2024 NFL Changes

1 hour ago, dont care said:

Outside of the jets who has changed to a throwback look full time in the past handful of years to call it a wave?

I guess he thinks the Buffalo Bills also did that (their current look is a homage to their 1975-1983 look) but was a modern version of their 1975-1983 look. The 49ers just switched back because Mrs. DeBartlo's son, John, did not like the 1996-2008 uniforms. I do not know why he called it a wave.

Outside of the jets who has changed to a throwback look full time in the past handful of years to call it a wave?

Browns, Buccaneers..

two sets of Giants alts, 49ers alts, Dolphins alts

• Like 5

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

8 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Browns, Buccaneers..

On the Buccaneers, not really. They are just in their 1997-2012 uniforms. If they went far back to their old look, they would have modernized the 1976-1991; 1992-1996 look (I separated this because of the orange pants addition in 1992).

Giants ruined their white uniforms with the accent color being the main focus instead of some blue, so I can't say that the Giants 1956-1965 look is consistent since the 2010's many changes over the years tried to eliminate the grey pants from their selections.

5 minutes ago, Silver_Star said:

On the Buccaneers, not really. They are just in their 1997-2012 uniforms. 

That would be a throwback by definition

• Like 5

9 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Browns, Buccaneers..

Alts and uniforms corrections to mistakes that lasted the minimum 5 years. Still nothing I’d call a “wave”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

That would be a throwback by definition

Somewhat, but not really. Not when they have their 1976-1996 creamsicles which are Throwbacks. The 1997-2013 was barely new. The ugly 2014-2019 abomination only lasted 5 years. and then went back to the 1997-2013 look with additions like a darker pewter and a new pewter alt (probably replace with the 1976-1996 home uniforms).

37 minutes ago, Silver_Star said:

Somewhat, but not really. Not when they have their 1976-1996 creamsicles which are Throwbacks. The 1997-2013 was barely new. The ugly 2014-2019 abomination only lasted 5 years. and then went back to the 1997-2013 look with additions like a darker pewter and a new pewter alt (probably replace with the 1976-1996 home uniforms).

Yep they wore the 2014-2019 set and then in 2020 decided to throw it back to the 1997-2013 set but with updated logos. 

• Like 1

Alts and uniforms corrections to mistakes that lasted the minimum 5 years. Still nothing I’d call a “wave”

It's a return to traditional looks.  That's his point.

The Bucs, Jets, and Browns have all returned to traditional looks.

The Cardinals and Lions both returned to a much more traditional looks than what they were wearing.

The Bucs, Dolphins, Eagles, 49ers, Giants, Saints, Steelers, Seahawks and Titans have all rolled out throwbacks over the last few years that have been incredibly popular with their fans.  This year, the Broncos and Jaguars joined them.

That's roughly half the league.  Of the remaining half, the Bears, Bengals, Bills, Chargers, Chiefs, Colts, Cowboys, 49ers, Giants, Packers, Raiders, Saints, and Steelers are all wearing pretty much what they've always worn or a close variation.

Only a handful of teams still wear "modern" looks:  the Broncos, Commanders, Dolphins, Falcons, Jaguars, Seahawks, Texans, Titans and arguably the Vikings.  The Eagles, Panthers and Ravens are wearing dated 90's looks.  So, about a 1/3 of the league or less is still on the "modern" trend.

So yeah, I'd say things have moved back to traditional looks.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, HOOVER said:

Only a handful of teams still wear "modern" looks:  the Broncos, Commanders, Dolphins, Falcons, Jaguars, Seahawks, Texans, Titans and arguably the Vikings.  The Eagles, Panthers and Ravens are wearing dated 90's looks.  So, about a 1/3 of the league or less is still on the "modern" trend.

Of these, I'd guess the Jaguars are next to reinstate their old throwbacks from the Brunell era, albeit with the jersey and pants options they currently use. I also predict the Texans will go back to their unis in 5 years, and the Falcons do so sooner than that. The Titans SHOULD go back to their old unis but I fear they won't.

Oh, and the 'Ders will be changing once a new team and logo is picked in Washington.

5 hours ago, HOOVER said:

The Cardinals and Lions both returned to a much more traditional looks than what they were wearing.

The Bucs, Dolphins, Eagles, 49ers, Giants, Saints, Steelers, Seahawks and Titans have all rolled out throwbacks over the last few years that have been incredibly popular with their fans.  This year, the Broncos and Jaguars joined them.

That's roughly half the league.  Of the remaining half, the Bears, Bengals, Bills, Chargers, Chiefs, Colts, Cowboys, 49ers, Giants, Packers, Raiders, Saints, and Steelers are all wearing pretty much what they've always worn or a close variation.

Yeah, but...

The Lions and Cardinals aren't wearing traditional looks. They're wearing modern looks that are less out there than their previous uniforms. Don't conflate the two. Just because the Seahawks, for example, have a traditional look in their closet doesn't lump them in the traditional category.

• Like 2
  • Yawn 1

It's where I sit.

6 hours ago, Silver_Star said:

If it was worn in the past, it's a throwback....

• Like 4

8 hours ago, HOOVER said:

Vikings brought back their 60s uniforms as alt last year as well. You can add them to your list on line 4.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ruttep said:

This is one of the best uniform matchups in the league when both teams wear proper socks.

spacer.png

The problem is that both those teams often have sock inconsistency from one player to another. 

…which, by the way, is a fascinating topic by itself. Why is it that when you’re watching, for example, an AFC North team, or the Chiefs, or the Giants, or the Falcons, or the Cardinals, or the Seahawks, you know that you won’t have half the team wearing team-color socks and the other half white, but if you watch the 49ers, Packers, Cowboys, Chargers, or Buccaneers it’s a virtual certainty that the socks won’t match across the whole team?

9 hours ago, ruttep said:

This is one of the best uniform matchups in the league when both teams wear proper socks.

spacer.png

Under natural lighting... it is.  That lighting isn't bad for indoors / night, but sucks that we'll never get that matchup under sunlight.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

Under natural lighting... it is.  That lighting isn't bad for indoors / night, but sucks that we'll never get that matchup under sunlight.

One of the reasons I like teams wearing their white jerseys at home is because of this. We get to see a team who plays indoor how their dark jersey looks outdoors. The Lions' Honolulu blue looks great in the sunshine and in an open air facility.

• Like 1

Lions blue looks more consistent in the Ford Field dome lighting. Inject those standard block numbers into my veins. I'm so glad they brought white back into the pallet. I like the concept of strictly blue/silver with the last set, but the execution was off. The silver numbers with dark gray outlines was just too much.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Best look they've shown so far, by a mile...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Wear those pants and socks, home and road.

Watching on YouTubeTV, their Honolulu blue looks darker than these images.  Their facemasks and helmet decals also seem to match the jerseys perfectly; did they update to fix?