New Sabres Logo??

gbasalmon

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply
not a terrible jersey...

I just wish....

sabres.gif

No offense to J.S. , He has a lot more talent then I'll ever have. But thats not a Buffalo. The Body is wrong.

His Alt Buffalo Is Better It just needs its torso lengthend and a Buffalo's Tail.

The Sabres, on His 03 Concepts were Better as well.

i'm gonna have to defend my work a bit here, and also simply ask for some explanation ... perhaps if you can help me see what you're seeing i can improve it a bit further.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

here are a few of the NUMEROUS reference shots i was working off of to get proportions and anatomical understanding to make it appear proper.

logos_primary_b.jpg

compared now to the buffalo ... the 'short torso' may be due to the slight foreshortening .. as its not a perfect sideshot, its at a slight angle .. notice the legs staggered as they would be if the buffalo was slightly coming out at you.

other than that .. i'd like to know what specifically is lacking in making it more buffalo-esque .. and please be brutally honest, because if i'm missing something or simply not seeing, i'd like to hear it so as to improve.

Maybe The Problem I'm having is the Foreshortening. It seems the Shaded part of the body is to short. Compared to the Front Shoulder Area. It also seems a little front heavy.

I never had the Impression the view was meant to be angled. Until You mentioned it in your post.

This is the Picture I was looking at for reference of a Buffalo.

http://www.hitherston.com/plogger/images/s...alo_soldier.jpg

The Eurpean Bison pic. I love that Stance Feet Planted , Head down. It Conveys a power to me.

I have nothing to sell. Just a Sabres Fan.

certainly isn't the worst logo ive seen. the wordmark is great. e greatful. it kicks the ass of a good deal of other nhl logos

:blink: The Buffaslug??? Please tell, what does the Buffaslug "kick the ass of," other then the Sabres dignity?

Sure, there are other bad logos in the NHL, but nothing on the Buffaslug level.

I made my full comment in the "long-awaited Sabres jersey" thread, but I thought I'd say

I like that particular logo concept that John Slabyk created better on that jersey than

the other one that was posted. Too bad that's not the real crest logo.

It truly makes me all the more wish the "buffaslug" logo was never brought into existance.

I can live with it by itself, but with the wordmark it is much worse.

Why are the Sabres slowly unveilling everything a bit at a time - logo first, then pants, then a leaked photo of the jersey on their own website (!). That, plus the fact that they will wear the vintage unis for over a quarter of their home games leads me to believe that they don't have confidence in their new look.

Homer%20Simpson%20Sabres.jpg

not a terrible jersey...

I just wish....

sabres.gif

No offense to J.S. , He has a lot more talent then I'll ever have. But thats not a Buffalo. The Body is wrong.

His Alt Buffalo Is Better It just needs its torso lengthend and a Buffalo's Tail.

The Sabres, on His 03 Concepts were Better as well.

i'm gonna have to defend my work a bit here, and also simply ask for some explanation ... perhaps if you can help me see what you're seeing i can improve it a bit further.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

here are a few of the NUMEROUS reference shots i was working off of to get proportions and anatomical understanding to make it appear proper.

logos_primary_b.jpg

compared now to the buffalo ... the 'short torso' may be due to the slight foreshortening .. as its not a perfect sideshot, its at a slight angle .. notice the legs staggered as they would be if the buffalo was slightly coming out at you.

other than that .. i'd like to know what specifically is lacking in making it more buffalo-esque .. and please be brutally honest, because if i'm missing something or simply not seeing, i'd like to hear it so as to improve.

To make it more anotomically accurate, off the top of my head, I'd say the bison in the picture has a bigger schlong than the one in your logo.

Ok, seriously though...

1) I'd make the bison horn bigger.

2) I'd make the body a little bit longer -- even though your proportions look very close to the pictures, the drawn rendering of it makes the buffalo look too compact in a cartoonish way. Longer seems more majestic, shorter seems like the buffalo put on too much weight.

3) I'd lose the nose/mouth slit thing. From a distance it looks like the buffalo is smiling.

All in all, excellent work. It goes without saying better than the new logo, and a little better than the old one, too.

I just saw this today. My initial impressions is that this is one of the most botched up uniform overhauls i've seen in a long time. The jersey reminds me of a football uniform. The slug doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought it would but the colour scheme reminds me of the STL Rams for cryin' out loud!

