2024 NFL Offseason

Dynasty

The Bears talked themselves out of hiring Jim Harbaugh because they're still deathly afraid of the head coach being anything but a polite gentleman. Tell me again how Kevin Warren was going to change everything because he has a law degree.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Jim Harbaugh will probably say this about Justin Herbert: "Obviously he's one of the reasons I took this job, and I want him in the MVP conversation every year that I am here."  Not exactly those words, but something like that.  

We've seen coaches hired where they inherit the QB and usually they praise the QB they inherit to the heavens.  I remember Kevin O'Connell's first press conference with the Vikings and him praising Kurt Cousins.  Now Cousins does choke when it matters the most, but Cousins has provided stability at QB for the Vikings and we saw what the position was like without him and I will be shocked if Cousins doesn't remain with the Vikings.  When he came in, Doug Pederson praised Trevor Lawrence and believed that he can fix Trevor's problems from his rookie year.  I don't remember if Matt Eberflus praised Justin Fields in his very first press conference.  I would suspect that Brian Callahan will say positive things about Will Levis.  

6 hours ago, GDAWG said:

stability at QB for the Vikings

What good is stability if that stability is barely above a mediocre level?  Either you want to try to win  or you don't.  If you do, then you don't want a Kirk Cousins.  

If you're cool with finishing with 9, 10, and occasionally 11 wins, but neve being a real threat, then sure.  But I'm not sure why any franchise would strive for that.  And before some dope says "some teams would kill for that" that's a dopy thing that only dopes say, because after the first 10 win season gives people hope, eventually they'll realize that they're at the ceiling.  It's not good enough.  I don't care if you've been 0-17 for 10 season, the goal should be to win the SB (knowing that it's not going to happen within one or maybe two seasons of change). 

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

If you're cool with finishing with 9, 10, and occasionally 11 wins, but neve being a real threat, then sure.  But I'm not sure why any franchise would strive for that.  And before some dope says "some teams would kill for that" that's a dopy thing that only dopes say

Nope, NFL playoff berths are lottery tickets, get as many as you can. This isn't 46-36 NBA purgatory we're talking about. The Steelers and Packers are always better off getting in and seeing what happens than not getting in and not seeing what happens.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 hours ago, BBTV said:

What good is stability if that stability is barely above a mediocre level?  Either you want to try to win  or you don't.  If you do, then you don't want a Kirk Cousins.  

If you're cool with finishing with 9, 10, and occasionally 11 wins, but neve being a real threat, then sure.  But I'm not sure why any franchise would strive for that.  And before some dope says "some teams would kill for that" that's a dopy thing that only dopes say, because after the first 10 win season gives people hope, eventually they'll realize that they're at the ceiling.  It's not good enough.  I don't care if you've been 0-17 for 10 season, the goal should be to win the SB (knowing that it's not going to happen within one or maybe two seasons of change). 

Who is out there that is a significant upgrade over Cousins that they would dump in an instant?  I don't know if they will be able to get Caleb Williams, Drake Maye or Jayden Daniels.

11 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

The Bears talked themselves out of hiring Jim Harbaugh because they're still deathly afraid of the head coach being anything but a polite gentleman. Tell me again how Kevin Warren was going to change everything because he has a law degree.

If the league decides he has to sit because the NCAA hits him with sanctions, then what is he bringing to the team other than drama? Not saying it's guaranteed to occur, but if Warren was told there's a pretty good chance that Michigan, and Harbaugh, are getting hammered there's no reason to bring him in. 

1 hour ago, The_Admiral said:

Nope, NFL playoff berths are lottery tickets, get as many as you can. This isn't 46-36 NBA purgatory we're talking about. The Steelers and Packers are always better off getting in and seeing what happens than not getting in and not seeing what happens.

Getting better players in, is more important than losing the wildcard every other year.

3 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

The Vikings are not going to replace Kirk Cousins unless there is someone out there who's a significant upgrade and I don't know who that would be that isn't under contract right now and its unlikely that they would mortgage the farm to move into the top 5 as Caleb Williams, Drake Maye and Jayden Daniels will probably go Top 5.  Not sure that Bo Nix, JJ McCarthy or Michael Penix are upgrades over Cousins.  

Who is out there that is a significant upgrade over Cousins?  That is why I think the Vikings re-sign him.  

Other than possibly bringing in Flacco for a short term carryover, I don't see anyone that helps the Vikings out. Mayfield possibly, but I'd expect Tampa Bay to lock him in for at least 3 years. By the time they draft who will be available that can step in immediately? J.J. McCarthy should be available, but I can't see him being a day one starter on the Vikings. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Just now, MJWalker45 said:

If the league decides he has to sit because the NCAA hits him with sanctions, then what is he bringing to the team other than drama? Not saying it's guaranteed to occur, but if Warren was told there's a pretty good chance that Michigan, and Harbaugh, are getting hammered there's no reason to bring him in. 

