2023 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVIII

canzman

9 hours ago, GoHawks said:

Be careful what you wish for. I’ve heard rumors that next year the Lions will have black alternate uniforms. Not sure if it will be black jerseys with gray pants like it was in the past or mono black uniforms but I’m guessing it will be the latter.

Can I ask where you are hearing this rumor?

13 hours ago, GoHawks said:

Be careful what you wish for. I’ve heard rumors that next year the Lions will have black alternate uniforms. Not sure if it will be black jerseys with gray pants like it was in the past or mono black uniforms but I’m guessing it will be the latter.

Didn’t the Lions remove black from the color palette with their new uniforms? But now they want to bring it back??

How about the Lions just not have a Color Rush? I mean aren’t their new “favorite” all-blue and all-white combos enough?? Sheesh.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, kaleb_girod said:

Didn’t the Lions remove black from the color palette with their new uniforms? But now they want to bring it back??

How about the Lions just not have a Color Rush? I mean aren’t their new “favorite” all-blue and all-white combos enough?? Sheesh.

Don't underestimate the sway of some marketing person either internally with Detroit or at Nike being like, "yo, that all-black slaps" and everyone being like yeah the Cardinals did it! The Falcons did it! We need to do it! 

• Like 1

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/texans/article/houston-texans-new-uniforms-unveiled-oilers-blue-18588895.php

More Texans news. It's either very interesting or foreboding...depending on your point of view...

EDIT: My bad everyone...it's behind a paywall... https://uni-watch.com/2024/01/08/still-more-info-on-houston-texans-upcoming-uniforms-emerges/ instead 

15 hours ago, GoHawks said:

OH GOD NO

• Like 1

Hmm, wonder if 👇🏾this hue will be the approximate new "H-Town Blue"...

Screenshot-2024-01-06-at-12.50.38-PM-134

...And from that same linked article, um...this:

Vosik added the four versions of the uniform will be completely different from each other and not simply a repeat in various colors. That would be a way to make sure everyone gets what they want. Before drawing up designs, the team set up a fan council, which provided feedback that varied from fans who wanted to keep the uniforms traditional to others who wanted a drastic change. Players also gave their input on what they’d like to wear starting next season.Vosik thinks all corners of the fan bases will find what they’re looking for in at least one of the four new designs.

“We said, ‘OK, if you want timeless traditional, here’s the one uniform that answers that,’” he said. “If you want to take it one step further and say timeless traditional gets refreshed, we have one for that. If you said, ‘Hey, I’m into this bull thing, let’s get wild,’ we have one for that. And if someone said, ‘Hey, I want you to pay homage to H-Town Blue,’ and if the players are saying, ‘I want something tough, I want something mean,’ we’ve got something for that.”

As many of us predicted, this mayyyy end up going pretty not good. I also think this "different from each other" thing is gonna signal a new micro-trend in NFL uniform design. But I'll speculate on that layer. For now, I'll just say, based on the above, I'm gonna direct, and request that you all direct, any and all vitriol that is sure to be released come April, toward this Vosik character and Texans brass. Apparently, they're the ones who enabled this appease-all-people approach.

• Like 5

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1 hour ago, Pigskin12 said:

“Not just the same design in different colorways” is terrifying. Sounds like another Commanders/Cardinals situation. How delightful..

Who comes up with these "trends"? As a Giants fan, it can get confusing when you have four uniforms for your team and they all have a different design. I don't get coming up with new uniforms that don't use the same basic design.

5 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Per rules, the Lions absolutely cannot have a black alternate to pair with their current set. The color has to be within the official palette.

The Chargers have a navy alt and a royal blue alt, but neither color appears anywhere on their primary uniform. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

The Chargers have a navy alt and a royal blue alt, but neither color appears anywhere on their primary uniform. 

Fair. Part of me wonders if they try to pass them off as “fauxbacks”

The best thing the Lions did in their 2017 redesign was remove black from their color palette. It gave them necessary distance in color scheme from the Panthers, which I honestly forgot was even an issue back then, until this talk of a black alternate came up. 

