Oklahoma City . . . Sonics?

yh

My sense here (St. Louis) is that the NBA wouldn't be a draw. I listen to lots of sports radio & read local sports forums & NBA talk is non-existent. Maybe it's because there isn't a local team, but I don't know anyone who follows the league, myself included. There seems to be infinitely more support to get a MLS team here.

The only knucklehead that I recall wanting the Grizzlies was Bill Laurie, former Blues owner/franchise destroyer. I don't remember any excitement around here about that either.

I think KC could be a good fit for a team though. I hereby propose that KC get a relocated NBA team & in return send St. Louis the Wizards. :D

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmm. Maybe they'll start advertising the team around here...

This is true.

Actually, maybe it's just the neighborhoods I've been to, but there doesn't seem to be much advertising of any team in Seattle, except for the areas immediately surrounding the arena/stadia. I could be proven wrong, of course, but in my travels, I haven't really noticed too many billboards or otherwise telling me that there was anything to do other than shop in the metro Seattle area.

Hell, the only way I found Key Arena was by a fluke, I just happened to be looking down from the top of that stupid, overpriced Space Needle.

yah. there isnt much adveertising. the way i see it, thats just fine. if you liked basketball/baseball/football/hockey/soccer/etc. then you'd be familiar with the NBA/MLB/NFL/WHL/USSL and you would already know that the Sonics/Mariners/Seahawks/T-Birds/Sounders exist. and lord knows we dont get many out of town fans, so i dont really see the neccessity of advertising the team a whole lot, maybe a little but not a ton.

• 3 weeks later...

City of Seattle makes final pitch

Officials entice Sonics to stay with $300M arena plan

SEATTLE (AP) -- In no way did developer Matt Griffin ever consider owning a professional sports franchise.

With the Seattle SuperSonics seemingly destined for Oklahoma City, Griffin and his big-name partners see no other option than to make a huge financial commitment in an attempt to save the Sonics and pro basketball in Seattle.

"Our interest is not necessarily in being an owner, but seeing a team here in Seattle and seeing KeyArena alive," Griffin said Thursday. "If there was a way to do it without having to own the team, that would be terrific. But these are the cards, (and) we have some generous people here in Seattle that are willing to do this."

Making a last-ditch effort to keep the team, the city of Seattle unveiled a $300 million KeyArena renovation plan on Thursday, along with the heavy hitters of local business who are willing to provide a significant financial stake.

Griffin and his three partners -- Microsoft Corp. chief executive Steve Ballmer, Costco Wholesale Corp. president and CEO Jim Sinegal and wireless entrepreneur John Stanton -- have agreed to contribute $150 million to the arena renovation, contingent on the group's ability to purchase the SuperSonics or another NBA franchise. Only recently did the group up its offer from about $75 million.

The group hopes to have a viable option for professional basketball in Seattle on the table when the NBA's board of governors meets next month to vote on SuperSonics owner Clay Bennett's application to relocate the franchise to Oklahoma City at the earliest possible date.

"This particular announcement, we think, is a game-changer," Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels said. "The fact that local investors are willing to step up with the first 50 percent of the money to get this job done, as well as the investment they're going to make in buying a team to begin with, changes the game."

While private investment would cover half the arena upgrades, the plan envisions that the city and state would split the other $150 million. Half would come from the city of Seattle, offset by lease agreements and taxes on the renovated arena.

The other $75 million would come from existing taxes already in place to pay off bonds on the construction of Safeco Field. Those bonds are scheduled to be paid off early, and the KeyArena plan would call for the taxes to remain in place through 2016, when they were set to expire.

The state legislature would have to approve a continuation of the taxes.

and lord knows we dont get many out of town fans

Hmm? Go to a Tbirds game when the Giants or Winter Hawks are here. A Mariners game when the Jays are in town. A Sounders game when they host the Whitecaps or Timbers.

Oklahoma is a neglected pro sports market, just like Virginia. I say bring on an expansion team in both places, and then realign like the NFL is.