Getting better players in, is more important than losing the wildcard every other year.

Other than possibly bringing in Flacco for a short term carryover, I don't see anyone that helps the Vikings out. By the time they draft who will be available that can step in immediately? 

I think the Browns re-sign Flacco just in case something happens to the $250 million man again.  Is Cousins a top 10 QB?  He is not, but unless there's a significant upgrade out there, they are going to bring him back.  

1 minute ago, GDAWG said:

I think the Browns re-sign Flacco just in case something happens to the $250 million man again.  Is Cousins a top 10 QB?  He is not, but unless there's a significant upgrade out there, they are going to bring him back.  

I hope that Cleveland does this, but I also think they can't afford to pay him for a whole season unless there's a massive restructure deal on Watson's salary as well. It's also likely that they try to bring back Jacoby Brissett if they can't get that done. 

Just now, GDAWG said:

Tepper gets a head coach who won't speak up against his meddling:

2 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Hail to the Panthers, I suppose. Fitting considering Tepper has succeeded Dan Snyder as the worst owner in the NFL. 

Even Snyder didn't throw a fit at the fans, but both of those guys have proven that money doesn't buy business sense.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 hours ago, GDAWG said:

5 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I hope that Cleveland does this, but I also think they can't afford to pay him for a whole season unless there's a massive restructure deal on Watson's salary as well. It's also likely that they try to bring back Jacoby Brissett if they can't get that done. 

So...where is/what happens/what happened to Dorian Thompson-Robinson in all of this? I know he was a rookie this season, but from what I remember of what little I saw of him he looked pretty decent.

50 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Good for Mo-Mo! Glad he's getting a second chance at this. Coincidentally, he'll be going back up against his former team twice per season and at any rate within his old-soon-to-become-new again division. I'm sure he's matured a lot since his last HC stint.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

10 hours ago, BBTV said:

Having a pretty good QB with a really good team around him is still a valid strategy to win the Super Bowl. Sure, it's better to have one of the greatest players of all-time at QB, but you could draft #1 overall multiple years in a row and it's still not guaranteed.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, tBBP said:

So...where is/what happens/what happened to Dorian Thompson-Robinson in all of this? I know he was a rookie this season, but from what I remember of what little I saw of him he looked pretty decent.

Third string, probably. PJ is gone. Any other option is probably gone. If you can get Flacco to be backup, great. He's #2.  DTR still has some issues to address, but I also thought he would've done better if not thrown to the wolves the way he was. Stefanski's biggest knock is that he is 'too smart for his own good'. He never goes with the obvious call, and instead will throw a 20 yard pass play out there on a 3rd and 1. Winning a close game? Let's stop running the ball and instead have the QB throw three straight plays.

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

Good for Mo-Mo! Glad he's getting a second chance at this. Coincidentally, he'll be going back up against his former team twice per season and at any rate within his old-soon-to-become-new again division. I'm sure he's matured a lot since his last HC stint.

DTR is not going anywhere, but I think realistically he'll need more seasoning. PJ Walker probably won't be back. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

8 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Who is out there that is a significant upgrade over Cousins that they would dump in an instant?  I don't know if they will be able to get Caleb Williams, Drake Maye or Jayden Daniels.

it’s irrelevant. Why pay a guy when you know the ceiling for both him and your team?  You’re literally committing yourself to a certain level rather than prepping to get a true franchise guy.

in the NFL, good is the enemy of great, which is the enemy of elite. 

Plus Cousins is a complete wack job. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

People advocating for Kirk Cousins absolutely blows my mind into itty bitty bloody pieces. 

Anyway, Nick Sirianni is back, and as expected, bent over for Howie. Brian Johnson was fired (as I’ve been advocating for since week 5) and they don’t care what Hurts thinks about it. 

Fangio hired for DC, which I don’t like, but whatever. Kingsbury :puke:, reich, and someone who I can’t  remember are in the mix for OC.  They wisely don’t want a guy that’s going to bolt for a HC job. 

Off topic - I’m sitting next to a tinder date, and this bro is explaining to a young-beautiful woman who clearly doesn’t care about sports, why the Sixers should trade for Halliburton, and explaining the Ben Simmons saga, and talking about how he did jiu jitsu but his adhd got in the way and mirrors freak him out so he doesn’t have any in his house, and I’m 99% sure she’s going to end her life within 5 minutes. Just thought I’d share. Back to your regularly-scheduled programming. 

She’s like “do you like Mitski?” And he’s like “no I did jiu jitsu” 😢