2023 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVIII

canzman

6 minutes ago, Blast_Brothers said:

The funny thing to me about the all-black or all-white uniforms is that they don't even accomplish their stated goal of being "special". It's hardly even a "trend" at this point; it's just the norm now.

When 90% of football teams in the country have an all-white and an all-mono look... what's so special about yours?

Exactly.

And with the Saints, it’s not that I don’t think black or white pants are a bad idea, but the current ones are executed horribly and this whole mono-sock trend doesn’t help. The Saints used to have both color pants decades ago, but with stripes and socks to match. Looked beautiful. The current all-white is a cheap Walmart knock off version of the Color Rush, which for the record they still haven’t worn yet this season…

• Like 3

What makes me mad is even as a Falcons fan, I think if the Saints wore the right shade of gold and color combinations between jerseys and pants they would have one of the best looks in the NFL. But, they insist on wearing plain uniforms and colorless combos. It's actually quite hysterical. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Pigskin12 said:

Just an odd decision all around. Everyone loves the Chargers’ powder blues and the Jets are just gonna let them wear them in their home stadium in prime time. I don’t get it. And white over black in their minds is supposed to compete with the look as though it’s even comparable lol

I want to see the Jets in green pants with the white jerseys in the current look against the Chargers powder blue jersey and white pants. We missed on that in 2020. 

When did NYJ start the white over black look? Was it during the first year of Robert Saleh and Zach Wilson?

• Like 1

So, as it stands now, we have basically a number of  teams with good color schemes:

Saints

Jets

Jaguars

Eagles 

Falcons

Who have become, essentially, black and white teams. It’s gotten to a point that when we see Eagles green pants or Jets green jerseys, we’re rejoicing. If we see Saints ‘gold’ pants, we throw a dang parade. 

(Yes, the Jags have a teal primary, but look at them on the road and tell me there’s teal in their identity).

You’re on thin ice too, Panthers…

Edited by timjameskohler
  • Like 6

44 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

What makes me mad is even as a Falcons fan, I think if the Saints wore the right shade of gold and color combinations between jerseys and pants they would have one of the best looks in the NFL. But, they insist on wearing plain uniforms and colorless combos. It's actually quite hysterical. 

8 minutes ago, timjameskohler said:

So, as it stands now, we have basically a number of  teams with good color schemes:

Saints

Jets

Jaguars

Eagles 

Falcons

Who have become, essentially, black and white teams. It’s gotten to a point that when we see Eagles green pants or Jets green jerseys, we’re rejoicing. If we see Saints ‘gold’ pants, we throw a dang parade. 

(Yes, the Jags have a teal primary, but look at them on the road and tell me there’s teal in their identity).

Pretty much. It’s sad that we’ve gotten to this point. And honestly, the Saints gold, Eagles and Jet green, Falcons red, and Jaguars teal are all their best colors and yet are hardly ever worn.  Makes no sense. And given that two other teams in the NFC South wear black as their primary, I really miss the Falcons red.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, timjameskohler said:

Saints

Jets

Jaguars

Eagles 

Falcons

You’re on thin ice too, Panthers…

Agree with all except Eagles. (A) I just don't like midnight green and (B) we at least still see the green jerseys for pretty much every home game.

47 minutes ago, ruttep said:

Agree with all except Eagles. (A) I just don't like midnight green and (B) we at least still see the green jerseys for pretty much every home game.

I’ll take Kelly green any day but I don’t mind the midnight. It’s a unique NFL color.  Of course, they pair the green jerseys with white from the waist down…

26 minutes ago, Pigskin12 said:

Not to mention the Bucs have been wearing less red than ever lately.

What a shame. Red over pewter has been their best combination for 25 years and they don’t even wear it. 

Im going to assume the Buccaneers have gone the way of the Cowboys and Dolphins. White at home and only break out their ‘primaries’ for special occasions. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gothedistance said:

When did NYJ start the white over black look? Was it during the first year of Robert Saleh and Zach Wilson?

It was, which was the 2021 season. They played TNF in Indianapolis and wanted to do something "special" for the occasion but were limited because they were the away team.

Then they brought it back last season for funsies and managed to reel off four straight wins in it, so here we are.

4 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I’m very intrigued and curious about this. Is it green in general that they hate, or the particular shade as opposed to other greens? Or something else about it?

This is all 100% coming from a place of pure curiosity, as I’m mostly just surprised to hear of a team’s traditional primary color that gets flak from its fanbase. I haven’t heard many cases of that before and would love to understand why that is (or see if I’m misunderstanding this altogether, which is totally possible haha).

4 hours ago, ruttep said:

If I had to guess, green is the "boring" or "safe" option. All white is "🥶🥶🥶" and black jerseys/pants are "🔥🔥🔥". There probably is an element of morale to it, where trend-hopping makes them feel stronger or something. I don't know. This is all speculation, but that's the sense that I get from how players and fans react to uniforms on social media.

I'm seeing some mixed to "whatever, cool that Woody listens to his players though" reviews from the Jets subreddit about this week.

From what I've seen online, I think it's less green being the "boring" or "safe" option, it's that the jerseys have not been super well received/overstayed their welcome and that the white jersey is the seemingly less egregious option. This then feeds into the all white trend and then black is off on its own getting the alternate/flame emoji pop (though I have been seeing some more pushback on the black, at least on the subreddit).

This whole jersey discussion has been brought to the forefront with this year's throwbacks and people realizing that this is year five of the Jets current set. I think if you were to take the temperature of the Jets fanbase, it would definitely be moving towards switching to the throwbacks fulltime. If that were to be the case, I don't know if the green jerseys would be as maligned.

• Like 6

IbjBaeE.png

38 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

It was, which was the 2021 season. They played TNF in Indianapolis and wanted to do something "special" for the occasion but were limited because they were the away team.

Then they brought it back last season for funsies and managed to reel off four straight wins in it, so here we are.

I'm seeing some mixed to "whatever, cool that Woody listens to his players though" reviews from the Jets subreddit about this week.

From what I've seen online, I think it's less green being the "boring" or "safe" option, it's that the jerseys have not been super well received/overstayed their welcome and that the white jersey is the seemingly less egregious option. This then feeds into the all white trend and then black is off on its own getting the alternate/flame emoji pop (though I have been seeing some more pushback on the black, at least on the subreddit).

This whole jersey discussion has been brought to the forefront with this year's throwbacks and people realizing that this is year five of the Jets current set. I think if you were to take the temperature of the Jets fanbase, it would definitely be moving towards switching to the throwbacks fulltime. If that were to be the case, I don't know if the green jerseys would be as maligned.

I’m just really confused about why Jets fans don’t like the green jerseys or why they weren’t well received. I get black is the cool and trendy color, but wasn’t Gotham Green supposed to be a big deal?

Like I said in an earlier reply, the only thing that’s stuck out to me about the Jets current set is how the helmet green is noticeably off from the jersey and pants green. That’s the only possible issue I could think of with the Jets green jerseys hardly being worn.

5 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I’m very intrigued and curious about this. Is it green in general that they hate, or the particular shade as opposed to other greens? Or something else about it?

This is all 100% coming from a place of pure curiosity, as I’m mostly just surprised to hear of a team’s traditional primary color that gets flak from its fanbase. I haven’t heard many cases of that before and would love to understand why that is (or see if I’m misunderstanding this altogether, which is totally possible haha).

I think it is the new shade of "Gotham Green".  When we were hunter green nobody seemed to make a stink until it looked like army green with the new nike template. As far as  the gotham green I don't mind it but find it looks different depending on lighting. Without a doubt when I go to games the gotham green jerseys are rarely seen amongst the fans. The entire look as a whole just reminds us all of the Gase years.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, kaleb_girod said:

I’m just really confused about why Jets fans don’t like the green jerseys or why they weren’t well received. I get black is the cool and trendy color, but wasn’t Gotham Green supposed to be a big deal?

Like I said above, I don't believe it is really a widespread issue with the green per se, it's an issue with the jerseys as a whole where the white jersey is like the lesser of two evils for a lot of people. Some people don't like the shade of green but I've never seen that be a huge refrain. If you are going to wear a questionable outfit, would you rather wear it in a garish colour or would you rather wear it in white with the garish as a accent?

I can't speak to the locker room's nor the organization's thoughts on the white jerseys. Maybe the players aren't too hot on the green or the organization likes the whites, we can't really speak to that.

Like I also said above, it will remain to be seen if any jersey switch would change the feelings around the green jerseys.

21 minutes ago, kaleb_girod said:

Like I said in an earlier reply, the only thing that’s stuck out to me about the Jets current set is how the helmet green is noticeably off from the jersey and pants green. That’s the only possible issue I could think of with the Jets green jerseys hardly being worn.

That's just a unfortunate issue of different the jerseys and the helmets being made of different materials along with the paint treatment on the helmets. I don't think that's anyone's true problem with the greens.

IbjBaeE.png

26 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Like I said above, I don't believe it is really a widespread issue with the green per se, it's an issue with the jerseys as a whole where the white jersey is like the lesser of two evils for a lot of people. Some people don't like the shade of green but I've never seen that be a huge refrain. If you are going to wear a questionable outfit, would you rather wear it in a garish colour or would you rather wear it in white with the garish as a accent?

I can't speak to the locker room's nor the organization's thoughts on the white jerseys. Maybe the players aren't too hot on the green or the organization likes the whites, we can't really speak to that.

Like I also said above, it will remain to be seen if any jersey switch would change the feelings around the green jerseys.

That's just a unfortunate issue of different the jerseys and the helmets being made of different materials along with the paint treatment on the helmets. I don't think that's anyone's true problem with the greens.

Hmm, I actually had to find photos comparing the Reebok and Nike versions of green and I must say they’re definitely different. Since I’m not a Jets fan, I never directly noticed the difference until just now, but I could totally see why some fans wouldn’t like that change, especially being the primary color. I guess it’s like the Saints gold issue where the fans don’t like the shade of it (hence the khaki comparison), but tbh the Reebok gold was the same color, just shiny. That’s what Saints fans seem to dislike so much. But it’s not like one was completely and noticeably different unlike the Jets.

And yeah, could be lighting as you say or the different materials, but to me it’s always been pretty noticeable. Unfortunately since I’m new here I’m not sure how to include images, or else I’d be able to show examples. I’ve tried, but no luck so far. Maybe some help lol.