Nationals Uniforms to be Unveiled

CC97

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess you can expect the official unveiling to be on Wednesday... exactly one week late.

The full story just moved on AP (as promised):

Washington leaders announce deal to save Expos move to DC

Eds: TOPS with agreement among politicians; Will be UPDATED

By BRETT ZONGKER

Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - District of Columbia leaders announced an agreement Monday night that they said would bring the deal to move the Montreal Expos to Washington back from the brink of collapse.

The District of Columbia Council was to move Tuesday on the measure, which was agreed to following negotiations among Mayor Anthony A. Williams, D.C. Council Chair Linda W. Cropp and baseball officials.

The compromise plan for the 41,000-seat ballpark along the Anacostia River, south of the Capitol, allows private financing and splitting the liability for cost overruns and missed construction deadlines evenly between the city and major league baseball, Williams spokesman Chris Bender said.

Williams' office will keep the council informed on all private funding proposals it receives. In return, Cropp agreed to drop a provision she inserted last week that would void the deal if the city couldn't find a private donor to pay at least half the construction costs.

Baseball officials were optimistic that the plan would meet their expectations. If a financing law is in place by Dec. 31 and baseball commissioner Bud Selig declares that arrangements are satisfactory to have the team play at RFK Stadium in 2005, the franchise would move to Washington and be renamed the Nationals.

"We remain hopeful that the council will pass legislation consistent with the stadium agreement so we can move forward with the Nationals in D.C.," said Bob DuPuy, baseball's chief operating officer, who negotiated by telephone from New York.

"I guess you can expect the official unveiling to be on Wednesday... exactly one week late."

I guess we can wait until January 4th or 5th because of the holidays.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

According to the National's website, there will be no official uniform unveiling like they were originally planning since the uniforms leaked. Instead, the uniforms will instead be on display tomorrow when the team store in the RFK parking lot reopens Wednesday morning.

On another note, has anyone been to the little trailer of a store, and if so, do they sell the official authentic fitted game hats there? I've been trying to find one with no luck since the merchandise became available.

New Era was going to start shipping the authentic caps last Wednesday in conjunction with the uniform unveiling. My guess is that they are probably shipping them out now and that they might get in stores just in time for Christmas.

I received both home and away authentic caps in the mail last week from MLB.com. I had ordered them the first day they went on sale a few weeks ago.

I'm still waiting. I finally got shipment notification this morning. I only ordered the road blue as I already have a 1969 Senators which is exactly the same as the home.

Not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread, but I don't like how the Nats put the old W on the caps and the W has nothing at all in common with the wordmark on the logo/jerseys. I guess its not that all uncommon in sports to have the hat/helmet/jersey (i.e. Jazz unis, eagle's winged helmets, etc...) not matching other logos/wordmarks, but in this case the un-similarity is just really off-putting. I think both are great on there own but not together. i actually much prefer the DC logo for the caps.

(Edit: I moved this response to here instead of the inaccuracies thread)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Archived