MLS Kits 2024

kylonian

23 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Wanna stop by for a second to say to all those who swear up and down that yellow should never touch white: take a good look at this. 1) it ain't illegal, not even in the "rule" of tincture; and 2) when done right it can be mighty effective. (Also works for a team with a nickname inspired by space...)

16 hours ago, upperV03 said:

They made no mention of it in the kit unveiling, but within Adidas Seattle’s new kit is apparently dubbed “The Macklemore Kit”. It helps to explain the nauseating stripes and the ridiculous hipster shoot. This is straight from the head of club football apparel at Adidas:

spacer.png

Now why didn’t the club make mention of it during the unveiling? Probably because they’re saving it for a future tie-in or someone within the club realized how embarrassing it was.

All the public figures in Seattle's cultural history to name a kit after—if they even had to name a kit after a certain someone—and that's the one they chose???

• Like 2

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

I didn’t see anyone post a picture of the full Whitecaps kit yesterday, but it’s too good not to share:

spacer.png

White shorts/navy socks would be a more fitting combo for the Caps’ kit history, but I love the Chelsea-esque combination. I can’t remember another MLS team wearing a kit combo like this, at least not as a first choice combo. I’ve long thought Orlando would be a natural candidate to wear a Chelsea-esque kit combo for their primary kit.

It's not bad, just that the Whitecaps are a team who have had the chestband on most of their jerseys and it seems a miss that their 50th anniversary shirt doesn't have one, and that the team aren't using a version of the 79-84 logo, though that never appeared on the jerseys back then.

It's also using gold as an accent colour for a dark anniversary jersey, and that feels so overplayed at this point.

• Like 1

MLS was seemingly so all-in on the mono looks for so long that I can't remember many instances of contrasting socks, and socks only, being the first-choice combo. The last couple years of Chicago Fire's identity crisis they were doing navy shorts/shirts with red socks. And I remember that (horrible) Revolution away a couple years ago with the then-Spain design and the split two-tone blue trim, paired the aqua-ish blue socks with white shorts and shirts. But that's all I've got.

The Whitecaps kit is a little lacking to me... between the badge and the lack of hoop and the lack of light blue, just doesn't feel like "them". Maybe including the other blue instead of white as a third color would've helped.

37 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Wanna stop by for a second to say to all those who swear up and down that yellow should never touch white: take a good look at this. 1) it ain't illegal, not even in the "rule" of tincture; and 2) when done right it can be mighty effective. (Also works for a team with a nickname inspired by space...)

Galaxy use a nice deep shade of yellow that makes this work. Don't think I'd want it as their default look but for a cycle every now and then, it's nice. The negative-space sash is pretty creative and decent-looking, too. Color scheme reminds me of their final years pre-Beckham and pre-rebrand, whether or not that's intentional.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2024 at 11:00 AM, PaleVermilion81 said:

For a team called the Loons it makes no sense and doesn't alignment to any of their kit history. That's the stupidity of it. If it was, say, a team called the Galaxy it would be the perfect kit. Or a team based in some state where they had a song that said, "The stars at night...are big and bright...". For a team who is the Loons...just dumb...

I mean we use our state motto, "l'etoile du nord" (star of the north) all throughout the branding of MNUFC so it makes sense. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

The adidas stripes are single-color, so the yellow-and-white rule doesn’t quite apply here. If the stripes or numbers were navy trimmed in gold, then it’d be a “violation” of the rule (not really, but you get the picture)

Regardless, that’s the best Galaxy kit in quite some time. I’m on record saying I prefer the Galaxy when they emphasize gold  oand as a non-sash fan (more Real Madrid-ish directions), the “ghost” sash accomplishes both.

2 hours ago, tBBP said:

12 minutes ago, GFB said:

The adidas stripes are single-color, so the yellow-and-white rule doesn’t quite apply here. If the stripes or numbers were navy trimmed in gold, then it’d be a “violation” of the rule (not really, but you get the picture)

The three stripes on the shirt and shorts have a very thin dark blue outline, while those on the hose look to be just gold. Also on the mothership the writeup describes the pinstripes as gray, but they are actually dark blue.

LA%20Galaxy%202024%20Home%20Kit%20%20(3)

And with the crest now using just the one shade of gold, the GALAXY script has lost it's underline, which the team should have accounted for and moved the lettering to the midline of the scroll.

• Like 2

We will get more looks in a couple hours at the Atlanta reveal, but @adidasfootball posted this on Instagram. First look at the full kit. I was really hoping they’d use royal blue shorts. Hopefully there’s a second pair available.

spacer.png

• Like 2

I said this when it was first “unveiled” by the Hawks, for my money it’s the best away kit ATL has had. That said, the more I look at it the more I think they should’ve swapped the yellow and light blue or forgotten the light blue altogether.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

San Jose Earthquakes new away

mls%202024%20kits%20(23).jpg

As a 50 year anniversary kit celebrating the teams history, it does a better job of that than the Vancouver change and Seattle Home, with the NASL colours and the period logos.

mls%202024%20kits%20(4).jpg

And while it has the huge back panels, they don't look nearly as out of place as most other shirts using the template due to San Jose being able to use side panels.
mls%202024%20kits%20(25).jpg

And with the red side panels and the black hem/side trim, there is also a nod to the 81-82 kit.

564rokmb9rorq9q7a12xwgwkv.gif

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Applause 2

from the league website, here is an overview on all the "names" of kits/jerseys.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

It's not bad, just that the Whitecaps are a team who have had the chestband on most of their jerseys and it seems a miss that their 50th anniversary shirt doesn't have one, and that the team aren't using a version of the 79-84 logo, though that never appeared on the jerseys back then.

It's also using gold as an accent colour for a dark anniversary jersey, and that feels so overplayed at this point.

a mockup of a chestband version from the r/WhitecapsFC

spacer.png

spacer.png

Personally I'd have preferred if they used the current logo and maybe their older one(s) on the neck or tag or all "watermarked" over the whole jersey.

the special color combo seems fitting for an classic anniversary - even if it's not their usual color palette.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, MrOrange said:

the special color combo seems fitting for an classic anniversary - even if it's not their usual color palette.

When every other team has brought out a jersey with a dark base colour with gold trim over the past decade, it stops being special and feels more like a boilerplate example of a anniversary jersey.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MinnyHockey said:

I mean we use our state motto, "l'etoile du nord" (star of the north) all throughout the branding of MNUFC so it makes sense. 

if they used the star in their logo as a pattern it would. Random Galaxy image that is only missing 3 howling wolves around it doesn’t fit anything to do with “Star of the north”. I’m honestly surprised the level of love this kit is getting. It’s just a lazy design. 

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

15 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

We will get more looks in a couple hours at the Atlanta reveal, but @adidasfootball posted this on Instagram. First look at the full kit. I was really hoping they’d use royal blue shorts. Hopefully there’s a second pair available.

spacer.png

I agree. Royal blue shorts would look better.

14 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

DC United new shirts in action

DC United's primary home look should have red shorts and white socks as the first option. It's an unique look that was theirs alone when they started in MLS. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

IDK, I think there's simply too many light blue shirts in the league right now. Particularly with Adidas's insistence on one single template and repeated design motifs, this feels like an unnecessary regression in terms of individualized designs for teams. Not every team needs to do a municipal flag kit, also, but if Atlanta must do so, I will also note that their flag is a medium-dark blue and a deep, mustardy gold.

mens-adidas-light-blue-atlanta-united-fc-2024-the-resurgens-kit-authentic-jersey_ss5_p-201101841+pv-1+u-egfhfupjwsjxtrqt6qwr+v-cxokv8dfowalxdwyx1bz.jpg?_hv=2&w=900mens-adidas-light-blue-colorado-rapids-2023-new-day-kit-authentic-jersey_pi5273000_altimages_ff_5273523-4f42f961d54f8f0bdf12alt1_full.jpg?_hv=2&w=900mens-adidas-sky-blue-new-york-city-fc-2024-the-interboro-kit-authentic-patch-jersey_ss5_p-201121398 pv-1 u-wgtyx0h7vrp6nnby6rdt v-oeonquzjle3njsdvgroz.jpg?_hv=2&w=900

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Digby said:

Not every team needs to do a municipal flag kit, also, but if Atlanta must do so, I will also note that their flag is a medium-dark blue and a deep, mustardy gold

It's 25 years since the Thrashers started play, so it's only right that Atlanta pay tribute to such a monumentous occasion by wearing a sky blue jersey with a bird on the front.

• Huh? 1