2023 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVIII

canzman

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

I swear I remember something about how the Chiefs' white/white/white combo was Lamar Hunt's favorite and that they wore it for the first time in a long time as a tribute to him after he died. That's kind of neat. Maybe they should reserve it for games against the Raiders or something. They have to include the striped socks, though.

The Broncos made a huge mistake and the Eagles look even more terrible than usual lately.

I feel like the Broncos set isn't far off from being decent though. Invert orange and blue on either the pants or the jersey, and it would help the set a ton. It's the blob of orange that is killing it. I think the helmet is fantastic to be honest. It's just getting killed by the color rush uni. 

• Like 1

I never appreciated either of these uniforms as a kid. This is what last night's Bengals-Cardinals game should have looked like. Even if back in 2003, Cincinnati wore black pants on the road (they had them but wore them at home only), this would have looked great. 

Cincinnati's current road set just looks wrong b/c there isn't enough orange in the jersey, then the road socks are just plain white, it looks completely off. Arizona? They looked like a high school team that ordered a "blackout" uniform halfway through the season as a treat for having a team GPA above 3.0, or something like that. 

2003_CIN_1.png2003_ARZ_3.png

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

5 hours ago, canzman said:

Commanders @ Falcons
ZDboliA.jpg BNivuSY.jpg

Really, Falcons? You're gonna waste a throwback game on the terrible Commies uniforms?

5 hours ago, canzman said:

49ers @ Browns
5YtbXTc.jpg 0ZZJwyd.jpg

Also, this Browns look might become an eyesore in the bright sunlight of an afternoon game

Didn't Ohio State have a helmet with a really thick stripe a few years ago?  I vaguely recall it, but maybe not.  Either way, maybe a thicker stripe would help that Browns helmet.  And maybe numbers on the sides, just to make it a little less white.

It's already not a genuine throwback, so why not?

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

35 minutes ago, ruttep said:

Really, Falcons? You're gonna waste a throwback game on the terrible Commies uniforms?

Also, this Browns look might become an eyesore in the bright sunlight of an afternoon game

The ATL-WAS game is somewhat salvageable if Washington wears burgundy pants OR socks. There’s much more heinous matchup crimes with the Atlanta throwbacks. Like if they wore them against Tennessee, Denver, or Jacksonville.

Agreed on the Cleveland throwbacks. This one is a wasted game. Instead of the standard and classic brown over orange. We get the Browns dragging this matchup into the mud.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Didn't Ohio State have a helmet with a really thick stripe a few years ago?  I vaguely recall it, but maybe not.  Either way, maybe a thicker stripe would help that Browns helmet.  And maybe numbers on the sides, just to make it a little less white.

It's already not a genuine throwback, so why not?

This is what Ohio State wore sometime between 2012-14. They had red and white versions and they were essentially 90s fauxbacks.

Ohio State to wear white alternate uniforms for Penn State's 'White Out' -  Land-Grant Holy Land

I think the Browns could maybe pull off a wider stripe with numbers, but that's all dependent on what number font they'd use on the helmets. 

• Like 4

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

28 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

The ATL-WAS game is somewhat salvageable if Washington wears burgundy pants OR socks. There’s much more heinous matchup crimes with the Atlanta throwbacks. Like if they wore them against Tennessee, Denver, or Jacksonville.

Agreed on the Cleveland throwbacks. This one is a wasted game. Instead of the standard and classic brown over orange. We get the Browns dragging this matchup into the mud.

The Atlanta throwbacks will distract from Washington's flaws and make that matchup less terrible than it probably would've been. And yes, Cleveland really screwed up choosing the San Fran game for the white uniform. They could've chosen Arizona in Week 9, which would've made more sense than wearing them twice in the first six weeks. 

They also wore brown against them already in 2021:

usa_today_16977418.0.jpg

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

I swear I remember something about how the Chiefs' white/white/white combo was Lamar Hunt's favorite and that they wore it for the first time in a long time as a tribute to him after he died. That's kind of neat. Maybe they should reserve it for games against the Raiders or something. They have to include the striped socks, though.

The Broncos made a huge mistake and the Eagles look even more terrible than usual lately.

This is correct.  It was Lamar’s favorite.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

I feel like the Broncos set isn't far off from being decent though. Invert orange and blue on either the pants or the jersey, and it would help the set a ton. It's the blob of orange that is killing it. I think the helmet is fantastic to be honest. It's just getting killed by the color rush uni. 

As I said above, it just needs a white pant with a stripe that matches the helmet and this is instantly a good set.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

I never appreciated either of these uniforms as a kid. This is what last night's Bengals-Cardinals game should have looked like. Even if back in 2003, Cincinnati wore black pants on the road (they had them but wore them at home only), this would have looked great. 

Cincinnati's current road set just looks wrong b/c there isn't enough orange in the jersey, then the road socks are just plain white, it looks completely off. Arizona? They looked like a high school team that ordered a "blackout" uniform halfway through the season as a treat for having a team GPA above 3.0, or something like that. 

2003_CIN_1.png2003_ARZ_3.png

Those particular Cardinals uniforms still do nothing for me and aren't much better than their current ones. I don't think they've ever had a good home uniform, at least not in the modern era.

As for the Bengals, black pants would have been okay, but what they really could have used was orange pants to match the helmet. It's crazy that they've never once had that as an option.

• Like 1

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

One of my biggest pet peeves in the NFL, especially as of recent as it seems to be more common over the past few years, are teams wearing their Alternate uniforms vs a team from the opposite conference. These matchups are super rare, only once every 4/8 years for certain uniform combos. The only exception I have is when both teams are wearing era appropriate Throwbacks*, but that almost never happens.

EDIT: *Though to clarify now that if a team's current uniform is the same as it was back then, that would be fine as an "era appropriate throwback"

• Like 2

da0Lbhs.png

1 hour ago, simtek34 said:

One of my biggest pet peeves in the NFL, especially as of recent as it seems to be more common over the past few years, are teams wearing their Alternate uniforms vs a team from the opposite conference. These matchups are super rare, only once every 4/8 years for certain uniform combos. The only exception I have is when both teams are wearing era appropriate Throwbacks*, but that almost never happens.

EDIT: *Though to clarify now that if a team's current uniform is the same as it was back then, that would be fine as an "era appropriate throwback"

Yet you always hear complaints when teams wear the same alts against the same opponents year after year

6 hours ago, Pigskin12 said:

It is a crime that we've been robbed of a modern version of this matchup, especially when both teams are good right now.

20071230_023752_49ers_123007_p3.jpg?w=51

2015 gave us this garbage:

williams-ian-49ers.jpg

🗣️🗣️ GIVE US WHAT WE WANT!

YA2M54P5WRCWVBNTSWKKES7QSM.jpg

• Like 2

6uXNWAo.png

7 hours ago, Pigskin12 said:

They also wore brown against them already in 2021:

usa_today_16977418.0.jpg

That was when Arizona was in the previous design. Now they'll be in their new ones. 

The Cardinals only appearance so far in the white uniform has been against another red team, their NFC West rival SF. I'd like to see them against a team who doesn't have the same color before just brushing them off.