2024 NFL Changes

22 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

Baltimore's black jersey is awesome, and I'd rather see that 3x a year than remove dates for the Color Rush. The black 3x means it can be worn once each with the black, white, and purple pants for three distinct looks that I like equally.

From my perspective here in the Baltimore area, the black jerseys are well-liked for an alternate and you see them worn by fans almost as much as the regular home purples and road whites. Unless it's a throwback, I don't believe alternate jerseys should be the same color as a team's existing primary jerseys because then it kind of defeats the purpose of being an "alternate." Also, the black jerseys remind me of some of the most anticipated primetime matchups back in the late 2000's and early 2010's when they played against the Steelers and Patriots.

• Like 4

Just gotta say it again - I hope the Ravens never change their primary set. This is a cool alternate though, once a year. 

Not a huge fan of the front-facing logo though. It's always looked kinda goofy to me. Create-A-Team vibes.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

19 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The pants determine if you’ll buy a jersey or a helmet? 

The "Take my money" was a statement to put over the team's new look. I was giving the alt uniforms a push on how they executed this, and it made the alt uniforms look VERY, VERY sexy. The new bird head logo, the purple helmets to match the purple jerseys with the gold numbers, etc.

• Like 2

On 6/18/2024 at 6:31 PM, fouhy12 said:

I'm just not feeling the new Ravens helmet. It definitely isn't bad, but it also doesn't improve anything for me. It seems like an alternate for an alternate's sake.

Baltimore's black jersey is awesome, and I'd rather see that 3x a year than remove dates for the Color Rush. The black 3x means it can be worn once each with the black, white, and purple pants for three distinct looks that I like equally.

This is one time where an alternate helps. One thing I didn’t like about Color Rush was how the helmets looked out of place when the shell was a different color from the rest of the uniform, and this helps with the Ravens.

On a different topic, is anyone else having issues logging into this forum from a laptop? Every time I try I get a bad request message.

• Like 1

If the Ravens have to  keep their Color Rush (which, to be clear, they don't), then the purple helmet is a definite improvement, as it matches with the gold-heavy jersey infinitely better.

I prefer the Ravens being more primarily purple and black (not because of any supposed similarity to the Vikings, I just think the scheme fits them and their mascot better), but I suppose this works as a one-time thing.

I do like this forward-facing secondary logo much more than the primary, I wish the primary logo had more in common stylistically with it.

As an aside, I think part of why this reveal has been generally well-received is how great the photos look. Something about the images make the helmet and its accompanying jersey look so good. So shout out to the creative team in Baltimore for that.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, MJD7 said:

As an aside, I think part of why this reveal has been generally well-received is how great the photos look. Something about the images make the helmet and its accompanying jersey look so good. So shout out to the creative team in Baltimore for that.

The lighting does absolute wonders for this look. I thought the helmet looked pretty good when I first saw it (I hate mono, though, so wouldn't call the overall look good), but I bet it looks disappointing on the field as opposed to a hype video in a dark room, much like the Browns' all-white did last season.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, HopewellJones said:

Just gotta say it again - I hope the Ravens never change their primary set. This is a cool alternate though, once a year. 

Not a huge fan of the front-facing logo though. It's always looked kinda goofy to me. Create-A-Team vibes.

It does look like a generic logo from a Create a Team mode on Madden. It doesn't work for me.

• Like 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Kg54mvp said:

It does look like a generic logo from a Create a Team mode on Madden. It doesn't work for me.

Someone said it looked like Mel Kiper earlier and now I can't unsee it 😂

That's gold, Jerry!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MJD7 said:

If the Ravens have to  keep their Color Rush (which, to be clear, they don't), then the purple helmet is a definite improvement, as it matches with the gold-heavy jersey infinitely better.

I prefer the Ravens being more primarily purple and black (not because of any supposed similarity to the Vikings, I just think the scheme fits them and their mascot better), but I suppose this works as a one-time thing.

I do like this forward-facing secondary logo much more than the primary, I wish the primary logo had more in common stylistically with it.

The shiny, very metallic finish on the gold elements probably helps too. We’ve become conditioned to accept flat khaki as “gold”, so when we see a bold, rich, metallic shade of gold, it’s like, “oh, yeah, forgot that was a thing!”

• Like 2

17 hours ago, HopewellJones said:

Respectfully disagree.  Baltimore's uniforms have aged.  It's a dated look, primarily due to the font and helmet stripe.

They don't need wholesale changes.  They could change 3 things and be fine:  the aforementioned helmet stripe & number font,  plus the helmet finish.  

It never helps that they wear the worst combinations most of the time; getting rid of the black jersey and pants would go a long way towards a final fix.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Dynasty said:

From my perspective here in the Baltimore area, the black jerseys are well-liked for an alternate and you see them worn by fans almost as much as the regular home purples and road whites. Unless it's a throwback, I don't believe alternate jerseys should be the same color as a team's existing primary jerseys because then it kind of defeats the purpose of being an "alternate." Also, the black jerseys remind me of some of the most anticipated primetime matchups back in the late 2000's and early 2010's when they played against the Steelers and Patriots.

As a fellow local, I agree with this assessment.  That said, as much as most people like the black jerseys, I get the sense that most people prefer them to be an alt with the purple remaining the primary.

Also, I get the sense that very few Ravens fans want significant changes to the uniforms.  I see occasional criticism of the number font from "outsiders".  However, my personal opinion is that the font is an established and well liked part of the identity and I believe that is the majority opinion among Ravens fans.

• Like 4

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

16 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

Respectfully disagree.  Baltimore's uniforms have aged.  It's a dated look, primarily due to the font and helmet stripe.

They don't need wholesale changes.  They could change 3 things and be fine:  the aforementioned helmet stripe & number font,  plus the helmet finish.  

It never helps that they wear the worst combinations most of the time; getting rid of the black jersey and pants would go a long way towards a final fix.

I'm not a fan of wacky helmet stripes, but these make sense for the Ravens in that they mimic the feathers and coloring of the bird itself.

I agree with a lot of the rest of that.

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

20 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

This is where I am with the Ravens uniform almost exactly. (I actually don’t have a problem with the helmet finish and generally don’t unless it’s something egregious like chrome.).  The number font and helmet stripes were dated twenty years ago IMO, and whoever picks their game combinations needs to be beaten with a garden hose. There may be no worse single uniform combination in the NFL than when the Ravens wear white jerseys with black pants and socks. Unless you count the Jags doing the same because it’s basically identical.  It looks ridiculous.  

The stripe-less black pants are terrible in all applications and the black jerseys are just alternates, which is to say useless and unnecessary.  As for the equally unnecessary alt helmet… it’s going to look stupid on the field because it’s going to be worn with a monochrome purple costume making the players look like morons. Those otherwise hideous gold pants would actually improve the overall look.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

There may be no worse single uniform combination in the NFL than when the Ravens wear white jerseys with black pants and socks. Unless you count the Jags doing the same because it’s basically identical.  It looks ridiculous.  

At least the Ravens have purple numbers when they use this look. The Jaguars don't really have any visible teal.

• Like 1

I hope the ravens never change their primary unis, I don't like their black pants or mono looks but considering what Nike could do to them it could be a case of "be careful what you wish for"

• Like 6

spacer.png

On 6/19/2024 at 10:24 AM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Richard wasn't at Hattin.

If he had been, his opinion on athletic gold wouldn't have mattered because he'd have been quite dead.

My bad. Here's a pic of Dick Lionheart at Arsuf in 1191 though...wearing 'chivalric gold.' 😅

spacer.png

2 hours ago, HOOVER said:

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

This is where I am with the Ravens uniform almost exactly. (I actually don’t have a problem with the helmet finish and generally don’t unless it’s something egregious like chrome.).  The number font and helmet stripes were dated twenty years ago IMO, and whoever picks their game combinations needs to be beaten with a garden hose. There may be no worse single uniform combination in the NFL than when the Ravens wear white jerseys with black pants and socks. Unless you count the Jags doing the same because it’s basically identical.  It looks ridiculous.  

The stripe-less black pants are terrible in all applications and the black jerseys are just alternates, which is to say useless and unnecessary.  As for the equally unnecessary alt helmet… it’s going to look stupid on the field because it’s going to be worn with a monochrome purple costume making the players look like morons. Those otherwise hideous gold pants would actually improve the overall look.  

Well first, I think we all agree on the Ravens' stripeless black pants. Even replicating the helmet stripes on the black pants, if they felt the need to keep black pants, woul help immensely. (So too would replicating the braisher from the purple pants, except making it purple/white/purple/.)

To the number font, though, I'm gonna go the other way on this—thus maintaining my long-held stance—and say that aside from possibly removing the large dropshadow, I see absolutely nothing wrong with the Ravens' number font, and am STILL waiting for someone somewhere to descriptively explain exactly what about that font makes it "dated". (And no, "they're not classic block" will not suffice here. Neither will "just because they're round".) And if its a font update some want, I say be careful what you wish for. See Broncos, Denver; Texans, Houston; and Falcons, Atlanta for examples of how that wish could go horribly wrong.

• Like 9

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

2 minutes ago, tBBP said:

To the number font, though, I'm gonna go the other way on this—thus maintaining my long-held stance—and say that aside from possibly removing the large dropshadow, I see absolutely nothing wrong with the Ravens' number font, and am STILL waiting for someone somewhere to descriptively explain exactly what about that font makes it "dated". (And no, "they're not classic block" will not suffice here. Neither will "just because they're round".) And if its a font update some want, I say be careful what you wish for. See Broncos, Denver; Texans, Houston; and Falcons, Atlanta for examples of how that wish could go horribly wrong.

But it's the same as the Brewers old font is all I got.

I'm not disagreeing with you, by the way.

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

1 minute ago, tBBP said:

Seconded.  The only explanation most people have for why they're "dated" is that they've been around for 27 years and were introduced in the 90s.

• Like 2

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