Nationals Uniforms to be Unveiled

CC97

BUT...

Memphis never supported the Oilers in 1997 at the Liberty Bowl. I rest my case.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bucfan56  Posted on Thursday, December 16th, 2004 - 03:31:31

QUOTE (The Mad Mac @ Thursday, December 16th, 2004 - 02:33:59)

QUOTE (AstroBull21 @ Thursday, December 16th, 2004 - 02:06:46)

hmmmm....east coast town, the only ones I can think of this late at night are Norfolk, Buffalo, Charlotte, and maybe Memphis (but that ones a stretch)

Raleigh'll get picked before Charlotte if it came down to it. Raleigh has a history of supporting minor league teams, while the Charlotte Knights allegedly can't draw flies, losing millions of dollars a year since the Panthers were born.

accually memphis would be a very good choice for a team, because as far as i know, memphis and sacramento are the only two cities that have minor league baseball parks that are designed to be "officially" expanded in case they ever got a major league park. and although other parks have the possibility to be expanded, these two were built specifically for this purpose,and both memphis and sacramento are big enough to support major sports franchises. look at the grizzlies and kings.

Well, if they can't be in D.C., Norfolk is the front-runner on the east coast. Their ownership group has been waiting this whole time to re-extend the offer to MLB if the Washington deal didn't work. Buffalo? Only if Buffalo had a retractable roof stadium with 30, 000 heaters in it laying around that no one is using at the moment. Charlotte? Possible, but again, I think you have to build a new stadium there. And, while I have no problem with Sacramento(even if it's not east coast)... I think it'll be a cold day in hell before MLB allows a sixth franchise in California.

So, after V.A., iMemphis is the best choice if they have that expandle park that bucsfan is talking about,.

Personally, I think if D.C. doesn't work out, the team will be in Virginia before anywhere else, including Las Vegas.

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

They wouldn't support the Oilers because they knew they were in town for two years max (it ended up being for one year, and then to Vanderbilt Stadium for year two) and then off to Nashville.

Raley Field in Sacramento is ready to go. It would take about a year and a half for the expansion to complete (also Sacramento has the money in the bank to do so), it depends if Selig wants to be a third team in Northern California.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

They wouldn't support the Oilers because they knew they were in town for two years max (it ended up being for one year, and then to Vanderbilt Stadium for year two) and then off to Nashville.

Raley Field in Sacramento is ready to go. It would take about a year and a half for the expansion to complete (also Sacramento has the money in the bank to do so), it depends if Selig wants to be a third team in Northern California.

if any team relocates to Sacto it would be the parent club of the triple A team that plays there, the A's

Well, if they can't be in D.C., Norfolk is the front-runner on the east coast. Their ownership group has been waiting this whole time to re-extend the offer to MLB if the Washington deal didn't work. Buffalo? Only if Buffalo had a retractable roof stadium with 30, 000 heaters in it laying around that no one is using at the moment. Charlotte? Possible, but again, I think you have to build a new stadium there. And, while I have no problem with Sacramento(even if it's not east coast)... I think it'll be a cold day in hell before MLB allows a sixth franchise in California.

So, after V.A., iMemphis is the best choice if they have that expandle park that bucsfan is talking about,.

Personally, I think if D.C. doesn't work out, the team will be in Virginia before anywhere else, including Las Vegas.

Buffalo does not need a retractable roof stadium. If Pittsburgh, Detroit, Cleveland and Chicago don't have one, why should Buffalo? Charlotte needs a new stadium, especially when you consider the Knights don't even play in North Carolina.

I'm not sure about Sacramento getting a team. I think it's still a growing city and I'm not sure what the whether is like there (although I've been to Davis) but if they can support a baseball team like the way they support the Kings then I don't see a problem putting a re-located team there.

I know where to put them: Boise, Idaho. Just let them play on a blue artificial surface. :D

I saw, I came, I left.

As a Twins fan, this is all very disappointing.

The best thing to do is leave them in Montreal for two years and contract them and the Twins after 06

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

"The best thing to do is leave them in Montreal for two years and contract them and the Twins after '06."

Whatever happened to the proposal of a new stadium for the Twins? I've stated in another thread that if any two teams need to be contracted after the CBA expires, it's the Marlins and Devil Rays.

"Hey, what about the 162-game roadie for these guys? Didn't the Montreal Royales of the now defunct Canadian Baseball League do that?"

Try the now-defunct Pennsylvania Road Warriors/Lehigh Valley Black Diamonds of the Atlantic League. Four straight years without a home.

It appears as if the Minnesota Legislature will approve 2 stadium deals, for the Twins and Gophers, not the Vikings though. So hopefully the Twins get that stadium, and there should be no need for contraction talk anymore, like there shouldnt have been in the first place.

Pioneer Press

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

hmmmm....east coast town, the only ones I can think of this late at night are Norfolk, Buffalo, Charlotte, and maybe Memphis (but that ones a stretch)

Raleigh'll get picked before Charlotte if it came down to it. Raleigh has a history of supporting minor league teams, while the Charlotte Knights allegedly can't draw flies, losing millions of dollars a year since the Panthers were born.

accually memphis would be a very good choice for a team, because as far as i know, memphis and sacramento are the only two cities that have minor league baseball parks that are designed to be "officially" expanded in case they ever got a major league park. and although other parks have the possibility to be expanded, these two were built specifically for this purpose,and both memphis and sacramento are big enough to support major sports franchises. look at the grizzlies and kings.

