College Football - 2024

Rixaroo

12 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

A damn shame none of the pants have stripes.

Also… where are the socks!?

Many college teams don’t really wear long socks.

Wish Iowa State also had a yellow alt helmet.

The black and white set still looks like garbage.

West Virginia needs to go back to glossy helmets. 

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

20130831_pjc_ax4_098.0.jpg

ghows-TX-540170d9-3737-49a8-96a1-8a810de

iowa-state-football.jpg

It'll never get better than that.

• Like 16
  • Eyeroll 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Iowa State is an improvement IMO. The previous set didn't have any white on the home red jerseys, which looked weird with the white helmets and pants combo. This update corrects that issue by providing more color cohesion.

Ohio v Iowa State

Cardinal_Uniform.png

I think the shoulder stripes are my favorite addition. They really make the jersey pop, even more so on the away whites.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, nuordr said:

New uniforms for the Iowa State Cyclones: 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Looks good, but it doesn't really look like Iowa State to me, especially the home. In my mind they've always been red and yellow with white only being used when required, but here they're red and white with yellow reduced to tertiary. Plus the striping doesn't really fit them IMO. I'm not really sure how to describe it, it just feels off.

• Like 3

ExJworW.png

I agree with the above.

It's an upgrade, and I'll never complain about traditional striping in college football, but there is a certain Iowa State-ness this set is missing. Maybe it'll grow on me if they stick with it a while.

• Like 1

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

19 hours ago, nuordr said:

New uniforms for the Iowa State Cyclones: 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I don't think that every college has the iconic throwback look that they think they do, and this new set could be a prime example of that to me. I'm sure some Iowa State alums may disagree, but this set in general feels like a huge downgrade, like a high school catalog version of the old set which had a lot of interesting design features. The number font in particular is scrunched inward improperly and the emphasis on white striping on the home jerseys just feels wrong.

74209daa26d60268581ae5d7099b2b7a-900x900

This set with gold pants and maybe red and white options for the road only would be a pretty much perfect look for them. Put the Cyclone cardinal on the helmet and it's even better, but this new one takes steps backwards in almost every direction for the sake of harkening back to some nostalgia that feels unwarranted as an outsider.

13 hours ago, Dynasty said:

Iowa State is an improvement IMO. The previous set didn't have any white on the home red jerseys, which looked weird with the white helmets and pants combo. This update corrects that issue by providing more color cohesion.

Ohio v Iowa State

Cardinal_Uniform.png

I think the shoulder stripes are my favorite addition. They really make the jersey pop, even more so on the away whites.

My question would be why wear this combo at all? Are they eager to seperate themselves from USC by any means necessary, or is this some kind of classic ISU combo? It looks worse than pretty much any other option they would have at home if you asked me. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

spacer.png

14 hours ago, Dynasty said:

Cardinal_Uniform.png

The pants need stripes as well. I know there isn't anything on the helmets, but the pants should have stripes if the jerseys have them. The stripe pattern from the set previous to the one that's been replaced is all you need for the pants. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Yeah, these new Iowa State unis don't do it for me. It feels like it's trying too hard to make a throwback look. The previous set did a much better job matching their overall branding.

The set feel imbalanced – the cardinal jersey has a ton of white, while the cardinal helmet has no white at all. Plain pants suck. The whole set feels catalog.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, henburg said:

My question would be why wear this combo at all? Are they eager to seperate themselves from USC by any means necessary, or is this some kind of classic ISU combo? It looks worse than pretty much any other option they would have at home if you asked me. 

Well, they do have a history with white helmets and pants, so I wouldn't completely say what others have said in that it "doesn't look like ISU" but maybe that it doesn't look like the recent ISU that we have known. In fact, they also have a history with gold helmets and pants. Looking back at their uniform history, they've changed their look up quite a lot and haven't always been a USC copy. Here's some of their earliest...

Picture

Picture

3892212_orig.png

6947626_orig.png

5096965_orig.png

6379228_orig.png

4185777_orig.png

3351156_orig.png

They really have had a lot of different uniforms. I won't post every single one of their past uniforms to flood the page, but you can find the rest here: https://cycloneuniforms.weebly.com/

What is clear is that they have used the red and gold variations more so than the red and white. They very well may have re-introduced the white helmet and pants in an attempt to separate themselves from USC (the Trojans had their red/red/gold and red/white/gold uniform combos longer, as far back as 1967 I think). I don't have any info to prove that, but I assumed it was the intent. It could also be behind why they've changed so much, but again, I don't know.

• Like 5

Can someone remind these teams that games are played in the light??? For once I'd like to see a reveal video in the same conditions as the game will be played in...and it sure as heck won't be in no coal mine down Beckley nowhere...

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

I've long wanted Iowa State to build their permanent football identity around the throwbacks they wore in 2007.

senior-captains.jpg

242db6309690c524985dbb6aee97fa7d--sports

KtKvxjtmoFmBbNDMyUdmQQQ0OjxnZsDYJqjCf0Uz

4f09bc85eff7825194b3aca48031e53d.jpg

Fun fact: those uniforms (worn against Iowa in 2007) were a throwback to 30 years earlier when the Cyclones broke out special uniforms for the 1977 matchup vs Iowa. They featured "BEAT IOWA" lettering across the front of the jersey.

Screen_Shot_2018_06_30_at_11.26.10_AM.0.

636403998135317355-2017-09.08.17-1977-cy

1881713_orig.png

They then swapped out the lettering for ISU's Peach Bowl appearance and the look stuck around for 1978.

4752778_orig.png

The new identity they rolled out in 2008 was fantastic and no doubt influenced by the 1977 throwback game. I just wished they'd leaned into the yellow helmet full time. Anyway, everything has been a downgrade for ISU since 2008.

GMJXYPWFBHLNAKX.20080513180411.jpg&heigh

Another fun fact: that 2007 throwback game was hugely influencial in my journey to the CCSLC world and subsequent pursuit of a career in graphic design.

• Like 13

I believe I-State (ha!) could still add an alternate yellowgold helmet to that uniform set...they'd either have to change the yellow gold letters to red or put Cy on the sides, but either could work. I too would like to see them lean more into a yellowgold-helmeted look.

By the way, fun little fact: all three of Iowa's state-named programs—the Iowa Hawkeyes, the Iowa State Cyclones, and Northen Iowa Panthers—share the color yellow gold in common. How appropriate for a state known for, well...this??? (And I say this as a former short-term resident):

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Eyeroll 1

On 5/2/2024 at 8:10 PM, DCarp1231 said:

Well, WVU… you had me, then you lost me.

ueY7K8E.png

A little off but just a few years too early 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3
  • Eyeroll 1

AmPJ0Ty.png