2023 - 2024 NBA changes

DJT

4 minutes ago, iamdaviinci said:

Fair enough!

Now I'm curious -- do you feel the same when we apply the same ideas to the Association Edition?

I often struggle to "balance" Association and Icon Edition design concepts when they aren't clear reciprocals of one another. Examining each Option 2 (orange ball), the purple Icon feels unbalanced to me due to the white wordmark being offset against the white numbering....but the white Association feels unbalanced to me due to the white wordmark being offset in isolation as the lone focal point of the composition.

Curious to see some takes on this, but fully expecting to realize my design-fueled OCD is even more extreme than I imagined 😄

spacer.png

I was actually thinking more about the "SUNS" and what other color it could be on the "home" jersey.

3 hours ago, eRay said:

Am I the only one who thinks #3 looks the best? 

No you're not, because I think so, too. The image below only further confirms such. 

56 minutes ago, iamdaviinci said:

spacer.png

• Like 7

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1 hour ago, iamdaviinci said:

Fair enough!

Now I'm curious -- do you feel the same when we apply the same ideas to the Association Edition?

spacer.png

The idea of the white ball balancing out the wordmark applies to the white jersey even more. But, since the design is being considered for the Suns, I’d say you go with the orange ball despite of it being at a small disadvantage between the two options, which is a rather meaningless difference in this case anyway. Having the color be consistent to the brand is of bigger priority.

What comes to the options #3, I find them too right side heavy with the graphics, so they don’t really work.

2 hours ago, truepg said:

The idea of the white ball balancing out the wordmark applies to the white jersey even more. But, since the design is being considered for the Suns, I’d say you go with the orange ball despite of it being at a small disadvantage between the two options, which is a rather meaningless difference in this case anyway. Having the color be consistent to the brand is of bigger priority.

What comes to the options #3, I find them too right side heavy with the graphics, so they don’t really work.

I'd say the opposite. It washes everything out far more than it even does on the purple jersey. The white set only further confirms the theory that the orange ball of 2 or 3 is the way to go. I can go with either one, honestly. Just as long as the ball is orange.

spacer.png

• Like 2

23 hours ago, BBTV said:

But basketballs are orange, the sun appears orange, and their secondary team color (which appears in their logo and uniform) is orange.  I'd say this is a case where it should be literal.

Also, ask a small child to draw the sun. It will be either yellow, orange, or, if they have the 64-crayon box, yellow-orange.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Looking at it this way, I'd actually go with #3 as well. The angled number didn't translate the same way in the picture with the purple jersey the way it does on the white jersey. Definitely would go with #3 for both seeing it in that context.

• Like 3

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

7 hours ago, McCall said:

2. The white ball, although it balances the white across the chest, seems too out of place just in general that it takes away from the overall composition. In this scenario, composition>color balance.

spacer.png

My brain tells me both a basketball and the sun are orange which is why their choice of white is an abomination. Just another case of designer overthink for no reason other than contradiction.

5 hours ago, the admiral said:

Also, ask a small child to draw the sun. It will be either yellow, orange, or, if they have the 64-crayon box, yellow-orange.

Tangentially related, I remember test takers of a standardized test years ago had to throw out a question about the color of bananas (not sure if from the practice test or the final test itself) because it wrongly punished test takers who came from different cultures or countries where green bananas were the only ripe bananas they've ever known.

1 hour ago, jmatt116 said:

I know what color the sun is lol. The suns in all their logo history have used a sunburst logo as orange - 9 times. white - 0 times

It's a stretch on my part, but in one anniversary logo it could be argued that it was a purple sun with white shadows and on some of their 2nd/3rd/partial logos it could be interpreted as having a black sun.  But gold is close to yellow and still isn't white but it isn't orange, either.

The Suns jersey needing to have an orange ball is stupid when the rays surrounding the ball are purple, so everyone complaining that the jersey doesn't look like the logo but making the ball orange doesn't even help this criticism. 

807_phoenix-suns-wordmark-1993.gif

Who said the jersey had to look exactly like the logo anyways? Is that an unwritten rule or something? I like the new spin on the old idea, that was the whole point of the uniform.

• Huh? 1
  • Facepalm 1

bSLCtu2.png

The rays surrounding the ball aren't purple. 

When your freaking colors are the same color as the object you're portraying, then it should be that color.  They went out of their way to make it different.  Had their colors been green and blue, and there's a white ball, then that's not really a big deal.  That's more analogous to the "eagles aren't green" comparison.  

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I know someone else mentioned it before, but the white sun is particularly jarring because the full-color logo is on the waistband. I think the orange ball/yellow sunburst would look great on both jerseys.

spacer.png

semi related: apparently the suns’ primary logo is still black from like 3? uniforms ago. Do they ever use it? Why not update it to purple?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sayahh said:

I was actually thinking more about the "SUNS" and what other color it could be on the "home" jersey.

My theory is that this mess at least partially stems from there being no other possible option for this. If you insist on putting a wordmark over a purple background with orange/yellow sunrays, it must be white....to appropriately balance that part of the composition, the ball must be white....to preserve balance throughout the uniform as a whole (including asymmetrical shorts), the front number must be centered....to establish continuity across Association and Icon Editions, these ideas must be applied to white and purple bases. I don't particularly like the end result, but I can at least follow that design logic.

15 hours ago, truepg said:

I'm on board with that. As this discussion has progressed, I've realized more and more that brand continuity and fundamental design just aren't compatible within this uniform set. I think both of those things are essential to any good uniform set, but here each moving piece creates a domino effect that inevitably compromises one or the other.

55 minutes ago, BBTV said:

The rays surrounding the ball aren't purple. 

When your freaking colors are the same color as the object you're portraying, then it should be that color.  They went out of their way to make it different.  Had their colors been green and blue, and there's a white ball, then that's not really a big deal.  That's more analogous to the "eagles aren't green" comparison.  

The ray spikes surrounding the ball are indeed purple (with an orange outline), but that doesn't stop from nor create any visual mismatch for the ball to be orange consistently with their brand. Especially, as said before:

1) Orange is the team and logo color

2) Sun has been portrayed orange in their identity and is literally associated with that color in general

3) Basketball, which the streaking object literally is, is orange.

I really can't believe it is being seriously discussed here what color the sun actually is in reality...

39 minutes ago, iamdaviinci said:

My theory is that this mess at least partially stems from there being no other possible option for this. If you insist on putting a wordmark over a purple background with orange/yellow sunrays, it must be white....to appropriately balance that part of the composition, the ball must be white....to preserve balance throughout the uniform as a whole (including asymmetrical shorts), the front number must be centered....to establish continuity across Association and Icon Editions, these ideas must be applied to white and purple bases. I don't particularly like the end result, but I can at least follow that design logic.

I'm on board with that. As this discussion has progressed, I've realized more and more that brand continuity and fundamental design just aren't compatible within this uniform set. I think both of those things are essential to any good uniform set, but here each moving piece creates a domino effect that inevitably compromises one or the other.

I see and completely agree with that thought process that you displayed regarding the logic of the elements of the uniform. Only that the bottom-line of my point was, that any possible downside with using an orange ball in this design was so meaningless, that it is barely a decision you make in favor of a more suitable solution when designing for a specific case with certain context in mind, and scrap the other less suitable options in the process, even if some happen to be objectively somewhat better in a vacuum.

Edited by truepg

38 minutes ago, truepg said:

3) Basketball, which the streaking object literally is, is orange.

This point is even more confounding. The design element that's the point of contention is the basketball more than the sun. And unless the Suns are now playing in the ABA, the color of it shouldn't be in question.