I believe the field in Buffalo is configured in the same way. Whether it would be up to MLB standards, however, is another story.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

It appears as if the Minnesota Legislature will approve 2 stadium deals, for the Twins and Gophers, not the Vikings though. So hopefully the Twins get that stadium, and there should be no need for contraction talk anymore, like there shouldnt have been in the first place.

Pioneer Press

WHile I applaud the Twin Cities for their (former?) stance against public funding and I would definately vote against it if I lived there, I admit that I hope they get a ballpark. I'd rather lose the Vikings than the Twins. (Because I think college football is superior to NFL).

So, hopefully this happens and it's good to see Minnesota support the colelge football team they have been ignoring for so long.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

MLB will move a team to Las Vegas. They only need 10,000 added seats to the 51's ball park. Plus in Vegas quick construction is not a problem when it comes to permits etc for business.

As for cities that they could move to they are getting limited. Norfolk and Las Vegas being the most attractive. Portland would be good only in the sense you could align much of the old PCL. Cities/States that surprise me are not considered as prime locations are Nashville, Memphis, San Antonio and or in New Jersey.

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

MLB will move a team to Las Vegas. They only need 10,000 added seats to the 51's ball park. Plus in Vegas quick construction is not a problem when it comes to permits etc for business.

As for cities that they could move to they are getting limited. Norfolk and Las Vegas being the most attractive. Portland would be good only in the sense you could align much of the old PCL.  Cities/States that surprise me are not considered as prime locations are Nashville, Memphis, San Antonio and or in New Jersey.

I think Vegas would be feasible. The heat must be manageable - the Las Vegas 51's manage to deal with it. There would probably also be less reason to worry there would be public funding since Nevada has no income tax anyway.

LT

Diamonbacks will not play in the AL, ever. It was a condition of their franchise agreement when the ownership group was granted the expansion franchise. Thye paid an extra 10 million or so for it.

Actually not entirely true - Colangelo got a proviso in the deal that said the DBacks wouldn't be realigned out of the NL West prior to 2001. Now today if it came down to it, particularly since Colangelo is on his way out and the new owners probably wouldn't object as much, it could happen.

Actually, that's not true either. There was a window during which MLB could have compelled the Diamondbacks to move to the AL. If memory serves, that window closed before the 2004 season. Now that MLB has no power to require the switch, for all intents and purposes its an impossibility, as Arizona considers itself an NL franchise w/ NL rivals. They'll never move voluntarily.

Uh, Amare? I have copies of the DBacks and DRays franchise agreements with MLB. I can quote the provision confirming the restriction until 2001 if you'd like...

You may be right about the restriction. And sure, I'd love to see the language. My point was not inconsistent w/ your own.

It's my understanding that the window that opened in 2001 then closed prior to the 2004 season. During that period of time, MLB could have mandated a Diamondbacks move to the AL. Now that the window is closed, Arizona cannot be moved to the AL without its consent.

Can't we all be friends? :D

I always wondered why New Orleans has never put in a bid for a team, or even mentioned as an option. Certainly the city is big enough to support a major league team, and while the Superdome is not an ideal baseball facility, it surely could work on a temporary basis at least as well as RFK Stadium.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Has anyone considered temporarily moving the team to a city/area that already has a team, but another stadium?

Examples:

Houston/Astrodome

Detroit/Silverdome

New Jersey/Giants Stadium

Denver/Mile High Stadium

St. Louis/Edward Jones Dome

Atlanta/Georgia Dome

I know this is very unlikely, but as long as we're throwin around ideas, why not?

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

BUT...

Memphis never supported the Oilers in 1997 at the Liberty Bowl. I rest my case.

I'll attest to that, I lived in Tupelo, MS., which wasn't that far from Memphis. We could've went to go see Steve McNair and them, but most everyone else declined. :P But Nashville is supoorting those guys, hardcore

Has anyone considered temporarily moving the team to a city/area that already has a team, but another stadium?

Examples:

Houston/Astrodome

Detroit/Silverdome

New Jersey/Giants Stadium

Denver/Mile High Stadium

St. Louis/Edward Jones Dome

Atlanta/Georgia Dome

I know this is very unlikely, but as long as we're throwin around ideas, why not?

I'm not sure that any of those stadiums with the exception of the Astrodome could be configured for adequate baseball dimensions.

Besides, I don't think any of the existing teams in those markets would want the distraction even if it is only for a year - unless of course MLB makes it worth the host's while - i.e. a serious cut of the gate for those games. I'd rather see the team barnstorm AAA markets for its home games.

Pioneer Press

I thought the plan was for the Vikings and Gophers to share a new stadium.

VmWIn6B.png

I always wondered why New Orleans has never put in a bid for a team, or even mentioned as an option. Certainly the city is big enough to support a major league team, and while the Superdome is not an ideal baseball facility, it surely could work on a temporary basis at least as well as RFK Stadium.

New Orleans is a tourist town that does not have a strong corporate base to support a professional sports team which is why the NBA New Orleans Hornets are starting to circle the drain. It's not bad for the Saints since they are only at home 8 games a year, but to achieve financial success for a professional sports team with extended schedules like the NBA or MLB without corporate participation is tough to do.

realclearpolitics.com

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire."

- Robert A. Heinlein

Archived