You Saw What Where??

I've thought about starting this thread a few times. It's a chance to share where you ran into a sports logo some place that made you say WTF, or even a lesser reaction.

Yesterday at Lowe's in Hendersonville NC, a car was pulling in with an Expos license plate on the front of it.

• Like 2

It's where I sit.

I may have posted this before, but in Monteverde Costa Rica, I saw a guy wearing what looked like a really cool burgundy Phillies cap that I hadn't seen before.  It had the 50s-style P in a diamond shape (I'm assuming it was a Phillies cap, but it didn't have any other identifying marks on it.)  I liked it, and would probably purchase it if I ever saw it.  I asked him where he got it and he replied (he was Dutch) that his name was Peter, he saw it in some store and thought "hey... P for Peter - cool!" and that was that.

EDIT:  

I guess this sorta counts too.  I have a Yomiuri (Tokyo) Giants cap from a game I went to back in '16.  It's a little beaten up now, so it's been demoted to gym-hat status.  One day, another guy in my gym walks in with a Yomiuri Giants cap, so now there's two regulars with the same NPB cap.  Then some new guy comes in wearing a Tokyo Giants shirt.  WTF - three guys repping the Yomiuri Giants in a tiny-ass gym in South Philly?  The odds of that have to be microscopic.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

David Letterman used to wear various sports gear when filming remote pieces for Late Night in the 1980s.  For example, he'd wear a Cardinals cap or a Detroit Tigers cap.  Once he did a filmed piece while wearing a Houston Gamblers jersey.

Of course, the act of sporting of a USFL jersey didn't prevent Dave from mocking the USFL.  After the initial championship game in 1983, he mentioned in his monologue that the Michigan Panthers had won the title.  He than added, entirely sarcastically, "I've been a Panthers fan since I was this high."  The funny thing is that Dave was 36 when he said that; and now there are people in their 50s who say that very thing unironically.

In 1983, Dave also did a funny set piece on the stage, called "The USFL Hall of Fame".  I can remember two gags.  First was an exhibit of the complete set of USFL trading cards; the set consisted of two cards: Herschel Walker and checklist.  And the checklist listed two items: Herschel Walker and checklist.  Right next to that exhibit was one showing the only retired USFL jersey: a shirt that had clearly been mis-numbered with "5 backwards-3".  Cracks me the f up.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

One time I was walking through a supermarket car park and happened to spot a Ducks 20th Anniversary sticker in someone's window. It's rare that I run into a fellow fan on this side of the pond, much less walk past their car.

Of course I've also seen countless people wearing a Yankees cap or some other apparel with that NY mark, a good majority of them probably not knowing or caring that they're an actual baseball team.

• Like 1

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

11 minutes ago, wildwing64 said:

Of course I've also seen countless people wearing a Yankees cap or some other apparel with that NY mark, a good majority of them probably not knowing or caring that they're an actual baseball team.

Bouncing off of that, the thrifting subculture here has expanded in recent years, and a result of that is seeing many people my age wearing NASCAR merchandise with probably zero knowledge of the sport.

I'm glad that at least the sport is getting noticed by people my age, however most times I want to be a natural heel and go up to them and quiz them on NASCAR trivia. It more like a "fashion trend" these days.

The good news is that I have gotten my fair share of vintage NASCAR merch...

rAUPGPZ.png

I’m fairly certain Adam Sandler has an ongoing theme in his movies where he regularly wears at least one college sports related t-shirt. Hell, in Grown-Ups alone he wore 7 shirts belonging to major New England Universities. In the water park scene he even wears a Hartford Whalers shirt

spacer.png
spacer.png

In Big Daddy, he wears a few iterations of Syracuse shirts-

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I was in Groningen, a city in the the northern part of the Netherlands, for their King's Day celebration on April 27th. At the festival, I saw a girl wearing a green Packers Eddie Lacy jersey and another was wearing a 90s Auburn Tigers jacket. Neither of them knew they were American sports teams lol. I'm wondering how that apparel ended all the way up there.

• Like 3

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

4 hours ago, Michael Bolton said:

Saw a dude with a Winnipeg Jets front license plate on his truck (the current logo), in a small town near Daytona Beach, FL a while back.

That's honestly not too surprising considering all the Canadian snowbirds that go down to Florida. Maybe fewer Manitobans, but I'd see plenty of Ontario and Quebec plates in my drives to and from Florida during college. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Not for nothing, but after three years of living up here it still astounds me how often I see actual people sporting actual Jacksonville Jaguars apparel way up here in South Dakota...

(Tangentially related is the fact that somehow the Skyforce has remained and still is the G-League affiliate of the Miami Heat for over a decade...)

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Add this one to the ranks: I was out in Albuquerque New Mexico a couple days ago and, for some reason as yet unidentified by mankind, one of the sporting goods stores out there had a hat basket chock full of Indiana Pacers caps...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

7 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Add this one to the ranks: I was out in Albuquerque New Mexico a couple days ago and, for some reason as yet unidentified by mankind, one of the sporting goods stores out there had a hat basket chock full of Indiana Pacers caps...

Reminds me of the time I was walking through the sporting goods department of a Boston-area Target, and in the middle of the all the Red Sox/Celtics/Patriots t-shirts was one for Elon University.

• Like 3

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

My local Target had a bunch of Durham Bulls kids shirts that hung on the rack untouched for quite a while. They recently moved the team merch section, and the Durham shirts seem to have disappeared in the move. Hopefully they shipped them to NC, where people would actually want them. I'm sure there's people out there that would like Durham Bulls gear because of the movie, but it sure isn't kids in Toledo.

spacer.png

I had this pair of burnt-orange Texas shorts that I bought at Target in Minnesota...the only pair for sale. I have always assumed that they were purchased at a Target in Texas and returned to the Target in Minnesota, which makes sense, I guess. Why there would be a bunch of stuff from a random out-of-town team, I have no idea.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

During a trip to Italy in September 2019, I was wearing an Eagles shirt while hauling luggage from the train station to my Airbnb in Rome... I hear from an Italian guy walking towards me "How do you lose to Stafford?!" razzing me about the loss to the Lions that had just happened a few days prior. It was the last thing I would have expected to hear as I didn't expect my shirt to prompt any attention. We chatted football for a little bit and to my surprise, he rolled up his sleeve to show an Atlanta Falcons logo tattooed on his arm. The comment about my shirt was one thing but to meet a guy in Rome with a Falcons tattoo is something I never would have predicted.

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
  • WOAH 2