But have had a few wins over the years of getting them not to put certain things actually on the fields. Or developing a new Wordmark/ font for them, so at least they aren’t stealing that too. Sending them extra concepts with that, and like school colored turf in the outside areas / track seem to get some decision makers happy enough to go another way.

But yeah you usually are just talking to the Athletic Department and the admin building (which will be more or less involved depending on the type of superintendent they have). Lots of times the logo was at some point dictated by coach of the football team or other popular sport and the rest just roll with it. Or a lot of them have like 5+ versions from various colleges/pros spread across the school athletics, with no official school one.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Over here in the Hoosier State, my high school (thankfully) didn't copy from a college/professional team, however a good amount of our rivals do.

A unique one is Logansport, whose teams are called is the Berries, however their mascot is Felix the Cat - and it is considered to be the oldest mascot in Indiana, dating back to 1926:

spacer.png

rAUPGPZ.png

• 2 weeks later...

Oh 100%. We were the "Golden Raiders", but our logo was just the Minnesota Vikings with royal blue instead of purple. Which was pretty ironic, considering we're right in the heart of Packers country (e.g. people would literally wear Packers jerseys to church so they could dip out early and drive straight to Lambeau to tailgait).

S**t is different here

20181010220014_192_mascot1280Near.png

• LOL 1

• 2 weeks later...

Minneota is a town in Minneota. Their school teams are named the Minneota Vikings. They're blue and yellow.

Minneota%20M.jpg

Points for an original logo. But Minneota Vikings and Minnesota Vikings are about as close as you're going to get without directly copying the name.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/8/2023 at 10:26 PM, maz said:

High schools across America regularly recolor logos, and sometimes uniforms, of NFL and NCAA teams and use them as their own - or they just straight-up copy them. Did your school do this? If so, who'd they... borrow... Their look from?

I'll start. My high school's team: The Penn Hills Indians. Starting sometime in the 80's or 90's, they began wearing replicas of the Florida State Seminoles' helmets:

penn_hills_2016_flip.png?v=1

They did this all the way up until a few years ago, when they started wearing a red version with what I think is an original spear design:

penn_hills_2017_flip.png?v=1

Also, when we had an ice hockey team, they just took the Blackhawks logo and stuck it on a Flames jersey. Which is partially why I just wore a Chicago Blackhawks shirt I had to football games (where I saw Aaron Donald play before any of you did 😆).

(Also, for any of my fellow born-and-raised Pennsylvanians, I found this site which has a surprisingly comprehensive history of PA high school football helmets)

Sport takes a lot of time. To save time and have more opportunities for development, I use services to get help with my studies. For example, My Super Geek is one of the best services where professionals can help you with your assignments. 

It's interesting how high schools often draw inspiration from NFL and NCAA teams for their logos and uniforms. My high school, the Springfield Tigers, also had its share of "borrowed" designs. Our football team's logo was unmistakably inspired by the Clemson Tigers. We had the same fierce-looking tiger paw on our helmets, and even our orange and black color scheme resembled Clemson's. In basketball, our uniforms bore a striking resemblance to those of the Oklahoma State Cowboys, with the same bold orange and black stripes. It seems like these collegiate teams inspire a lot of high schools across the country, and while it's not entirely original, it does create a sense of connection with the broader world of sports.