NY Jets proposed stadium

Dnice

Not sure if anyone else  had any pics, but I brought one.

new-photo2.jpg

Does this have a retractable roof?

Retractable roof?! Retractable roof?! Why does a football team need a retractable roof? The game is meant to be played in the elements for crying out loud! No sissies allowed! :cursing:

Who is this Murphy and when did he become the law?

Not sure if anyone else  had any pics, but I brought one.

new-photo2.jpg

Does this have a retractable roof?

Retractable roof?! Retractable roof?! Why does a football team need a retractable roof? The game is meant to be played in the elements for crying out loud! No sissies allowed! :cursing:

Dude, calm down.

A retractable roof would make it suitable for conventions and other indoor (olympic?) events. It doesn't mean they'll be playing football inside.

And, as a stadium employee who had to shovel tons of snow this year, I can definately appreciate a stadium with a roof that can be closed prior to blizzards.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The roof will also bring the Final Four to New York.

Good call. I forgot about that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If said this before...if the Jets get the land, then the stadium will be built. No doubt. That is just what I have heard.

It all rests on the MTA's shoulders now.

Not exactly, the residents there can still block it like they did the West Side Highway. $600 million would be comming from the city, they will try to stop that first. After that they will probably just sue the city and the Jets to death.

If said this before...if the Jets get the land, then the stadium will be built. No doubt. That is just what I have heard.

Not exactly, the residents there can still block it like they did the West Side Highway. $600 million would be comming from the city, they will try to stop that first. After that they will probably just sue the city and the Jets to death.

if it gets to that point, what they can do is declare the land blighted and take it by emminent domain. you cant sue to stop emminent domain, its in the constitiution, i believe.

True, true. I meant as in the city and the Jets have a deal, and without any public outcry, etc., it'll be built. Funny enough that all the commercials against the stadium, are piad for by none other than MSG, no city groups themselves.

Under the law of eniment domain, a city may take privete property for a public use, without the owner's consent, if the owner is compensated for the full property value of the property. The 5th and 14th Amendments of the U.S. Constitution sets linits to this power. In the 1980's both the cities of Oakland (CA) and Baltimore (MD) attempted to use eniment domain in an attempt to keep the Raiders and Colts respectively through the courts. Both were denied.

However, cities have and do use this law for what is perceived as their best interest. Lately, or the most coverage for this is for stadiums and arenas. Camden Yards and other downtown facilities are the most notable.

Before you talk about what is best for a city or downtown development, you may want to try to read "Playing the Field" by charles Euchner or "Major League Losers" by Mark Rosentraub, which go in detain about public financing for stadiums and arenas. That does not include books about the corruption and bribery inside the International Olympic Committee, however that is another thread.

Archived