Oklahoma City . . . Sonics?

yh

For once, I'm in agreement with jdub. I may not show it, but I am a Sonics fan as well.

Like I said before, it hasn't been that long since KeyArena was redone. Now, it's been 13 years, but it can't be that difficult to keep the arena in tip-top shape. I mean, look at Mellon Arena in Pittsburgh. It's a different sport, I know, but that buliding has been around for years (Like KeyArena) and is still going strong. Why can't it be the same for KeyArena?

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For once, I'm in agreement with jdub. I may not show it, but I am a Sonics fan as well.

Like I said before, it hasn't been that long since KeyArena was redone. Now, it's been 13 years, but it can't be that difficult to keep the arena in tip-top shape. I mean, look at Mellon Arena in Pittsburgh. It's a different sport, I know, but that buliding has been around for years (Like KeyArena) and is still going strong. Why can't it be the same for KeyArena?

Pittsburgh's building an arena to replace Mellon.

Kinda defeats your argument there. :D

Pittsburgh's building an arena to replace Mellon.

Kinda defeats your argument there. :D

I'd also add that replacing Mellon Arena appeared to be a rather popular option around the league and its fans.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

For one, Mellon Arena holds 150 less for hockey than the Key does for basketball. KeyArena's capacity is it's biggest limitation right now, no matter which side of the argument you are on.

I dont understand how he can come out and say they Bennett even remotely gave a good faith effort to keep the team. I dont know anyone who can look at this situation and think, why yes, Clay did all he could, but just couldnt find a home in Seattle so he was forced to move them.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

I dont understand how he can come out and say they Bennett even remotely gave a good faith effort to keep the team. I dont know anyone who can look at this situation and think, why yes, Clay did all he could, but just couldnt find a home in Seattle so he was forced to move them.

Just a GIANT load of :cursing: right there. Why couldn't they just move Memphis (again)?

I don't understand why anyone ever thought he was.

Oh, and I'm not at all surprised Stern is standing behind Bennett. Punitive action sets a negative precedent for future owners.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Looking at the other moves he's made under his tenure, would you expect anything different? At this point, I say let them go...but don't make it easy for them. Let the trial drag out, hold them to the lease, make it as hard for them to move the Sonics as it is for fans to lose them.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Or, like I said, force that worthless piece of trash owner to use his money to bulid a new arena.

(It's wishful thinking, I know. But let an old Sonics fan have his last shot after what may be the last home game in Seattle Sonics history).

Or, like I said, force that worthless piece of trash owner to use his money to bulid a new arena.

(It's wishful thinking, I know. But let an old Sonics fan have his last shot after what may be the last home game in Seattle Sonics history).

Well....since he reportedly has a lease for the Ford Center in OKC already, it sounds like he won't have to spend a penny of his money on building the arena.

jdub...I'm not sure "scorched earth/kicking and screaming," is the best strategy if you want another team before Stern retires.

Today, we are all otaku.

But that's the thing. Seattle is too solid a market to have to beg or put on airs for David Stern or the NBA. I say that if the NBA leaves this market, :censored: 'em. Seattle has too many other sports options, too many other good facilities, and too much civic pride to be the NBA's jilted lover. And when the OKC experiment collapses and Seattle is still unwilling to build a $500 million arena when Stern wants to move the team back, he'll have only himself to blame for losing this city.

Intentionally nuking one of the NBA's traditionally strong and supportive markets to settle in the hee-haw states is on him. The NBA isn't the NFL, and Sten can't get away with treating franchise cities the same way.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

jdub...I'm not sure "scorched earth/kicking and screaming," is the best strategy if you want another team before Stern retires.

Gotta agree with gitlin. If ownership and the NBA is so quick to flush this franchise down the toilet, why should it be easy for them to move? I'm not so sure I'd want an NBA franchise here before Stern retires.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

And on a related note, I've now seen five times more MLS Sounders FC advertisements around town than I've seen Sonics ads. The actual tally: Five Sounders/MLSinSeattle ads, and zero Sonics. I can see Bennett trying to downplay his allegiance to Seattle, but I don't quite see the benefit in taking a one-season hit in ticket, concession and merchandise sales just to poison the market against your team. It's counter-productive to his bottom line and also counter-productive to the NBA establishing a future team in this market.

There are tons of cities that would love to have a major league team, and Seattle has an NBA team that is invisible to most of its residents. If I wasn't able to see KeyArena from my apartment, I would have a difficult time knowing that it still exists. Couple that with the total lack of exposure for the team, and not only is Bennett costing the league a market, but he's costing himself money.

I don't get it.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Have you seen one Sonic player or coach interviewed on any local media this year?

At the time, I thought it was odd that the Sonics were ending a 20-year radio broadcast relationship with Sports Radio 950 KJR AM to go to Talk Radio KTTH 770.

cv2TCLZ.png

POTD - 7/3/14

Would there be any chance that the Sonics' departure opens up the market for an NHL team? Or are the markets just too different for it to have any affect?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Would there be any chance that the Sonics' departure opens up the market for an NHL team? Or are the markets just too different for it to have any affect?

Key Arena is not really NHL compatible. So they would end up having to build a new arena if they wanted a NHL team.

Today, we are all otaku.

Key Arena is not really NHL compatible. So they would end up having to build a new arena if they wanted a NHL team.

KeyArena isn't even WHL-compatible. I don't know that this region has a huge hankering for hockey, but I've been to a couple of WHL games and they seem to be decently attended. However, that does include shutting off the entire upper deck and a third of the lower bowl, so perhaps not. We'll see how well the ThunderBirds do next year in their hockey-specific arena in Kent, WA (a Seattle suburb). However, it being in Kent means I'll never go, but we'll see.

Archived