Another "i just realized what that logo is!"

boardname

I didnt know what the Canucks logo was till last week....its a whale right???

It's a tribal-inspired killer whale...The Canucks are (were?)owned by a consortium called Orca Entertainment. He's breaking the surface.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
fa99.jpg

Uh, judging by the gold on the Falcons head, it's probably from their inagural season when the team wanted to represent UGA with Red and Black, but didn't want to disrespect fans who loved Georgia Tech. Dumb? Yes it is.

I guess everyone realizes there is an H for Houston in this logo?

03rockets_logo1.jpg

Can't you make the arguement that any R with a straight leg has a "hidden" h in it? I don't see how the h in the Houston logo is special.

It's a capital H below the R--the curved line through the lower part of the R creates it...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

This isn't sports--but for Canadians--how many of you realized the "B" in the Bay's wordmark was a "B"--as a kid I thought it was a scrunched up shape--and I although I know it's a "B"--in my mind it's still a scrunched up "B"--all that fancy stuff on the left side distracted me and that became the focal point--I know others who thought the same thing.

bay_a.gif

(Or a bigger one here.)

I used to think it was an M. For the longest time (until I was at least 10) I didn't know why they called it the May - didn't they know it was wrong :).

It does look more like an M than a B...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

it took a long time for me to realize the Seahawks' logo was Inuit-inspired. The current Canucks logo was a slam-dunk, though.

doubt it's inuit. it's totem pole like. i dont think the inuits made poles did they? its more from those bc tribes. haida maybe?

Totems were done by the Tlingits in AK, BC and the yukon-- but the seahawks logo doesnt fit the theme too well because the poles are mostly black, red and teal (like the Vancouver Grizzlies old color scheme, probably the same inspiration). Artistically, it does look fairly close.

Now, as to the Washington Wizards logo, I still see a swastika in it.

If you are, you must be looking awfully hard to find it. 

I kid you not, it was the very first thing I noticed about the Wizards logo when it first came out. I was amazed they would use such a logo. I still am.

it took a long time for me to realize the Seahawks' logo was Inuit-inspired. The current Canucks logo was a slam-dunk, though.

doubt it's inuit. it's totem pole like. i dont think the inuits made poles did they? its more from those bc tribes. haida maybe?

Totems were done by the Tlingits in AK, BC and the yukon-- but the seahawks logo doesnt fit the theme too well because the poles are mostly black, red and teal (like the Vancouver Grizzlies old color scheme, probably the same inspiration). Artistically, it does look fairly close.

Don't forget the Tsimpshians, of which I am proud to be a member. I own this jersey just for the fact of it's look and that the orca is our family crest. Living in Seattle also makes it a little easier to wear around town. ^_^

edit: I was talking about the Canucks jersey.

Yea, I see the H now.

I still am wondering if there is anything in this rockets logo!

HOU_4790.gif

there is a crescent moon on the far right(in red)

wow....i just noticed that orange basketball in the middle of the logo.

and the word "houston" in the orbit.....amazing!

fa99.jpg

Uh, judging by the gold on the Falcons head, it's probably from their inagural season when the team wanted to represent UGA with Red and Black, but didn't want to disrespect fans who loved Georgia Tech. Dumb? Yes it is.

Good point. Many folks are unaware that the Falcons even added thin gold helmet stripes to appease the Ramblin' Wreck faithful:

nobis1.jpg

Thanks to the awesome Helmut Hut for the great pic.

Oh, and did anyone else notice there's a maple leaf in the board's logo? :P

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Yea, I see the H now.

HOU_4790.gif

I think it is supposed to be some sort of vapor trail behind the basketball (as if the basketball is a rocket or satellite), but I could be wrong.

My other guess is that it is a salute to our Muslim brethren. :upside: (as to last sentence only) :peace:

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Yea, I see the H now.

HOU_4790.gif

I think it is supposed to be some sort of vapor trail behind the basketball (as if the basketball is a rocket or satellite), but I could be wrong.

My other guess is that it is a salute to our Muslim brethren. :upside: (as to last sentence only) :peace:

I always thought it was the sun (the yellow basketball) moving past the moon (the red cresent moon on the right side) after an eclipse. But that doesn't explain the red part on the left side of the basketball that has "Houston" on it.

Don't forget the Tsimpshians, of which I am proud to be a member. I own this jersey just for the fact of it's look and that the orca is our family crest. Living in Seattle also makes it a little easier to wear around town. ^_^

edit: I was talking about the Canucks jersey.

Well then you should be able to point out that West coast nations don't carve totem poles. The word "Totem" is a foriegn word. It means to idolize or worship, but poles here are carved to tell stories or to honour somone (many other reasons too).

I think the Seahawks and Canucks logos are bastardizations of the general look of northwest coast art. The designs are not based on one specific nation's style of art. If you look at a general design like the canucks, it's nearly impossible to tell what nation it would be "from" anyways because there isn't enough detail imo.

The black and red poles are northern style poles because they only had black and red paints. In the south they had more colours like teal and white due to contact with the spanish they were able to create more paints.

The Canucks and Seahawks imo are just trying to pay homage to local culture instead of singling out one specific nation. see: the 2010 logo.

:flagcanada:

gagner3.png

Last time I was in Victoria there was a guy carving orcas--and they looked very similar to the Canuck logo--

But then he could have just been copying it...

I always thought it was the sun (the yellow basketball) moving past the moon (the red cresent moon on the right side) after an eclipse.

That's what I was thinking too...but think about it...the sun never comes between the earth and the moon during an eclipse. If it were an eclipse, the sun would be in the shape of a crescent...in theory.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Columbus Blue Jackets logo has the C, B, and J in its logo.

9.gif

Well, of course it does. It's also incredibly ugly.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived