Penguins new 3rd jersey (rumored)

Rampart

From sources within the Penguins organization, the powder blue jersey will be returning as a 3rd jersey. The Penguins were going to introduce these prior to the 2003-04 season, but reconsidered. I'm not sure if they'll be going with the early 70's (logo in the circle) or mid 70's style. The WBS Peguins wore blue jerseys (the dark 1978 style) for many of thier games last season and received a very positive fan response.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a die hard Pens fan, please don't do it. Blue is gone from our scheme. It is nowhere on the home or away jersey, so why have it as the third. Drop LV gold, change to yellow, and have a yellow third. That is the only sane thing to do. Don't go with powder blue because it's a trendy color. Also, the blue had jack squat to do with any glory days or anything from that franchise. The yellow third was worn by a rookie who was labeled as the next great one.

KISSwall09.jpg

I gotta agree with the last post.

I actually love the look of the powder blue Pens, but what I love even more is that Pittsburgh teams all follow the same color scheme. The Pens are already pushing it with the Vegas Gold. Blue is a step farther in the wrong direction.

I have to agree with you guys. While I like the fact that the Penguins are going to wear throwbacks, I'd rather see the 1991-92 Stanley Cup jerseys. I'm not a big fan of the Las Vegas gold, especially on the white jersey. The blue may only last a season or two, depending on the fan reaction to it.

I can tell you that I would definitely buy the blue jersey. I believe the pens had one of the best jerseys in the league just prior to going to the black and yellow in the early 80s. The jersey really took a nose dive when it incorporated the new style penguin. I was glad to see that go.

Any idea when it will be unveiled?

I get the nod to the past, but it's just not going to look right with the look they have now. Those blue jerseys are from their infant years, not associated with any success to holler about. Not compared to the glory years with the black and gold look. Not to mention how much black/gold screams Pittsburgh. I hope this is a one-shot deal andthey consider something more in line with what they wear now, like a gold (not Vegas gold) 3rd.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I like the blue Pens--they were unique the switch to yellow/gold & black made them too much like other teams... (well the Bruins at first)

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

mention the words "powder blue" in this forum and suddenly just about everyone here sprouts a raging boner <_<:rolleyes:

There are a few teams that it works for--but for most it doesn't...

The Pens & Chargers are teams it works for...

But they are the few and far between...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I like the blue Pens--they were unique the switch to yellow/gold & black made them too much like other teams... (well the Bruins at first)

They did it because they struggled and the Pirates and Steelers were coming off championship years and they wanted to be "like them."

KISSwall09.jpg

mention the words "powder blue" in this forum and suddenly just about everyone here sprouts a raging boner <_<:rolleyes:

Hahahahahahahahahahaha! :hockeysmiley:

Truer words were never spoken.

POWDER BLUE SUCKS!

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I get the nod to the past, but it's just not going to look right with the look they have now. Those blue jerseys are from their infant years, not associated with any success to holler about. Not compared to the glory years with the black and gold look. Not to mention how much black/gold screams Pittsburgh. I hope this is a one-shot deal andthey consider something more in line with what they wear now, like a gold (not Vegas gold) 3rd.

This makes sense. Everyone associates the Penguins with the Lemieux glory years.

Still, i'd like to see the powder blues, at least as an alt? And bring back the scarf on the skating penguin!

I like the idea, but only if they would use the alternates very sparingly- for special occasions only. And I also liked the switch to Las Vegas gold rather than the yellow, I think it helps distinguish them from Boston without getting away from the Pittsburgh black & gold scheme.

Archived