2023 MLB Season Thread

Gary

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

Great that the umpires have decided to be centerpieces again. Every one of these pieces of feces has been awful behind the plate. Killing rallies on both sides and keeping batters guessing at what a strike really is. 

fire these guys and give me a cylon. Maybe break a kneecap or two before firing them. 

I’ve legitimately not seen worse plate umpiring in the playoffs. 

Turned out the plate umpiring didn't matter on this night.

32 minutes ago, Unocal said:

Turned out the plate umpiring didn't matter on this night.

Sure it did.  Maybe the outcome would have been the same, but it always matters.  Calling a guy out on a 3-2 pitch that was clearly a ball changes innings.  Calling a strike on a clear ball on a 3-1, 2-1, or any count changes the complete approach of the at bat and puts doubt in players' minds as to whether they need to swing at pitches they know are awful.

Let's stop defending these breathing cinder blocks.  It's one thing for a SS to make a physical error and boot a ball - it's another thing for an umpire to make a non-physical error and botch his job.

I don't even care about the on-screen boxes.  I know that they're not accurate for various reasons, and that each network has their own version so a strike on one may look like a ball on the other.  But I know what my eyes see - and they see that home-plate umpires are basically trash.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Imagine an umpires union strike and how little public support they would have, even from the most pro-union people.

I'm pro union, but that one needs to be busted up.  Too many protections for people who are lousy at their jobs, too many rules barring replays because of their sensitivities, and too many "power trips".  

The reality is it's probably only 5-10 that are downright awful, but it reflects poorly on all of them.  This NLCS has been among the worst playoff series' I can recall seeing.  I've been so afraid that players would be ejected or suspended for wanting to choke all of the home plate umps.  ALL of them - there hasn't been a single good one in this whole series.  How is that even possible?  At least Cb Buckner isn't one of them.  I'd advocate a player fully assaulting him.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 10/21/2023 at 1:36 PM, JerseyJimmy said:

I'm rooting for the Phillies because I hate the sun belt with the undying fury of a thousand suns. simple as.

I was gonna ask where this came from...

20 hours ago, JerseyJimmy said:

...no? where the hell did you get that idea? I was born on Long Island and my family moved to South Carolina when I was thirteen.

anyway, Phillies won.

...And that probably answered it. Not the best idea to broadstroke entire regions based off a marginalized segment of it.

11 hours ago, McCall said:

They'd even get that strike call wrong.

Is that PotD belt still hanging around here somewhere? If it is, somebody give it to this guy. 👆🏾*

Spoiler

*I ain't a mod; therefore I am not authorized to bestow belts...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

14 minutes ago, tBBP said:

I was gonna ask where this came from...

...And that probably answered it. Not the best idea to broadstroke entire regions based off a marginalized segment of it.

Is that PotD belt still hanging around here somewhere? If it is, somebody give it to this guy. 👆🏾*

Hide contents

*I ain't a mod; therefore I am not authorized to bestow belts...

For non-mod use:

OBnTBzK.png

• Love 1

6uXNWAo.png

12 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Imagine an umpires union strike and how little public support they would have, even from the most pro-union people.

They're every negative stereotype of a union made incarnate: Fat, lazy, tend to screw up jobs and would rather protect bad apples so long as they pay their dues than make sure that they do their job properly. So of course everyone would tell them to go fornicate themselves if they went on strike again. Would just accelerate the transition to robo-umps. I, for one, would welcome our cybernetic scab overlords because umpires aren't the only profession that covers for incompetents and those who would abuse power for petty reasons. 

Edited by Red Comet
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, McCall said:
15 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

They'd even get that strike call wrong.

nYDhWob.png

The Majestic XII have spoken.

• Applause 1
  • Sad 1

BB52Big.jpg