2023 - 2024 NBA changes

DJT

This won’t come as a surprise, but the Blazers will be one of the teams getting a black city uniform again this year. I’m optimistic on the design based on what I’ve been told, but I do find it ridiculous that this’ll be the 5th time in 7 years that the Blazers will have a black/dark gray city uniform.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

3 hours ago, bushy said:

Wish the NBA & Nike would just do away with city jerseys at this point. They’re so ugly. 

If they’re gonna do City editions make them like the MLB ones where the uniform stays for 3-4 years. With how much the jerseys have had a lot of lackluster (and some great designs) in such a short time, I think giving them some longevity would do wonders.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, WBeltz said:

If they’re gonna do City editions make them like the MLB ones where the uniform stays for 3-4 years. With how much the jerseys have had a lot of lackluster (and some great designs) in such a short time, I think giving them some longevity would do wonders.

Fully agree. There have been plenty of bad ones and plenty of great ones, but almost all of them are here and gone forever within an 8 month span. I really love the lore building around certain uniforms, so seeing the special ones every so often for 3-4 years would build so much more of a relationship with them. I would think Nike would value fans connecting with their product more. 

• Like 1

BannerLogos.jpg

SF4.gif

2 hours ago, fortunat1 said:

Looks like Memphis' city jersey leaked at some point yesterday.  (Media day shoot + mock up)

D8kRsaG.jpg

RDoqKRY.jpg

I absolutely LOVED the last City Edition. This one here...if this ain't the definition of laziness...mailed-in, phoned-in, whichever one you wanna roll with—pick one, it'll be right. 

This, again, is the kind of stuff that happens when you box yourself into churning out new stuff every...single...year. You can tell when the creative well is starting to run dry and this.... this right here...

... That said, their last three City editions have had some combination of black and Vegas gold on them, so maybe I can still hold out hope for a rebr—you know what, I won't go there right now.  😁

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I think there is a simple way to solve this City edition issue without getting rid of them:

-Prioritize the City/Community aspect of the idea. Draw more creative ideas from local culture/monuments/events/artists/etc. Soccer teams are able to do this and release (for the most part) very unique looks each year that don't often get old quickly. The same can be done here.

-Require City uniforms to be worn for a minimum of 3 years. They've done it with a couple of popular looks, but this could help prevent the brain drain that happens when the assignment is to just put together something for fans to get for the holidays or for collectors to spend their money on. Build the rapport and legacy that these uniforms deserve, as there are some that are deserving of the all-time classic spot (Utah arches, Miami vice, Denver skylines, etc.). The NBA prides itself more than ever on its influence on fashion/streetwear, this would only get stronger by giving uniforms the needed time for them to settle into the pop culture world and become iconic.

Long story short, don't scrap every uniform after a year, and require teams and Nike to try to tell more meaningful stories in their uniforms and encourage locally-minded creativity as the edition name suggests. DON'T make this about trying to force more money out of the fans by releasing half-cooked, low effort looks each year. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

8 hours ago, Conrad. said:

Not for long 😉

I was pretty confident that you respond me like that. So now every team had at least one black uniform in their history. Hooray! I guess...

6 hours ago, WBeltz said:

If they’re gonna do City editions make them like the MLB ones where the uniform stays for 3-4 years.

Was thinking about same, that one edition of City should exist for at least two season, but on the other hand it's hard to say you don't get that thrill every year when leaks came up.

5 hours ago, fortunat1 said:

Looks like Memphis' city jersey leaked at some point yesterday.  (Media day shoot + mock up)

D8kRsaG.jpg

This is some kind of feather on shorts or this is a shadow? Numbers font looks to be same as in 17/18 City, so I wonder if it has similar inspiration.

By the way, this is Nike's penultimate season as a NBA supplier, right? I don't remember seeing any info about extending.

4r2eer.png

1 hour ago, pepis21 said:

Was thinking about same, that one edition of City should exist for at least two season, but on the other hand it's hard to say you don't get that thrill every year when leaks came up.

To me, the very fact that the City unis change each year (or any specific short cycle of years) makes them irrelevant and disposable and lack any thrill in anticipation. They are just an afterthought for me on these boards.

---

What comes to the large amount of black jerseys around the league in general – well, it had been steadily and firmly moving in that direction over all these past years, so it's strange to see that kind of reaction now. At this point it just is what it is.