2024 NFL Changes

12 hours ago, Cujo said:

Tell us you were born in the 2000s without telling us you were born in the 2000s

4 hours ago, Silver_Star said:

Go back and watch the YouTube videos of the original Houston Oilers. Go to Austin, Texas and look for Ron Olivera. He was and probably still is a Houston football diehard fan. He will tell you, Luv Ya Blue has always been a 1970's thing in Houston, Texas when the Oilers was actually getting better when Bum Phillips brought in better players.

That blue has always been the theme for Houston sports teams. The Rockets use it in the navy blue and red in 1996 when they had Barkley on the team, etc.

So son, before you ask this question, go look up Houston Oilers in the years of 1975-1993 and you will see why the nickname is Houston lore!

4 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Not to pile on - but just to emphasize it's not only a CCSLC thing, check the inside collar. 

Tennessee Titans Nike Oilers Throwback Custom Game Jersey - Light Blue

3 hours ago, McCall said:

781aa751e994839d8d80dd17ec810008.jpg

And here I was just looking through @TruColor's website on what the Oilers shade of blue was called, I didn't think to just google "Luv Ya Blue." Sorry for the ignorance.

Spoiler

Also, I was born in the 1990's but my awareness of things didn't take hold until the 2000's. What can I say, I'm relatively young compared to most here. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dynasty said:

And here I was just looking through @TruColor's website on what the Oilers shade of blue was called, I didn't think to just google "Luv Ya Blue." Sorry for the ignorance.

Hide contents

Also, I was born in the 1990's but my awareness of things didn't take hold until the 2000's. What can I say, I'm relatively young compared to most here. 🤷‍♂️

Get off my lawn, you whippersnapper! (For the record, I was born in the ‘80s.)

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

2 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

I’d be totally okay with Houston using the light blue if the team and city didn’t have to :censored:ing whine about it so much in recent years.

I don’t know, the Titans bringing Oilers throwbacks back is one thing, but deliberately wearing them against the Texans last year was cold. I was glad Houston won that game.

(On the other hand, the Houston Cougars’ very clearly Oilers-inspired alternate is pretty indefensible though, legally speaking. They probably could’ve gotten away with using the color scheme, as the Texans maybe could have if they had acted sooner, but straight up copying the Oilers’ design feels kind of cheap.)

• Like 4

oN9cuQh.jpeg

If @raysox will kick the hornets nest with his Jets take, I will try to one-up him by going on record that the Denver throwbacks are actually bad. 

1) Inferior logo (cyber horse > D horse with a cold) 

2) None of the colors match

3) The robin's egg blue helmet has the same brightness value as the orange, creating a color hierarchy mess similar to the one that the Avs have, only on a much lighter scale.

If the Broncos wanted to implement the throwbacks full-time, they'd be better off going by a modern update and fixing those issues (like the Jets) instead of a true throwback with all its flaws.

3KI7rPS.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Dislike 3
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, GFB said:

oN9cuQh.jpeg

If @raysox will kick the hornets nest with his Jets take, I will try to one-up him by going on record that the Denver throwbacks are actually bad. 

3) The robin's egg blue helmet has the same brightness value as the orange, creating a color hierarchy mess similar to the one that the Avs have, only on a much lighter scale.

If the Broncos wanted to implement the throwbacks full-time, they'd be better off going by a modern update and fixing those issues (like the Jets) instead of a true throwback with all its flaws.

3KI7rPS.jpeg

Wow, I just came here to say the same thing. You perfectly identified problem with the colors, which I've never quite been able to put into words.

I'll also add that I hate the sleeve striping pattern. The thin orange between blue and white ruins it. At some point in team history they fixed this and it looked so much better.

I do, however, think the D/horse logo is worth saving, but needs updating.

PS - Raysox is dead on about the Jets. Props to both of you fellas for speaking the truth.

• Like 5
  • Dislike 2

5 hours ago, GFB said:

oN9cuQh.jpeg

3KI7rPS.jpeg

1.   Wrong.  Clean up the old logo but it’s better than the robo horse.  
2.  Who cares…. 
3. lol what.  You have very weird color hierarchy takes.  There is ZERO issue with this blue and orange combo.  

• Like 6
  • Dislike 4

7 hours ago, GFB said:

oN9cuQh.jpeg

3KI7rPS.jpeg

I'm sorry, but this is the best the Broncos have looked in 23 years. I simply don't understand how one can see these beauties, then go back to watching their team in dreary navy blue and think that's a good thing.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Eyeroll 2

On 10/6/2024 at 4:39 PM, CreamSoda said:

Denver looks absolutely fantastic.  That shade of blue and orange together is amazing.  

Really wish this was the full time look, it’s just such a classic Denver Bronco uniform.  

Have them tweaked and modernized. If they brought back the white jersey with orange pants, that would be good too. Those weren't around for that long, but they are nice.

14 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

“Spectacular. Give me 14 of em”

GZZDxCMWEAAmd4W?format=jpg&name=large

One of the best outdoor NFL uniforms of all time. Loses a bit of its luster indoors but still an awesome, classic set. 

11 hours ago, GFB said:

oN9cuQh.jpeg

3KI7rPS.jpeg

1. That’s honestly just a matter of taste. Both logos have their merits. I will admit the cyber-horse is cleaner though. 

2. and 3. The helmets are less “robin’s egg” than they were the first time around, for better or worse. The mismatched blues for me, though, were always one of those classic uniform quirks that managed to look pretty decent and even be endearing. I actually would like it if the blues were standardized - but with the “robin’s egg” blue instead of the royal blue. Also, I’m almost positive that the Elway-era set used a slightly darker orange than what we see here. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Forget the expansion Broncos: why did the original  wearers of these threads think they would make for a good look?

What do you mean "expansion" Broncos? There have only ever been one Denver Broncos and they weren't an expansion franchise, but rather a charter member of the AFL and the same team today that originally wore the brown and yellow uniforms above.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, McCall said:

What do you mean "expansion" Broncos? There have only ever been one Denver Broncos and they weren't an expansion franchise, but rather a charter member of the AFL and the same team today that originally wore the brown and yellow uniforms above.

I meant the inaugural Broncos, sorry. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GFB said:

oN9cuQh.jpeg

3KI7rPS.jpeg

Yes, I will agree. The Broncos 1968-1996 uniforms was part of my childhood, but I can see the mix up and I been pointing this out before. Remember what I said about the Rams and Giants helmets and University of Kansas helmets by the 1990's using the correct shade of blue?

Well, let me explain this here. This is why when I drew the NFL teams back when I was a teen, I would color the Broncos with a stale slate blue color while their uniforms, the trim I used was blue because that was when I saw on T.V.  Same with the Giants when I color their helmets navy blue just like the Rams while the rest was royal blue.

Also, I noticed the Browns pants are orange/brown/orange stripes and not have been fixed to fit the jersey stripes brown/orange/brown/orange/brown sequence.

Some uniforms were made tacky, and it seemed to match the history and some or others want to keep the history. I do have gripes about some (like the Cowboys, Browns, Panthers, etc.) But I can see your case on the Broncos throwbacks and to be fair, navy blue and azure/cerulean blue was the only choices for shell colors back then. If you have a Delorian, then you can see that and pay attention that the Giants and Rams had no choice but to choose navy blue, University of Kansas has a different helmet company that gave them their correct royal blue. So, for the Broncos, Rams, and Giants. it was tough back then to maintain their consistent look similar to the Vikings which is why usually blue teams would use either a helmet of their secondary colors (University of California-Berkely, and UCLA for example).