I really wish they just went back to the old logo and template but with the changed colours.

Why are the Sabres slowly unveilling everything a bit at a time - logo first, then pants, then a leaked photo of the jersey on their own website (!). That, plus the fact that they will wear the vintage unis for over a quarter of their home games leads me to believe that they don't have confidence in their new look.

I think many people are trying to convince themselves that this logo will be gone in a couple of years.....its not going anywhere, nor should it. I love the original logo, but let it go....the past is the past. The reason that the vintage unis are used for a quarter of the home games because it's what fans wanted...and its a good idea, not because of a lack of confidence. If lack of Confidence was the case...don't you think they would have went back to vintage as the primary uniform. (wishful thinkers lol)

The slug logo isn't the best the Sabres could have come up with, but its not the worse. I don't think its bad at all...in fact, I think a reason why I think that many people hate it is because it isn't the beloved original logo.

GO ahead, continue making updated versions of the logo and placing them on the leaked jersey...continue to cry about the JS models.....it won't change anything lol.

The jersey looks good and the logo doesn't look bad at all

I think many people are trying to convince themselves that this logo will be gone in a couple of years.....its not going anywhere, nor should it. I love the original logo, but let it go....the past is the past. The reason that the vintage unis are used for a quarter of the home games because it's what fans wanted...and its a good idea, not because of a lack of confidence. If lack of Confidence was the case...don't you think they would have went back to vintage as the primary uniform. (wishful thinkers lol)

The slug logo isn't the best the Sabres could have come up with, but its not the worse. I don't think its bad at all...in fact, I think a reason why I think that many people hate it is because it isn't the beloved original logo.

GO ahead, continue making updated versions of the logo and placing them on the leaked jersey...continue to cry about the JS models.....it won't change anything lol.

Ok, that's your opinion. Just stop preaching to us on how were're a bunch of whiners for not likeing it/trying to come with something better.

Concepts are a big part of this board. Most people don't liek the Buffaslug, and are going to continue to look for ways to improve it/design a better logo. It's why we're here. It's done for almost ever other pro sports team, the Sabres are no exception. It just so happens that many people find the Buffaslug more offensive (and thus a bigger target for concepts and critisisms) then other logos.

Oh, and adding "lol" like it's amusing to you that the Sabres have a logo we all hate makes you look like a jack :censored:

Once again, you like the Buffaslug. Fine. Show respect and not mockery/contempt for people who don't like it.

Amen brother.

Everyone loves a roundel.

JS....I for one would never ever usually remark on such a quality design because simply put it blows the hell out of the Buffaslug. However, the reference shots you give are perfectly done and I completely see the truncated torso because of the way he is moving as you described it. But I do see what the previous poster was talking about...it does slightly play a bit with my eyes and I was trying to see what he meant in reference to your response and I think I do get what he's saying...If you look at the picture posted below...

jslogo.png

You'll notice the parts I circled clearly show the movement you were talking about as you designed them...the bottom arrow shows (somewhat so..more forward but I couldn't get the arrow pointing exactly as shown) the direction (at least to my eyes) in which the body is moving...but if you look at the head of the buffalo it is completely profile....which is what was playing with my eyes when I looked at the logo as a whole...at least to me that's what I see...the head is slightly off direction from the body because of it's perfect side profile......I'm not suggesting fixing it or anything like that because I would call it a near perfect example of what a logo should look like but I just thought, since I saw it, I could explain a bit one what the poster might have been talking about....but of course I could just be imagining things and like I said it's a great logo so I mean no disrespect in any way with it because even though I have design aspirations don't feel i could do an 1/8 of the work put into this logo.....

CIDesignSig.png

Some new Sabres merchandise is now on Wincraft's site. I won't be buying any of it though. Death to the Slug!!!

http://www.wincraft.com/index.cfm?intMenuI...nSearchActive=0

All that merchandise is featuring a wordmark/script we have not seen before.

I'm assuming that was the original version of the wordmark.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Some new Sabres merchandise is now on Wincraft's site.  I won't be buying any of it though. Death to the Slug!!!

Or a completely generic mark because Wincraft didn't purchase rights to the official mark.

Save the slugalo.

Some new Sabres merchandise is now on Wincraft's site.  I won't be buying any of it though. Death to the Slug!!!

Or a completely generic mark because Wincraft didn't purchase rights to the official mark.

Yes, or that ^_^

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived