Forum Contests

CC97

Alright here is how this will work:

If you want to start a contest, you must first email your idea to me at contests@nitroseed.net. I'll review it and if I think it's a good idea, then I'll approve it and let you know what day you can post it on. Don't post it before or after that day, or it will get locked and buried. I want to keep this fairly organized, so please be cooperative and stick to the schedule.

Only three contests will be allowed to run at one time. I will pin the three active contests at the top of the board to keep them from cluttering the rest of the board.

Each contest will be given a maximum of fourteen (14) days to be fully completed. That includes voting. Use those days however you like, but after those 14 days are up, your contest thread will be locked, whether it's complete or not.

I will allow one super contest (like Logolympiad, Survivor Series, whatever) to run at a time, and I'll evaluate those on a case-by-case basis. I'm not going to impose any time restrictions on these, as they can vary greatly depending on their nature.

Your contest has very little chance of being approved if it's not an original idea or at least a creative idea. We've had a million contests where the only objective is to redesign so-and-so's logo. Seriously, how many more do we need? I'd advise you to come up with a unique way of presenting your contest. Give us something we've never seen before. Make it meaningful. Don't just throw a contest out because you want part of the action.

I'm going to keep a tally of everyone who runs a contest. If your contest causes problems or you don't hold up your end of the bargain and see it through to its completion, then you get a warning. If it happens a second time, then you won't be allowed to hold any more contests. So, if you're going to run a contest, make sure ahead of time that you've got the time to run it. You are responsible for your own game, and if you can't be around to start voting or whatever, then delegate that responsibility to someone else.

And for you guys that have run the more popular contests in the past, like Iron Crossover and whatnot, when you get ready to start a new contest, shoot me an email with the idea just to let me know that you want to do it and I'll schedule a time for it. You probably won't have to worry about it being denied unless it's just a ridiculous idea.

So, that's about the gist of it. I am reserving the right to award or deny anyone a contest based on my own judgment.

Everyone cool with that?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a tad concerned that this could be a new source for controversy and conflict (the new C&C). I really hope people don't start fighting about why their contest wasn't approved, etc. I'm just glad I don't have to be the one to decide which contests are in and which are out.

Anyway, I honestly hope this new decision goes smoothly, however if it doesn't I'll suggest (like others before have) to have a separate forum just for contests.

On another note:

Personally, I like the dinky little contests. Sure, not all of them are very creative but they are a good catalyst for creativity. Lately I haven't had any good ideas for any new concepts, but I entered a Miami Hurricanes contest and made a logo. It definitely got the creative juices flowing. The nice thing about having a whole bunch of contests running at any one time is that you're bound to be interested in one of them.

Another disadvantage of having a limited number of contests is that they might become more official, and people will inevitably take them too seriously (look at all the fights and controversy that erupted during the logolympiad - definitely a product of people taking things too seriously). Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

You know what? I'm really happy that this is happening.

Wonderful decision by the mod team here. I'm proud that you put your foot down on the madness. Those rules seem very reasonable, and not only will there be less of them, each one will have a more special meaning. This is something that all aspiring graphic designers will benefit from, just like I did with the Logolympiad.

I have one concern though, and I must be honest. This seems like A LOT of work on Nitro's hands to be organizing this all by yourself, responding to dozens of e-mails per day. Going through each one and approving/disapproving each one. Organizing a schedule where three run at one time. And throughout all this making sure nobody breaks the rules. I don't know if any person let alone the amazing person you are can handle this, remain involved in the CCSLC and other online communities, and continue with your regular life.

This is in no way an attack on you Nitro, I'm only saying this cause I care. Seriously. I know you are much much more than capable of doing this, but I just want to make sure you aren't taking on too much. I also wanted to let you know that if you need help with this in any way, I would love to lend a hand.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

Everyone cool with that?

Yes, yes, and YES!

Absolutely! About time something is done to regulate contests around here.

What some more uh....."unestablished" users fail to understand is that in order for there to be freedom, you need order. "Freedom" does not mean "no rules". That would be pure, utter chaos.

There are reasons why there are rules, people. Not to hold you back, but to keep things orderly, therefore benefiting the community as a whole.

Wait.... we have contests on this board?

What board? :blink:

I give a grand Shabooyah to this development. Something had to be done. And now that it's done, it will be good.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Archived