College Football 2023

MJWalker45

14 hours ago, See Red said:

Ugh... will be the guys seventh year.  Maybe I'm just an old man yelling at clouds but medical redshirt or not, I don't think this should be allowed.  I'd be in favor of a five year max, personally.  We've seen this year what a huge advantage having one of these sixth year QBs is.  I also think the extra covid year of eligibility was a mistake.

With many schools cutting down schedules and losing players week by week to illness, the Covid exemption made sense. To me, in the Rising case this is the same as the Mormons that go on missions for 2 years then come back to school for their last two years. Bo Nix is going to get a better paycheck next year because of the stats he put up this year because of the extra reps he got at Oregon, as opposed to playing in the USFL or XFL. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

23 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

With many schools cutting down schedules and losing players week by week to illness, the Covid exemption made sense. To me, in the Rising case this is the same as the Mormons that go on missions for 2 years then come back to school for their last two years. Bo Nix is going to get a better paycheck next year because of the stats he put up this year because of the extra reps he got at Oregon, as opposed to playing in the USFL or XFL. 

It’s not even the age thing to me. Rising’s been in QB rooms receiving coaching for six years already (unlike kids who go on missions and are away from CFB for two or whatever). It’s just such a massive competitive advantage. He’s going to be 25. Time to move onto whatever NFL practice squad he’s going to end up on.

The Covid year has had such a massive impact on college football and has impacted kids down the line since the scholarship limit hasn’t increased.  Florida State played nine games in 2020 and wasn’t bowl eligible, Wake played nine.  Just seems like huge overreactions to give kids like Jordan Travis and Sam Hartman full extra seasons because of it.

• Like 1

IUe6Hvh.png

23 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

The over/under for Nebraska-Iowa today is 24.5. 

We may never see a total this low again in our lifetimes. 

That's B1G football* my friend!

My dad once said about a particularly low-scoring Nebraska-Penn State game (while we were flipping stations on a Saturday some years back), "I tell ya, they'd run the ball underground if they could."

*Admittedly, Ohio State and Michigan are not generally included in this tongue-in-cheek characterization.

• LOL 3

9 minutes ago, Ted Cunningham said:

That's B1G football* my friend!

My dad once said about a particularly low-scoring Nebraska-Penn State game (while we were flipping stations on a Saturday some years back), "I tell ya, they'd run the ball underground if they could."

*Admittedly, Ohio State and Michigan are not generally included in this tongue-in-cheek characterization.

One of my fondest memories in college was sitting out in the snow for well over four hours to watch a Nebraska-Michigan State game where neither team scored a touchdown. 

• LOL 1

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

Well the under hit!

Iowa wins 13-10 after yet another inopportune quarterback turnover for Nebraska. 

Matt Rhule ends his first year 5-7. Pretty whelmed with his first year. Defense got a lot better, offense got a hell of a lot worse, mainly the quarterbacks. He’s never been a year one guy, so recordwise this is right where I expected us to be. 

Problems are pretty obvious, so I guess we’ll see if Rhule can fix it.

• Like 1

So, the mighty Green Wave is one win away from back-to-back New Year's Six games!

When Oregon State and Washington State start rebuilding the Pac-12, I hope Tulane has a place near the top of their wishlist.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Huh? 1

bYhYmxh.png

7 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

Well the under hit!

Iowa wins 13-10 after yet another inopportune quarterback turnover for Nebraska. 

Matt Rhule ends his first year 5-7. Pretty whelmed with his first year. Defense got a lot better, offense got a hell of a lot worse, mainly the quarterbacks. He’s never been a year one guy, so recordwise this is right where I expected us to be. 

Problems are pretty obvious, so I guess we’ll see if Rhule can fix it.

He’s not a year 2, 3, 4, or 5 year guy either

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, dont care said:

He’s not a year 2, 3, 4, or 5 year guy either

In college he has been. Went 2-6-10-10 at Temple and 1-7-11 at Baylor. 

Disastrous NFL tenure sure, but no college coach who’d want to go to Nebraska is without their red flags. At least worth a shot to see if he’s still got it in him. 

9 hours ago, Burmy said:

So, the mighty Green Wave is one win away from back-to-back New Year's Six games!

When Oregon State and Washington State start rebuilding the Pac-12, I hope Tulane has a place near the top of their wishlist.

Why would Tulane want to go from one Group of 5 conference to another? There's been interest in the past from the Big 12 and I could see the ACC wanting to get in New Orleans as well, so I can't see them making a lateral move when they can potentially move up. The Pac-# is not going to be a power conference again. Not happening. Adding Washington State and Oregon State to a bunch of G5 schools will not change that. Any school, like Tulane, San Diego State or Memphis, for example, would NOT join another G5 without some assurance that they can leave at anytime for a power conference. And all are potential power conference expansion candidates.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TBGKon said:

Reel that in a bit, they still have the conference championship game next week.

Exactly. It's more then likely they'll have to play SMU in the American Championship Game next weekend and if they falter, then either Toledo or Liberty could jump them and be the Group of Five rep in the New Year's Six.

1 minute ago, Seadragon76 said:

Exactly. It's more then likely they'll have to play SMU in the American Championship Game next weekend and if they falter, then either Toledo or Liberty could jump them and be the Group of Five rep in the New Year's Six.

SMU could hop them too.  There's talk that if a Texas-SMU Cotton Bowl is possible, you might see that happen.

2 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

I say this as a proud Toledo alum - the Rockets have no business playing in a New Year's Six bowl game.

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg

46 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

I say this as a proud Toledo alum - the Rockets have no business playing in a New Year's Six bowl game.

Having been at the SJSU game, I agree. It's been a fun year, and it's great to see them at 11-1, but they are far from a complete team, and would not fare well against most of the top 20. I'd expect them to end up in something like the Sun Bowl.

spacer.png

5 minutes ago, Cujo said:

College fans are wild for wanting a coach with a 90% winning percentage fired

14 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

Cheaters never win! Three in a row for Michigan, this might be lights out for Ryan Day. 

This idiots will want Meyer back or Hartline to take over, then complain if they lose again next year. Day has lost 7 games, and he's likely getting 2 of those back if any actual punishment comes to Michigan. They made due with the backup to the backup, Ewers would have been the starter this year, and still won 11 games. This is the classic example of fans who've had it too good. 

2 minutes ago, LMU said:

Especially with the playoff field expanding.

I also wonder how crazy fans will be if both teams know they're in the Big Ten championship, since divisions go away next year. I don't think it's happening, but it's a possibility now. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I'm happy for the Michigan win. That always makes my year. But damn if that wasn't an amazing game on both ends. That Buckeyes team played with heart. But glad Michigan wanted it more. Now it's the game where there's No pity for the Kitty. But looks like another year. Because ASU sucks.