2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed with the Bruins here considering they're usually very good at updating their look in subtle ways without typically losing the plot. They were due for a refresh and the new spoked B was a perfect fit into that legacy, but the jerseys let it down. I guess the sheer number of fauxback mashups in recent NHL history made it tough to dip into that well again for the centennial season, even though it would make a lot of sense. The total drain of their normal yellow is a headscratching whiff.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Some awful placement of the captains patches on the Ducks jerseys now that there's an ad & anniversary patch.

spacer.png

They really should've just swapped out one of the shoulder patches for the anniversary logo.

Least we know how screwed up it is.

On 9/18/2023 at 12:11 AM, ruttep said:

5: The game that they should have clinched last year's series

3: The number of consecutive losses they had to close out that series

But in all seriousness -- the six combined gold stripes on the two sleeves represent the team's six Stanley Cups.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2023 at 6:07 PM, Kevin W. said:

Yep. In a vacuum that logo is horrible, but when you remember the spoked B is just their 25th anniversary logo I think it's a great call back. 

On 9/17/2023 at 5:03 PM, jdavidev said:

As a Bruins fan, I definitely agree with you. These are awful. White numbers?? Black socks?? I was expecting a jersey from three different eras, Orr, Bourque and Bergeron (all the old timey classic ones have been mined for Winter Classics already). Home - Bourque, Road - Orr, and Third - Bergeron. That would tie up the history together.

White numbers??/// WTF? 

White numbers are a head scratcher. The Bruins have used white numbers on their primary black jersey for a total of 9 years out of 99. Makes no sense to use them here, especially if you're getting fancy with shimmery gold everywhere else. The black socks come as no surprise, Jacobs loves the claim that the Bruins are the first professional team to use black as a primary color, even though I'm not buying that whatsoever.

44 minutes ago, AndrewG70 said:

But in all seriousness -- the six combined gold stripes on the two sleeves represent the team's six Stanley Cups.

If that's true, and it probably is - it's a tremendous stretch.  There are 9 stripes per sleeve, and I can guarantee the casual fan isn't going to put together that there's 6 gold ones to signify 6 Stanley Cups. Hell, even I wasn't reading it like that. 

On 9/17/2023 at 2:15 PM, the admiral said:

Ice looks good, but I can't get over what a downgrade it was to go from yellow seats to black seats. It really gets in the way of being the spiritual continuation of the Boston Garden that the naming rights and being next door to the old one would suggest.

Going from yellow to black was a great way to remove any and all character from an already characterless building. 

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">New season, new center ice! Hey <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SharksFam?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#SharksFam</a> who is ready to drop the puck? <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SJSharks?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#SJSharks</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TealTogether?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#TealTogether</a> <a href="https://t.co/ZNkw0ZTAGP">pic.twitter.com/ZNkw0ZTAGP</a></p>&mdash; TEAL TOWN USA - A San Jose Sharks Podcast (@TEALTOWNUSA) <a href="https://twitter.com/TEALTOWNUSA/status/1704179161210966455?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 19, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

edit: I have never gotten anything to embed once here but here are the images of the sharks' new center ice design complete with new redline

spacer.png

spacer.png

F6Z16aAaUAAjHWX?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 13
  • Love 9
  • Applause 1

4 hours ago, spudrik79 said:

The #NHLJets will have a special jersey unveiled on Saturday at Fan Fest. 11:45 a.m. at the IcePlex. Curious to see if this has something to do with the RCAF's centennial in 2024, given their current jerseys are designed after the RCAF roundel.

8 hours ago, speedy said:

The black socks come as no surprise, Jacobs loves the claim that the Bruins are the first professional team to use black as a primary color, even though I'm not buying that whatsoever.

Chicago was wearing black jerseys in 1928.  Boston didn't have a black jersey until 1948. 

• Like 4

On 9/18/2023 at 2:47 PM, spartacat_12 said:

Some awful placement of the captains patches on the Ducks jerseys now that there's an ad & anniversary patch.

spacer.png

They really should've just swapped out one of the shoulder patches for the anniversary logo.

It's so awful that the entire left side is preserved for the advertisers ad. And everything else is thrown on whatever space remains on the right side. Because non-hockey related corporations are more important than what a team accomplishes throughout the course of decades.

Imagine how horrible it would have been for the Canadiens, had they celebrated their centennial anniversary this year, by slapping their 100th anniversary patch next to the Captain's C, so that the RBC patch could have all the visibility it needs. Like selling out the Montreal Forum for 70 years doesn't mean anything.

I'm glad ads were not introduced in 2009.

• Like 2
  • Hate 1

13 hours ago, Echo said:

Chicago was wearing black jerseys in 1928.  Boston didn't have a black jersey until 1948. 

And Chicago was using black since their inception 2 years prior, so not sure where Jeremy Jacobs gets off, but he's always been a clown.

• Like 1

All the Bruins need to do is put the new logos on the regular jerseys, gold socks with b/w/b stripe for the home, and maybe update the road to have gold yoke and keep the striping the same from the home. Basically the 70s look but with the updated template. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Applause 2

On 9/19/2023 at 12:53 PM, speedy said:

Going from yellow to black was a great way to remove any and all character from an already characterless building. 

Have to wonder if it got changed partly because it doesn't match the Celtics' color scheme at all

13 hours ago, mattwillcox said:

Some interesting stuff from the Sabres. Anyone with access to the logo slicks know if this wordmark is official, or just for social use?

spacer.png

I believe it's just social use, but it's been used pretty regularly during the past couple of seasons. In fact I'm almost positive it was designed by our very own @MrWonka

And to follow up on your question it is not on any logo slicks that I can find

• Like 1
  • Love 1