Bengals uni's: why the hate

floydnimrod

From what I read everyone hates the white panel down the side, and with the pants it looks terrible. But what they tried to do is look like a tiger, and tigers underbelly goes from white and merges with the orange and stripes. Look at the picture, you'll see.

bengals.png

Imagine if the Eagles went to a yellow facemask (beak) and had feathery accents to their shoulders and pant stripes (with maybe some talons on the knee pad). Do you think it would look good? That is essentially what the Bengals have done to their uniform.

If the "future" of uniforms was to dress like the mascot, I'd hate to play for the Cowboys. It would be tough to run in spurs.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Imagine if the Eagles went to a yellow facemask (beak) and had feathery accents to their shoulders and pant stripes (with maybe some talons on the knee pad).  Do you think it would look good?  That is essentially what the Bengals have done to their uniform.

Ha!! :lol:

6uXNWAo.png

Hate the new ones. Too busy.

Never liked the 80s look either. Stripes don't do it for me. On the uniform or the helmet.

I'd like to see them jazz up the 70s uni with the new Bengals logo and wordmark.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

I agree with the poster who noted that their PREVIOUS uniform was pretty near perfect, as NFL kits go. This one is a mish-mash of everything currently WRONG with NFL jersey design.

Agreed.

These new uniforms are a mess. I really hate how some of the stripes on the sleeves are screened on and some are sewn - even on TV, I can tell the difference.

It's a mess.

The Bengals would have the best uniforms in the Arena League.

No, they'd be behind the Rattlers, the Crush, the Storm, the Sabercats, the Kats, and.....

Well, they'd still have the worst uni's in the league.

As for what's wrong with them, I'll echo the "it's too busy" talk, but I'll add this, look at the different kinds of tiger stripes on ONE uniform:

Black stripes on an orange background

Orange stripes on a black background

Orange stripes on a white background

There is no way that it can be a good uniform if it has 3 different stripe/background color combos on it. Period.

I think the Bengals' former design was awesome, and way ahead of its time when it debuted in the 1980's. I don't mind the "B" lettermark but the running tiger needs to be shot and buried and never used for anything, IMO. The old helmets with the "BENGALS" wordmark are old-school cool, but honestly the uniforms they wore then were pretty ugly.

As for the new unis, I really like them to a point, but the stripe panel down each side has to go, or the design has to be rethought. And the pants suck.

If I were redesigning it and was ordered to keep the stripe panel I would use an orange stripe on the black jersey, a black stripe on the white jersey, and a black stripe on the orange jersey. The tiger stripe pattern in the panel would match the jersey color and would blend from the jersey.

I would go to plain pants... black with white jerseys, white with orange and black jerseys.

Or, if you wanted to get crazy, use all-over tiger-striped pants like the spandex that some skiers wear, and match the pants color to the jersey stripe panel color. (!)

All in all I like the new unis, except for the stripes under the arms.

I hate the Bengals..period. Their uniforms don't help either.

Personally, the old orange helmet with "Bengals" works fine for me.

I have never been a big fan of words on helmets but I always liked that old Bengals helmet. That one worked for some reason.

BB52Big.jpg

My problem with the Bengals uniform is that it is a good idea but they executed them very poorly. They are very inconsistant. On the black jersey all they need to do is drop the white stripe. However the white and orange ones are the disaster. THe problem is that they have a black sleeve with orange stripes (Tigers are orange with balck stripes. If they drop the orange sholder of the white and made the sleeves orange with black stripes it would be fine (White side stripe dropped as well). Same thing with the orange jersey make the sleeve orange with black stripes. (and drop the white side stripe as well). If the Bengals fixed thise mistake the uniforms would look great.

So, what's the bigger hot button issue on this board--Bengals jerseys, or Milwaukee Brewers logos?

Brewers, by far. IT HAS NO EXPLICIT CONNECTION TO BEERMAKING! BEERMAKING BEERMAKING BEERMAKING BEERMAKING BEERMAKING!!!

I don't know...I think the wheat shafts are a great representation of brewing.

Considering the NFL goes as far as fashion police (the term generally used by the players) that fine participants for untucked jerseys, unauthorized logos on clothing, gloves, shoes, etc, would it be too tough for them to simply lay down a couple of rules such as "white jersey with dark pants" and "dark jersey with white pants" It wouldn't affect any of the teams that actually have taste in terms of uni use. It would put a stop to the teams that prefer the matching jerseys and pants (take heed Seattle).

I am not a fan of additional rules, however since its now illegal to get within 11 feet of a receiver at any time between the pregame meal and the postgame press conference we might as well go over the top and also have some rules that actually make sense. Some rules that provide common sense in terms of uniforms wouldn't be completely out of line. I realize there are some in place, but clearly they need to be modified. I might be able to take the Bengals unis IF they got rid of the white under the arms and they contrasted jerseys and pants, the way the football gods intended.

BroncosSig.jpg

They dont look as good as the outfit MY hooker wore last night...and no self respecting HIGH SCHOOL team would wear them either..they look too busy, too high schoolish...their old uniforms looked much more professional, the tiger stripes are fine but lets put a leash on them somewhere!

About whoever said "well bengals have white bellies". Fine but why then have sleeves stipes the side panel be white and then stripes on the leg, how does that work?

But anyway the side panel just looks stupid, that has to be the worst flaw, if it wasn't for that the uniform would be greatly improved.

Now if wanted to get real picky and try and make it perfect, yeah orange stripes on black look bad, the yolk on the whites looks dumb and the number font should match their word-mark better. The B logo sucks, the cat was good when it came out, good now. And that's my $.03

I like my women like i like my coffee, tied up in a burlap sack and thrown over the back of a donkey.

Archived