MLB 2024 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

37 minutes ago, Danny the Sheeb said:

IMO, this would be too much of a good thing.  Yeah, it was fun for a weekend, but seeing those bats for every game in a 162-game season would make the novelty factor wear off REAL quick.  Better for it to stay a special-event kind of thing.

Counterpoint: would it really be that much different than custom goalie masks and pads in the NHL? I think people would get used to it and admire the players' creativity even once the novelty wears off.

• Like 4

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

53 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

Counterpoint: would it really be that much different than custom goalie masks and pads in the NHL? I think people would get used to it and admire the players' creativity even once the novelty wears off.

That something works, exists, or is accepted on one league has no bearing on any other league. League aesthetics are different.

Counterpoint to your point - ads should be totally fine because they happen in European leagues and people are used to it.

• Like 1
  • Eyeroll 1

It's where I sit.

3 hours ago, Ted Cunningham said:

They might be, but I also think that photo has been sharpened to the point of causing artifacts in areas of high contrast. So the white of the pinstripes look like they have outlines darker than the jersey, when in reality it's likely just Photoshop (or whatever software) pushing the contrast in order to "sharpen" the image.

I don't think so, but YMMV. The trim pattern on the back number suggests that these most likely are black/white/black pinstripes. It's the magic of sublimation! 🤪

3 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Given that MLB put a quick and thorough kybosh on custom catchers helmets, I suspect we won't be seeing full-time custom bats any time soon. 

5 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Valid point.  I do think, however, that custom bats are more distracting than goalie masks, since so much of the viewing experience focuses on the batter.  If most (if not every) player in the lineup is using a custom bat, every game, that's a constant eyeful.  Goalie masks aren't nearly as much of an integral part of the game.  Me personally, I'd be tired of it by the end of April.  Just my $0.02.

"The guns have fallen silent.  The stars have aligned.  The great wait is over.  Come see.  It will not be televised."

On 9/1/2024 at 1:42 PM, kmccarthy27 said:

Are the Astros getting new City Connects? At the game today and all City Connect replicas as $50

Update: City Connect New Era 5950’s are $10 too

If it was just the jerseys, I would wonder if it was the previous template, and they were just trying to get rid of old stock.

The hats give your theory more credence, though.

That would be a bit of a bummer, as I think Houston has one of the better City Connects. We’ll see if they end up joining the Nationals as the next teams that will (likely) get their City Connect 2.0s next year.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, MJD7 said:

That would be a bit of a bummer, as I think Houston has one of the better City Connects. We’ll see if they end up joining the Nationals as the next teams that will (likely) get their City Connect 2.0s next year.

I loved the Nats CC set. Sad to hear they may go to. It was a perfect example of a DC area team not needing Red White and Blue color schemes all the time. Probably why I lived DC United and Commanders growing up in that area, it’s not the “default” city color scheme. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kmccarthy27 said:

I loved the Nats CC set. Sad to hear they may go to. It was a perfect example of a DC area team not needing Red White and Blue color schemes all the time. Probably why I lived DC United and Commanders growing up in that area, it’s not the “default” city color scheme. 

True. Although they wore those way too much. Friday and  Saturday games every single weekend home series is overkill.

• Like 1

And so it begins... The Nationals and Astros have two of the more successful City Connects. My theory is, Nike is trying to maximize its profit by rolling out a new uniform. Who wants to bet the cherry blossom and space city replacements are nowhere near as popular as their predecessor? 

• Like 2

On 9/4/2024 at 8:58 PM, aawagner011 said:

I thought we already knew the CCs are on a three year rotation.

The three year rule just means each team's City Connect has a lifespan of at least three seasons. It doesn't mean that once a team's City Connect has been around for three years, it has to be retired. Case in point, every team that introduced their design in 2021 could have rolled out a new one this season, but only the Dodgers chose to do so. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, coco1997 said:

The three year rule just means each team's City Connect has a lifespan of at least three seasons. It doesn't mean that once a team's City Connect has been around for three years, it has to be retired. Case in point, every team that introduced their design in 2021 could have rolled out a new design this season, but only the Dodgers chose to do so. 

I like the Cubs one too much for them to retire it. Especially the hat.

With new ownership in place, I suspect the Orioles COULD BE IN LINE FOR  a complete overhaul of their uniform set. I'm frankly terrified by the prospect of what the "designers" at Nike WOULD come up with. The next iteration of the Cash Grab Connect is the least of my current worries.

Edited by M59
"are going to get" seemed to confuse or set off a couple of folks
  • Like 1
  • Huh? 1
  • Dislike 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Eyeroll 1

22 minutes ago, M59 said:

With new ownership in place, I suspect the Orioles are going to get a complete overhaul of their uniform set. I'm frankly terrified by the prospect of what the "designers" at Nike are going to come up with. The next iteration of the Cash Grab Connect is the least of my current worries.

I'm curious: what is the basis of this suspicion (beyond new ownership)? I mean, sure, the O's uniforms have gone through some smaller-scale changes over the years (switch to cartoon bird from ornothological bird, short-lived switch to black scripts on the home jerseys in the '90s, etc.), but beyond that, that organization had never made any major changes to that set in its history...

• Like 4

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||