TV numbers on NFL jerseys

DGivens87

Does the NFL require TV numbers on the sleeves or shoulders? There was a thread on this board about how the Browns would be switching to a more "throwback look" for their 2006 jerseys. One of the pics showed the owner with one of the new '06 model

jersey_prototype.jpg

So where are the TV numbers? If the Browns were to follow the "throwback" design of the 06 jerseys, I'd assume the numbers would be just above the sleeve stripes.

To get off topic for just a second: A great example of why grey facemasks can look great. The Pack looks great in those. they'd be even better with green jerseys. just perfect.

Agreed.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I think the last team to go without TV numbers on their regular uniforms were the 1979 Bengals. The next year, they added numbers to the sleeves in what would be the final year for their original uniform design. Whether TV numbers were mandated in 1980 or the Bengals just decided to get with the program, I don't know.

Quoting the NFL Rule Book (snippets from Rule 5, Section 3, Article 3, subarticle © to be precise):

Numerals on the back and front of jerseys in accordance with Rule 5, Section 1, Article 4.  Such numerals must be a minimum of 8 inches high and 4 inches wide, and their color must be in sharp contrast with the color of the jersey.  Smaller numbers should be worn on the tops of the shoulders or upper arms of the jersey.  Small numerals on the back of the helmet or on the uniform pants are optional.

So no, they aren't required.

nav-logo.png

Quoting the NFL Rule Book (snippets from Rule 5, Section 3, Article 3, subarticle © to be precise):

Numerals on the back and front of jerseys in accordance with Rule 5, Section 1, Article 4.  Such numerals must be a minimum of 8 inches high and 4 inches wide, and their color must be in sharp contrast with the color of the jersey.  Smaller numbers should be worn on the tops of the shoulders or upper arms of the jersey.  Small numerals on the back of the helmet or on the uniform pants are optional.

Thanks Mad Mac! :D

Thanks Mad Mac! :D

No problem. I have just about every piece of "regulatory" information related to the big three (MLB, NFL, NBA) pro sports leagues (bylaws, constitutions, rule books, etc.), and just happened to be leafing through the NFL's rule book when I came across this thread.

nav-logo.png

To get off topic for just a second: A great example of why grey facemasks can look great. The Pack looks great in those. they'd be even better with green jerseys. just perfect.

Doubly agreed.

The five sleeve stripes, the socks, the gray facemask...if the Lions only had their gray (or even blue) facemasks, those would be two damn-near-perfect football uniforms.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Reada to me like they are required. The NFL isn't just making a suggestion on where you might want to put some extra numbers. They're not saying... hey you should do that it'd be pretty cool.... "Should" means required to me. It doesn't have specific dimentions on it but that to me says they must be worn.

Perhaps they make exceptions for throwbacks because thats to make some extra dough and theyd probably make more money the more acurate the throwbacks are, but in general I'd say that rule mandates shoulder numbers.

IMO there is no difference between MUST and SHOULD in that rule. Optional is a different story.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Should...

(1) Used in auxiliary function to express what is probable or expected.

(2) Used in auxiliary function to express a request in a polite manner or to soften a direct statement.

Trust me, if you read the rule book in its entirety, or the NFL Constitution and ByLaws, you'd realize that "should" means its optional or recommended. "Shall" and "Must" are the NFL's favorite words to communicate "gotta, must-a, haf-ta."

nav-logo.png

I wonder who the first team to wear them was?  The AFL teams brought names to the back, but the Packers were wearing sleeve numbers back in the 1950s.

gothamite,

that distinction is held by 8 nfl teams in 1956.

colts

bears

lions

packers

rams

giants

eagles

steelers

the four that didn't and the years i have them going to sleeve #'s:

cardinals: 1962

browns: 1961

49ers: 1958

redskins: 1957

the steelers would drop the sleeve numbers in 57 and put numbers on their helmets thru 1961, then put them back on the sleevers permanently in 1962.

hth.

tb

Reada to me like they are required. The NFL isn't just making a suggestion on where you might want to put some extra numbers. They're not saying... hey you should do that it'd be pretty cool.... "Should" means required to me. It doesn't have specific dimentions on it but that to me says they must be worn.

Perhaps they make exceptions for throwbacks because thats to make some extra dough and theyd probably make more money the more acurate the throwbacks are, but in general I'd say that rule mandates shoulder numbers.

IMO there is no difference between MUST and SHOULD in that rule. Optional is a different story.

All the teams have TV numbers now, and all the teams would need League approval to get their uniforms changed. So if some teams says they want to lose the TV numbers, the League could just not approve it, without having to implicitly cite the rule. It's like an unrequired requirement.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Detroit's erstwhile Thanksgiving throwbacks didn't have TV numbers, either.

I thought those Lions' Thanksgiving uniforms predated the era when TV numbers were "voluntarily mandatory". As such, they were left off to be true to the historical era from which the uniforms came. Keep it real for Turkey Day... :rolleyes:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I wonder who the first team to wear them was?  The AFL teams brought names to the back, but the Packers were wearing sleeve numbers back in the 1950s.

gothamite,

that distinction is held by 8 nfl teams in 1956.

colts

bears

lions

packers

rams

giants

eagles

steelers

the four that didn't and the years i have them going to sleeve #'s:

cardinals: 1962

browns: 1961

49ers: 1958

redskins: 1957

the steelers would drop the sleeve numbers in 57 and put numbers on their helmets thru 1961, then put them back on the sleevers permanently in 1962.

hth.

tb

That's great.

I knew that the Packers started them in 1956, but I didn't know about the other NFL teams.

Thanks!

Does the NFL require TV numbers on the sleeves or shoulders? There was a thread on this board about how the Browns would be switching to a more "throwback look" for their 2006 jerseys. One of the pics showed the owner with one of the new '06 model

jersey_prototype.jpg

So where are the TV numbers? If the Browns were to follow the "throwback" design of the 06 jerseys, I'd assume the numbers would be just above the sleeve stripes.

If he's the owner, he might want to consider an office upgrade. :D

Agree re the Packers' uni's in the pic - an example of classic design that transfers beautifully to modern equipment and materials.

To the topic, interesting that they're called "TV" numbers since they're the smallest ones on the uniform and date from way before football was widely televised. Guess the idea is seeing the number in tight shots where the front/back of the uniform isn't visible.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived