Another "i just realized what that logo is!"

boardname

Do you REALLY wanna fly an airline that can't get a compass pointing in the right direction?

(graffiti in the Detroit airport: "NWA-Nimrods with Airplanes")

Do you really want to fly an airline that has the same name as a certain gangsta rap group of the late 80s, that included Dr. Dre, Eazy E, Ice Cube, MC Ren, and DJ Yella?

Hellz yeah. I want Run-DMC, Public Enemy, and A Tribe Called Quest airlines too.

I'm pretty sure the airline came first. What the similarity really means is that Dre and company were pretty un-hip-hop when they copied the airline's name. :upside:

It wasn't hip-hop back then. It was gangsta rap. Get it straight. And yeah, Northwest Airlines was in existence for ~60 years before the rappers. :upside:

I'm a 38-year-old suburban white guy. Give me my props for knowing the term "hip-hop", for God's sake. :P

The 410 representin'. :peace:

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you REALLY wanna fly an airline that can't get a compass pointing in the right direction?

Do you really want to fly an airline that has the same name as a certain gangsta rap group of the late 80s, that included Dr. Dre, Eazy E, Ice Cube, MC Ren, and DJ Yella?

Hellz yeah. I want Run-DMC, Public Enemy, and A Tribe Called Quest airlines too.

I'm pretty sure the airline came first. What the similarity really means is that Dre and company were pretty un-hip-hop when they copied the airline's name. :upside:

It wasn't hip-hop back then. It was gangsta rap. Get it straight. And yeah, Northwest Airlines was in existence for ~60 years before the rappers. :upside:

I'm a 38-year-old suburban white guy. Give me my props for knowing the term "hip-hop", for God's sake. :P

The 410 representin'. :peace:

LOL... that's alright. I like messing with people on forums. Hope you weren't offended. Gotta give you props for the response. All%20hail.gif

LOL... that's alright.  I like messing with people on forums.  Hope you weren't offended. 

Not in the least. If I was, I wouldn't have come back with the semi-wise@$$, hopefully humorous response. B)

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Does anyone know what the Portland Trail Blazers logo represents? That one has always bugged me.

Five on five basketball. The five intesecting spokes are the five individual players. I learned that on this board.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The thing about that is, back when the Trailblazers' was positioned upright and they had the old lowercase wordmark, I thought the logo was a combination of a "t" and a "b" that matched the wordmark font and could be viewed upside-down as well as right-side up. It wasn't till I started reading this board that I learned about the whole 5-on-5 thing, which makes sense, but doesn't it all still form a "t" and a "b"?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I also thought it was some combination of "t", "b" or "p".

The top-left (white) part looks like it could be a "t", and/or a "b" if you include the circle part, while the bottom-right (red) part looks maybe like a "p" if you incorporate the circle.

But instead, it just signifies 5-on-5 basketball. Wow, how unique to the city of Portland. All these years thinking about what the logo could be, and it turns out it's 5-on-5 basketball.

(Thanks Power-Man)

IF you look close enough, there's an airplane in the old Winnipeg Jets logo.

It's times like these where I'm taken back to the South Park movie in which Brooke Shields she farted once on the set of the "Blue Lagoon."

Then Terrance slaps her.

vike09 Posted on Thursday, January 12th, 2006 - 00:20:55

I just noticed on the Carolina Hurricanes primary, it sort of looks like an eye. I know that sounds wierd, and yes there is an eye of a hurricane, but this one looks more like an eye than any hurricane I've seen.

highlanders08 Posted on Wednesday, January 11th, 2006 - 23:39:29

i just noticed the skate in the canucks red and yellow logo 

The thread has been hijacked by some extreme hilarity from the newbies.

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

Northwest has been around for a long, long time and was informally known as NWA because all airlines have a 3-letter identifier (and a 2-letter code and a numerical identifier). They just never used it as their primary logo.

American's identifiers are AAL, AA, and 001. Delta's are DAL, DL, and 006, and so on. In fact, look at your next airline ticket and you'll see the ticket number begins with the issuing airline's numerical identifier.

Also, I repaired my original post on page 6 of this thread to restore the old NW logo if anyone wants to see it.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

So can you see the "Delta Demon"? This one's unintentional (I hope!) and a bit of a stretch I guess, but here's where to look: in the middle section, the left side is lighter blue except for three darker blue elements, which resemble a demonic-style eye, nose, and mouth seen in profile.

75848.jpeg

This design is the epitome of marketing horses*** by the way. They call it "flowing fabric" and replaced the old/new versions of the iconic Delta "widget" with it. Why would you take the universally recognized symbol of your company - the widget - off in favor of this crap? Freshen the widget, don't freakin' get rid of it!

Old widget tail

k3ZTA3ZDA3MDc5N2JjMmVhNzYzMTQ5Zm-icon.jpg

1997 redesign

FiMGQyOTFjMGM3NWRmYzQyZjUwZDcyMT-icon.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

The triangle points northwest in the new logo as well, but for some reason Northwest reverses it on the right side of their planes, making it point northeast.  :wacko:

981730.jpg

When holding a compass rose, the triangle would always point North, right? So if you're heading in a Northwest direction, the "reversed logo" (aka the right-side of the plane logo) is what the compass would look like.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

So can you see the "Delta Demon"? This one's unintentional (I hope!) and a bit of a stretch I guess, but here's where to look: in the middle section, the left side is lighter blue except for three darker blue elements, which resemble a demonic-style eye, nose, and mouth seen in profile.

75848.jpeg

This design is the epitome of marketing horses*** by the way. They call it "flowing fabric" and replaced the old/new versions of the iconic Delta "widget" with it. Why would you take the universally recognized symbol of your company - the widget - off in favor of this crap? Freshen the widget, don't freakin' get rid of it!

I don't mind this look, it looks like a flag waving or something.

That nwa logo looks like it's pointing down as well as NE/W.

Interesting.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

i thought this would be a good place to post this questiion

why in the hell did the old spurs logo have pink orange and teal in the logo????

it looked terible with the black and white spurs wordmark!

100px-Spurs_90-02_logo.jpg

because of san antonio's hispanic heritage. those colors represented a fiesta

stars.jpg

dallasmavericks.gif

style1,JBPerry.png

<embed src="http://www.clocklink.com/clocks/5005-Blue.swf?TimeZone=CST&TimeFormat=hhmmssTT" width="180" height="60" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

joshuabperry@sbcglobal.net

My Webpage

i thought this would be a good place to post this questiion

why in the hell did the old spurs logo have pink orange and teal in the logo????

it looked terible with the black and white spurs wordmark!

100px-Spurs_90-02_logo.jpg

because of san antonio's hispanic heritage. those colors represented a fiesta

I always found it ironic that the Spurs had that vibrant, colorful logo with mainly black and white jerseys back in the early 90's. I liked the Spurs jerseys, it was just odd.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Archived