2023 MLB Season Thread

Gary

Do umpires now have the ability to issue fines to players right on the field?

Bases loaded, two outs, full count.  Twins pitcher throws a pitch 6" inside, which should have forced home a run (and brought Bryce Harper to the plate with bases loaded), but the umpire calls the batter out.  Batter is understandably frustrated, and the umpire made some gesture, and the announcer said that Alec Bohm has just been fined (he was later ejected).  I didn't know this was a thing (unless the announcer was wrong.)

Also, crossing threads, back to sports betting - you have complete crap like this umpire ruining games, and if you had bet on it, you just got hosed.  At some point, some of these calls are so bad that you have to question if the umpires (or referees in general) are on the take.  These types of game-changing botches have big impact, not just on the current game, but now different pitchers are in the game, which could impact future games.

EDIT: they just confirmed that they can fine players right there.  Since when?

EDIT2: I don't think I've heard a louder "Ump Sucks" than right now - at least not one that was actually audible on the TV broadcast.

Edit3: he did it again! It’s so bad. Bring on the robots. At this point it’s not incompetence, it’s vengeful.  How are umpires never held accountable? It’s not as bad as Angel Hernandez or Buckner, but still awful (and at least today, one sided as opposed to terrible both ways like usual).  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Just now, Sec19Row53 said:

Isn't an ejection an automatic fine? Could that be what they mean?

no, he was fined well before the ejection.  They showed a replay and said “right there is where he was fined….  … and now comes the ejection”

This guy is complete trash. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

no, he was fined well before the ejection.  They showed a replay and said “right there is where he was fined….  … and now comes the ejection”

That statement isn't supported by the rulebook.  The announcer was wrong.

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

No. Umpires have no authority to issue fines. Only the commissioners office can issue fines in regards to player behavior (In the instance of ejections. Teams can fine players for reasons as well). The announcers were probably just using conjecture. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

That statement isn't supported by the rulebook.  The announcer was wrong.

45 minutes ago, McCall said:

No. Umpires have no authority to issue fines. Only the commissioners office can issue fines in regards to player behavior (In the instance of ejections. Teams can fine players for reasons as well). The announcers were probably just using conjecture. 

EDIT:

Here's the story.  When the player spiked his bat, the umpire made a motion indicating "equipment violation", which is the fine part of it.  So he did essentially issue a fine on the spot (since there's a fine associated with equip violation).  

The umpires should be fined and ejected.  I'm really tired of this, on either side of the coin.  Refereeing should be according to the rulebook, not according to their whims.

EDIT2: he was another minor league ump that was filling in, like the ass-clown that had three calls overturned in a single game last week.

Just something I happened to roll across earlier:

REPORT: Milwaukee Brewers Could Start Looking at Relocation Options This Fall

• Sad 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

32 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Just something I happened to roll across earlier:

REPORT: Milwaukee Brewers Could Start Looking at Relocation Options This Fall

Yeah - that's been reported on earlier and has little to no traction here. They COULD start looking, because contractually they have that ability.

It's where I sit.

2 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

I do not think Brewers will go anywhere. MLB does not want headache of yet another tean trying to relocate after the multi decade A's and Rays sagas

The headache wasn't the actual relocation part.  The headache was with the teams trying to get new stadiums in their home markets despite decrepit infrastructure and lengthy leases.  If the A's and Rays were allowed to explore relocation years ago we wouldn't be in this situation either by the teams already being in new markets or the home markets acting due to relocation threats that actually had urgency to them.

VmWIn6B.png

4 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Man, it feels good to be an Orioles fan. Even if they dish out mild heart attacks every game between the innings 7-9.

As my wife puts it, it's like being a Ravens fan except you go through it 6-7 times a week instead of 1.

. . , and I'm not sure I agree with your use of the word "mild". 😛

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 8/15/2023 at 9:58 AM, TrueYankee26 said:

I do not think Brewers will go anywhere. MLB does not want headache of yet another tean trying to relocate after the multi decade A's and Rays sagas

Also, I doubt Bud Selig would be happy that his successor would allow relocation of the Brewers to happen.

LOL.  Lorenzen's bid for a second no-hitter is ended in the 1st inning when Turner fields a routine ground ball and throws an errant ball to 1st base... and it's ruled a hit.  I think I posted before about how out of wack the scorekeeping has been this year, likely in a bid to artificially increase offensive stats, but it's downright beyond silly at this point.  It's nearly impossible to actually commit an error.

EDIT: fortunately they got a legit hit the next inning, but this pro-hitter scoring is out of control.