"Padres" is offensive

neo_prankster

Now that some sports teams are getting bad vibes for their un-PC nicknames, I'm wondering why nobody has spoken out against the San Diego Padres' nickname. I mean, the Spanish monks that the team is allegedy named after were involved in the Inquisition where Jews, Muslims and other non-Catholics were "tortured and burned in a carnival-like atmosphere" (quote from History of the World Part I). Those guys also came to California in the 1760's and bullied the Native Americans into giving up their ancient traditions. I'm just curious if the stated historical facts could give some folks good reason to boycott the team.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Y'know it's funny, because the "Cowboys" always shot at Indians (another offensive nickname), the Chiefs is pretty un-PC, those Patriots? Oh man, they slaughtered English forces by the infrantry-load, NY Jets - c'mon, anyone heard of 9/11? Where was the public outcry after that unfortunate day? The Buccaneers, they slaughtered and robbed on the high seas, the Saints is an obvious reference to Catholicism (any religious associations = bad), and let's not forget the Panthers, an obvious reference to the violent tactics used by the Black Panthers of the 1960s.

And we're just talking about one pro league!

Seriously folks, is there something we can't get our panties in bunch about? Good "God"... I mean, "higher authority that may/may not exist, in a realm called "heaven" that also may/not exist" :upside:

I mean, the Spanish monks that the team is allegedy named after were involved in the Inquisition where Jews, Muslims and other non-Catholics were "tortured and burned in a carnival-like atmosphere" (quote from History of the World Part I).

You're making this argument based on a Mel Brooks film? :blink:

Moose

Hey neo_prankster, let's read about Bartolomé de las Casas, a very kind monk.

Not all the "Padres" are bad people.

Using your logic, we can think that all the Saints are heavenly people... but that's not the true: among them there are lots of sinners.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

This guy, bad?

Maybe you should get out of the house more, so we can have somthing to really discuss.

Padres1.jpg

I thought baseball & skirts went out of vogue after WWII.

realclearpolitics.com

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire."

- Robert A. Heinlein

That's funny. You brought up something you're not offended by just to once more attack the PC police straw man. Way to go. It's a tired topic on this board.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Oh, I just thought people without fathers were offended by a team named after fathers... :unsure:

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Now if they were called the "San Diego Madres" then you might have something...

"Ow, you fat penguin!"

"You are such a disappointing pair. I prayed so hard for you. It saddens and hurts me that the two young boys whom I taught to believe in the Ten Commandments have come back to me as two thieves, with filthy mouths and bad attitudes!"

"Boys, you got to learn not to talk to nuns that way."

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Sheesh, if we wanted to play PC Police here, I bet we could find a problem with most of the nicknames used by teams these days...

*puts on the PC Helmet*

Vikings? That's gotta go. I mean, they only raped and pillaged their way across most of Europe in the 8th and 9th Centuries...might offend someone who's great great great great great great great great grandpappy got reduced into a mound of ground chuck by one of these guys...

Brewers? Demeaning to alcoholics and that ilk...Figure on seeing a coalition of MAAD, SAAD, & AA picketing Miller Park soon...

Pistons? That's a part to a car...cars are EEEEVIL! They cause global warming!! Someone fax Al Gore on this! This name cannot stand!!

Oilers? Honoring those that destroy the enviroment for oil?? Greenpeace shall be alerted!

Athletics? That's offensive to the couch potatoes across this great land! It's a "higher power" given right to be lazy in this country!

Giants? That's a slur against the vertically challenged! PROTEST! PROTEST!

*takes off PC Helmet...feels common sense returning*

Wow...that just made my brain hurt....

The point of all this is....singling out a name like "Padres" as being offensive opens the door for any crackpot to want to see a team's name get changed because it could *shudder* offend someone...

Personally, those that feel the need to protest what a team calls themselves need to go out and get lives.

Besides, when you use History Of The World Part I as a reference point, you lose ALL credibility on the subject.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Sheesh, if we wanted to play PC Police here, I bet we could find a problem with most of the nicknames used by teams these days...

*puts on the PC Helmet*

I've been trying to think of reasons to object to Orioles and Ravens. Please help.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

*puts on the PC Helmet*

I've been trying to think of reasons to object to Orioles and Ravens. Please help.

"Ravens" - Named after Raven Simone of the Cosby Show? That shows clear favoritism to African Americans. All white people should be terribly offended, and ask for some team to be named the "Opies" for sports team name equality.

metslogo_215.gif

*puts on the PC Helmet*

"Ravens" - why does the Raven gotta be black? :P

The name Giants is offensive to me.  I'm just 6' tall.  And my former growing-up-with team...the Reds.  Commies!!!!

(kidding.)

And my team the Pirates! Are they implying that all we Pittsburgers do is steal, raid, and rape? And the Penguins! We dont waddle around in tuxes all the time. And the Steelers exploit our past of polluting with all those mills! I dont F***ing believe it!

(also kidding)

oBIgzrL.png

Archived