2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

34 minutes ago, sparkychewbarky said:

There's a beehive on their state flag.

The state insect is a Western Honey Bee.

Black, copper & blue bee stripes would be a great  design element.

You mentioned the Jazz...

Instead of Swarm what about the Buzz...

Jazz/Buzz.

What other locale has 2 pro franchises ending in "zz"?😀

I can't tell if this is facetious or not. 

• LOL 3

1 hour ago, sparkychewbarky said:

Jazz/Buzz.

I actually like this idea

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Colorado really needs to bring back the yeti foot logo.  So much better than the state flag C.  

I used to dream that eventually they would have a 3rd jersey with that logo on it. 

Maybe it's because I'm an Avalanche fan that doesn't live in Colorado. But the state flag C logo and C+mountain do nothing for me. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

I used to dream that eventually they would have a 3rd jersey with that logo on it. 

Maybe it's because I'm an Avalanche fan that doesn't live in Colorado. But the state flag C logo and C+mountain do nothing for me. 

Not to flag jack this thread but I love the Colorado flag to a point it is tattooed me and the Rockies BP/ST hats from years ago with the flag inside the mountain logo was top tier. Give me the flag on anything tbh.

• Like 2
  • Huh? 1
  • Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, sparkychewbarky said:

Jazz/Buzz.

Totally off to the side, but I'm curious as to how many people know the real story as to how Utah got it's "Beehive State" nickname in the first place...

(Hint: it had nothing to do with actual bees--at least not directly...)

• Like 2

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

3 hours ago, tBBP said:

Totally off to the side, but I'm curious as to how many people know the real story as to how Utah got it's "Beehive State" nickname in the first place...

(Hint: it had nothing to do with actual bees--at least not directly...)

The answer always points back to the Mormons.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

With the Utah team name voting slowing down after a week (at most), you would think that each round of voting could be trimmed back to a week (at most) without losing a step, with a couple days to start up the next round. Even leaving a full week between each round (including Rounds 1 and 2), trimming 20 names to 8 names at Round 2 and going from there would yield a winner in mid-July, if my math is correct.  That means a team name would be in place well before training camp while keeping the fanbase engaged.

Basically, I'm not exactly sure what this foot-dragging on an official identity "well into the first season" thing is supposed to accomplish outside of manufacturing logistics (thanks Fanatics) or favoring certain names over others. Frankly, I find it (and the current radio silence from the team) baffling; you only get one chance to make a first impression, no matter the market.

19 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

Colorado really needs to bring back the yeti foot logo.  So much better than the state flag C.  

One of the best shoulder patch logo ever. Still baffled that they decided to change it to the boring C

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

10 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

With the Utah team name voting slowing down after a week (at most), you would think that each round of voting could be trimmed back to a week (at most) without losing a step, with a couple days to start up the next round. Even leaving a full week between each round (including Rounds 1 and 2), trimming 20 names to 8 names at Round 2 and going from there would yield a winner in mid-July, if my math is correct.  That means a team name would be in place well before training camp while keeping the fanbase engaged.

Basically, I'm not exactly sure what this foot-dragging on an official identity "well into the first season" thing is supposed to accomplish outside of manufacturing logistics (thanks Fanatics) or favoring certain names over others. Frankly, I find it (and the current radio silence from the team) baffling; you only get one chance to make a first impression, no matter the market.

I think Smith might still be shell shocked from the previous Jazz rebrand and is nervous about rushing out a design that people hate. I think having a name in place for the first season will at least give the fans something to attach themselves to. I do hope they put a little thought into the temporary uniforms instead of just trotting them out there in black & white practice jerseys with a basic block "UTAH" across the chest

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

It kind of reads on the team's website that we won't get the next round until later in the summer? If that's the case, a part of me wonder if the team will present some logos and color options for a Top 8 or 4 names?

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, kolob said:

It kind of reads on the team's website that we won't get the next round until later in the summer? If that's the case, a part of me wonder if the team will present some logos and color options for a Top 8 or 4 names?

I wish, but I'm not holding my breath. Of course, I wonder if "later in the summer" could be read as "after the Stanley Cup Final--and hence the playoffs--concludes." If that's the case, I can get the logic behind that. From what I read, Thrashers-to-Winnipeg was announced on 31 May 2011, with the BoG not formally approving it until 21 June. Hopefully, this lack of news is not to potentially overshadow the playoffs; I just feel that the name vote (and picking the team colors) can be sped up a tad.

2 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

I think Smith might still be shell shocked from the previous Jazz rebrand and is nervous about rushing out a design that people hate. I think having a name in place for the first season will at least give the fans something to attach themselves to. I do hope they put a little thought into the temporary uniforms instead of just trotting them out there in black & white practice jerseys with a basic block "UTAH" across the chest

I can see that as part of his logic and why he might want to do avoid rushing into a bad design. Conversely, however, if Ryan Smith drags this out too long, a bland, basic design everyone hates is what will be the result anyways. Unless the attempted galaxy-braining of "no design is the best design" that the Jazz went through is precisely what he wants, thus rendering his talk of adding Purple and/or Sky Blue hollow.

Edited by DustDevil61
Hollow Purple/Sky Blue talk

On 5/23/2024 at 2:22 PM, tBBP said:

Symbol of collective industry, back when the Mormons were communitarians and not just a religion of alienated accountants and insurance salesmen.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 5/23/2024 at 10:02 AM, CreamSoda said:

Call me crazy, but the Avalanche and the Blue Jackets should go with separate shoulder patches on each shoulder. The Yeti foot and C logo are both good, as are both the cannon logo and the hat logo.

• Like 5

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

9 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

Call me crazy, but the Avalanche and the Blue Jackets should go with separate shoulder patches on each shoulder. The Yeti foot and C logo are both good, as are both the cannon logo and the hat logo.

Stinger and the CBJ logo.

FTFY

• Like 3
  • Dislike 2
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I won’t lie, I had no idea the Avs shoulder patch logo was a yeti foot until recently. I always thought it was a foot from the victim of an avalanche. 

Yeti foot makes waaaay more sense though.

• LOL 2

I really liked Seattle's diverse & interesting team-name short-list, back when that franchise was exploring an identity.

I would have been happy with more than a few of those contenders being the chosen one...

I can't say that I share the same enthusiasm for Utah's "Final 20".

At least the "Kraken" surfaced with a big Davey Jones treasure chest full of great nautical references for future marketing.

IF the league's ready for another legendary-creature identity, I'm not sure that the "Yeti" & "Mammoth" bring much more to the table other than a reason to go with unique-to-the-NHL brown unis.

Neighbouring Colorado seems to own the mountain theme, with its "Avalanche" & "Rockies"...

(Although Utah is home to the Wah Wah Mountain Range (the Utah "Wah Wahs"? 😁)).

"Blizzard" & "Glaciers" just seem a little too generic.

"Black Diamonds" sounds cool, but why the heck would you run with a phrase that's more associated with another sport?

As a nod to the Beehive State, the short, sharp "Bees/Beez" moniker is a better choice IMO, than the clunky "Swarm"; but THAT option is the property of the AAA Salt Lake City ball team which BTW, existed as the "Buzz" & the "Stingers" before settling on the "Bees".

"Outlaws" could be interesting as a Wild West theme, & Utah is considered to be a Wild West state...Right, Butch?

"Bees" is a homophone of "B's," so that's out. The swarm is that minor-league defensive scheme that always gets lit up when they try it at the NHL level, so I'd avoid that too.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

8 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

"Bees" is a homophone of "B's," so that's out. The swarm is that minor-league defensive scheme that always gets lit up when they try it at the NHL level, so I'd avoid that too.

But, what if they...

"Swarm the crease, like Bumble Bees"?

(Actually, it's "Storm the crease...". Was just having a bit of fun with Stompin' Tom's lyrics. Sacrilegious, I know).

And, "Let's Go Swarm" is a bit of a tongue-twister, especially after a few pints.

Right now, from the list, I'd have to give the nod to the Outlaws...