The Lions set is honestly close to perfect as-is, the only change I would absolutely make would be to get rid of the dark gray, replacing the outline of the home jersey numbers with white, and sticking with the lighter gray for the alternate, using it as a road alt much like the Seahawks have done. The helmet finish on their alternate blue lid is honestly really nice too, though I’d probably make it closer in design to the main helmet. Overall though, I can’t say I’d be optimistic about a redesign improving on what they have now.

Similarly, even though the Texans’ current set leaves a bit to be desired, from the sounds of it I don’t anticipate their redesign improving on what they currently have, although I can’t help but be curious. It’ll likely be a Titans scenario where a middle-of-the-road uniform set looks great in retrospect, compared to what replaced it.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, rfraser85 said:

Who comes up with these "trends"? As a Giants fan, it can get confusing when you have four uniforms for your team and they all have a different design. I don't get coming up with new uniforms that don't use the same basic design.

Well...in fairness, the Giants' current sets ans the '80s-'04ish Vikings' and Cardinals' uniforms were more or less a byproduct of time and cirsumstance. The current Cardinals uniforms (and Giants, for that matter) are based on order looks that just so happened to "not match". These new Texans' sets seem like they're being designed that way on purpose; that's the big hitch. 

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

Vosik thinks all corners of the fan bases will find what they’re looking for in at least one of the four new designs.

We haven't seen anything yet and making everything different can and has worked, also the thought is nice so I'll reserve my judgment but I'm reminded of one of Mark Brendanawicz's only funny gags in Parks and Rec.

"You ever heard the saying that a camel is a horse designed by a committee?"

1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

It gave them necessary distance in color scheme from the Panthers, which I honestly forgot was even an issue back then, until this talk of a black alternate came up. 

?? Not trying to argue that black needs to be in the Lions' color scheme (it shouldn't), but how are these two confused for one another?

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

get rid of the dark gray, replacing the outline of the home jersey numbers with white

Yes

1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

sticking with the lighter gray for the alternate

No. Burn the gray jersey

1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

The helmet finish on their alternate blue lid is honestly really nice too, though I’d probably make it closer in design to the main helmet

This helmet needs to be worn with the blue pants

• Yawn 1

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

Per rules, the Lions absolutely cannot have a black alternate to pair with their current set. The color has to be within the official palette.

If only leagues treated white the same way

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Eyeroll 1

If you read on the card you'll be cheating on your heart.

8 minutes ago, ruttep said:

?? Not trying to argue that black needs to be in the Lions' color scheme (it shouldn't), but how are these two confused for one another?

I never said they were confused for one another, only that the two were unnecessarily similar.

I'm not sure how one could argue that these two aren't remarkably similar, though:

nNCzdPS.png3YKY7U8.png

Of course, the Panthers' primary jersey is black, and they don't really wear the silver pants much anymore, so the point is pretty moot. But regardless, even if the two aren't confused for each other, maintaining distance, especially while remaining truer to the Lions' broader history, is a good thing.

15 minutes ago, ruttep said:

No. Burn the gray jersey

I'd like it if it matched the lighter silver. With blue pants it'd look especially nice (and maybe even the blue helmet). I wouldn't mind all silver once a year, though.

16 minutes ago, ruttep said:

This helmet needs to be worn with the blue pants

Agreed.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

nNCzdPS.png3YKY7U8.png

That's fair.

25 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

I'd like it if it matched the lighter silver. With blue pants it'd look especially nice (and maybe even the blue helmet). I wouldn't mind all silver once a year, though.

Agree to disagree on this one.

Really, I agree with the point of your original post. The Lions' current uniforms should be a modern classic as long as proper combos are worn. I just don't see that happening with how they had their best season in a generation in :censored:-up combos.

All they need in my opinion:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

(Thanksgiving only)

• Like 11
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, MJD7 said:

I never said they were confused for one another, only that the two were unnecessarily similar.

I'm not sure how one could argue that these two aren't remarkably similar, though:

nNCzdPS.png3YKY7U8.png

Do you recall/remember this game?

detroit-lions-v-carolina-panthers.jpg?s=

detroit-lions-v-carolina-panthers.jpg?s=

That was when Detroit and Carolina met in the preseason of 2023.

• Like 3