Favorite batting stance...

TurnTwo

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Everyone's done this'n at least once...

jeff11.jpg

As for my favorite:

a_vaughn.jpgI couldn't find an actual picture of Mo's stance, but he basically had the top half of his body hanging over the plate.

In fact, those are another two that I have tried at least once, especially the Bagwell stance.

I will show my age here...

My favs as a kid: Brian Downing, Rod Carew and Steve Garvey.

I liked to run like Ron Cey....

Sorry no pics

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

Growing up, I busted out the Will Clark stance (and played 1st base to boot). I wish I had the 20/15 vision to go with it (damn you, astigmatism...).

When I learned to hit righthanded, I went with Jack Clark or Big Mac. (I had 2 career dingers. I was a leadoff hitter with warning track power. The Jack Clark Experiment was an unqualified failure.) Julio Franco's was always the easiest to mock because it's so unique. Growing up, we imitated a lot of the '83 Phils as well - Rose, Schmidt, Morgan.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

there was a stance Tony Batista used a few years back, where he faced teh mound holding his bat straight up. years before that, when Bret Boone was a young Red, he briefly bobbed a little bit during his stance.

I prefer mocking windups, though, I'm a pitcher at heart. Dontrelle, Nomo, that Otsuka guy from teh Padres, heck, I've tried to mimic them submariners :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I play WiffleBall one on one with my cousin all the time, and I actually use a variety of stances. I do this to change it up, but I also pull out certain guys at certain times.

My favorite is probably Albert Pujols'. Left leg out front with almost no knee bend, right leg vertical but bent slightly. Arms brought back slowly and then cocked back with the wrist and hands moving the bat ever so slightly. Eyes staring down the pitcher. It's a cool stance for sure (and very effective).

I also like to use Jimmy Edmonds'. Feet spread way apart, knees bent quite a bit. When it's time to swing though, stand up, left the front foot, and often hit the high pitches. I'm a righty, but I adjust his stance to fit. Sometimes I try lefty though.

My fun and contact swing is David Eckstein. I pull this one out with two strikes. Choke up, bend a bit, and just move around lot waiting for the pitch.

Julio Franco's stance is what I used to use when I played baseball in HS...it kinda worked my senior year...in limited action (mostly b/c I was a defensive liability...I played 2B and I made Kaz Matsui look like a gold glover :lol: ), I ended up hitting about .340 with 2 dingers.

When I played WiffleBall (up through college), I used to try the Bagwell one.

Another one I used to goof on was Jim Leyritz's...especially with the bat-twirl after every pitch taken :lol:

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

When I was really young, I tried to emulate Pete Rose and the hunched over stance.

Then I moved on to Michael Jack Schmidt's 'elbow out' stance.

From there, I tried the Julio Franco 'bat over head' thing. That one didn't work too well.

Now in my softball leagues, I do the John Kruk / Andres Galaraga 'open' stance. That one works a little better for me.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived