2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

I actually like it a lot, except for one big thing - it's a freaking V. 

In hockey, a big V = Vancouver.  

I know that they're the "Vegas" Golden Knights and not "Las Vegas", but the V shouldn't ever appear by itself.  It's a shame, because for a fauxback, I think it does the job really well, and I like the style of the V.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, RyanMcD29 said:

Love how Seattle's came out. Vegas is all going to depend on the breezers, gloves, and socks. If they go all white it's going to look bad, but if they have grey or gold in there they can make a good look out of it

Grey breezers, grey helmet, calling it now. And it's gonna somehow be more forgettable than last year's Penguins WC jersey.

12 hours ago, BBTV said:

I actually like it a lot, except for one big thing - it's a freaking V. 

In hockey, a big V = Vancouver.  

I know that they're the "Vegas" Golden Knights and not "Las Vegas", but the V shouldn't ever appear by itself.  It's a shame, because for a fauxback, I think it does the job really well, and I like the style of the V.

This is a joke right?

Their normal logo is a V….  and not sure how a C for the Canucks means they own a giant V… lol

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, ruttep said:

Think he's referring to this

spacer.png

That's hardly a logo, though, that's a jersey design; the logo for those jerseys was the Flying Skate on the arms, not the V on the chest like the Vegas jersey.

Letters being used on the front of jerseys was extremely common in the PCHA and hockey in general in that era, as was single-color striping, so I'd imagine Vegas designed their jersey to align with that style, color scheme and all, since Seattle was already headed in that direction. Like, it's not that far removed from, say, this Rosebuds jersey;

spacer.png

7 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

That's hardly a logo, though, that's a jersey design; the logo for those jerseys was the Flying Skate on the arms, not the V on the chest like the Vegas jersey.

Letters being used on the front of jerseys was extremely common in the PCHA, so I'd imagine Vegas designed their jersey to align with that style, color scheme and all, since Seattle was already headed in that direction.

Yeah I know what you're saying, I'm just providing context for what @BBTV meant when he said a big V meant Vancouver. I don't think anyone would confuse this for a Canucks jersey.

• Like 3

The Kraken look ok but it’s a little frustrating because:

1. I don’t think the dude who owns the metropolitans identity is purposely squatting on it for some insane price. He has mentioned that he wants to sell it back to the Kraken. I don’t know if he’s lying or the Kraken are being cheap.

2. The Kraken sweater would look much better without white stripes and just using shades of blue. I think the white stripe was chosen because of the Metros having them.

3. I just want my light blue anchor logo third!!!!

• Love 1

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

32 minutes ago, TenaciousG said:

3. I just want my light blue anchor logo third!!!!

I am wondering though, is there enough contrast between the seafoam color and white for it to be worn against regular road jerseys, or is every matchup featuring that color going to be color vs color? The RR last year worked as a dark jersey because of the abundance of navy striping.

1 hour ago, ruttep said:

Yeah I know what you're saying, I'm just providing context for what @BBTV meant when he said a big V meant Vancouver. I don't think anyone would confuse this for a Canucks jersey.

Correct.  Nobody is going to confuse the two, I just feel that Vancouver owns the Big V look.

In addition to the Flying V that you posted, there's this:

daniel-sedin.jpg

It doesn't mean that nobody else can use a V, it's just that when I see it, I my initial split-second thought is that it's some kind of Vancouver sweater.  

As for Vegas' normal logo being a V, it's not a big-stand-alone V.  It's a V in a helmet in a shield.  The V is hardly the main element.

• Meh 1
  • Eyeroll 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 11/18/2023 at 11:31 AM, AFirestormToPurify said:

I don't think away jerseys are boring. A lot of teams look better in white imo

The fact is; teams that wear dark buckets with white jerseys are minor league teams, often the smaller markets with cheap owners. It's not a good look. It cheapens the whole look and makes the uniform look top heavy

Color vs color, whiteout (including the pants), gray based jerseys, hollow numbers, those things might be alright for other sports for many reasons (tradition, pace of play, color of playing surface) but not hockey. There's nothing wrong with tradition

This is exactly my feelings on the dark buckets with the white jerseys. It just feels very minor league. I was watching the Leafs the other day and I just couldn't get beyond it no matter how hard I tried. Might take some time, but it just makes them look a bit 'lower-league' and less professional. 

• Like 4

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

I remember in the IHL's last couple years, when the Milwaukee Admirals switched to the wave jerseys, they wore navy helmets with both the red and white jerseys.  No idea why they went without white helmets considering the skating admiral set they replaced used them, but I quite liked the look.  IIRC they tried to keep it going after the IHL folded, but the AHL made them get white helmets.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

2 hours ago, Discrim said:

I remember in the IHL's last couple years, when the Milwaukee Admirals switched to the wave jerseys, they wore navy helmets with both the red and white jerseys.  No idea why they went without white helmets considering the skating admiral set they replaced used them, but I quite liked the look.  IIRC they tried to keep it going after the IHL folded, but the AHL made them get white helmets.

It really wasn't all that uncommon in the IHL overall to have dark helmets paired with white jerseys;

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

I bet a lot of you will just absolutely love what the Moose Jaw Warriors do for their helmets.

PSWjrUv.png

This is somehow even more gimmicky than the Carolina Hurricanes. But if a junior team wants to do that, go for it. Will be very displeased if someone in the NHL does this, though.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Letters being used on the front of jerseys was extremely common in the PCHA and hockey in general in that era, as was single-color striping, so I'd imagine Vegas designed their jersey to align with that style, color scheme and all, since Seattle was already headed in that direction. Like, it's not that far removed from, say, this Rosebuds jersey;

spacer.png

Someone really likes  italicizing words,

• LOL 2