Leave the Sonics in Seattle though. The fans will revolt if all they have is the M's and Seahawks to cheer for. LOL

(side note) Seahawks got robbed by Green Bay this season. I'm glad Favre has retired. Bleh.

(side note) Seahawks got beat like the proverbial drum by Green Bay this season. It was epic. Sweet.

FYP

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

"This particular announcement, we think, is a game-changer," Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels said.

He's one of few who does in all probability though. The Sonics were doomed to head to OKC, sooner or later, the minute the ink dried on the sale agreement to a group from out of town. They could raze their arena to the ground and build a new one from scratch now, and it wouldn't make any difference. I hate to say that as I'm averse to any franchise relocating simply so their owners can pocket more money, but that's business.

nav-logo.png

Sonics reach initial deal on lease with OKC.

This apparently needed to be in place before the relocation vote, and is set to take effect whenever the Sonics get out of their lease with Key Arena.

Well, they are gone folks. It might not be this offseason, but they are gone.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Seattle needs to just let them go. Bennett's group is willing to pay a lot to get out of their lease early, basically, whatever it takes. The Sonics are gone, no need in having a couple of lame-duck seasons. Get the money you can, let them go, and work on planning for a new arena in the future for an expansion, or another relocated team, if you seriously want the NBA back in the city.

But these guys are gone. No use in further damaging your raport with the NBA, if you truly want another team there at some point.

Oklahoma is a neglected pro sports market, just like Virginia. I say bring on an expansion team in both places, and then realign like the NFL is.

Stopreellinemints.jpg

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

Story from AdAge on the possiblility of the Sonics changing their name once(not if) they leave Seattle.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Story from AdAge on the possiblility of the Sonics changing their name once(not if) they leave Seattle.

It appears to me that they're talking about the old Gary Payton era logo, not the one currently in use. You'd think they'd have done a little research...

Yeah, not to tangent, and it is Advertising Age, after all, but several errors in the article:

1. "What will become of the team's nickname and logo, which features the city's landmark Space Needle?" ... uh, that logo is many years old and not in use anymore...

2. "... when it hosted the New Orleans Hornets for a season following Hurricane Katrina." Hornets were in OKC for two seasons, not one.

3. "From the Los Angeles Lakers (formerly Detroit, then Minneapolis) in 1960" Actually, in Detroit the NBL franchise was known as the Gems.

4. "Hence, "Seattle SuperSonics" seemed apropos." Darn it, "apropos" is not a fancy way of saying "appropriate", though this misuse has slithered into an all-too common usage. Its proper use is as a form of relevance or regarding, similar to another french term, "vis-a vis".

It is what it is.

From espn.com today:

Sonics willing to leave Name, History in Seattle.

The Governor of Washington is starting to realize the inevitability of the move, and rather graciously I might add. It's time to let these guys go, not worry about the current team whining about not having the bad facilities, start planning for a new arena to house a team who will take over the previous team's history.

I think it would be a great move in the eyes of the NBA to let them go now. I think they'll be more willing to reward them with another team in the near future.

As much as I hate that Seattle will be without an NBA team soon, I do feel better if they change the name and logo. It gives Seattle a little hope in the future for another team and lets us have our history. I really hate the Lakers, Jazz and other teams that use names and logos that make NO freaking sense for that town because the owner was too cheap or lazy to change it when they moved. Clay, be a gentlemen and leave the "Sonics" in Seattle, even if you take our players.

2000Patch.jpg

From espn.com today:

The Governor of Washington is starting to realize the inevitability of the move, and rather graciously I might add. It's time to let these guys go, not worry about the current team whining about not having the bad facilities, start planning for a new arena to house a team who will take over the previous team's history.

I think it would be a great move in the eyes of the NBA to let them go now. I think they'll be more willing to reward them with another team in the near future.

"A spokesman for Washington Gov. Christine Gregoire said Bennett last spoke with Gregoire on March 5, and that their conversation left the governor encouraged about the city's chances of landing another NBA franchise and retaining the Sonics name and identity." How exactly does Bennett have any say in the NBA coming back to Seattle? She had a chance to be a hero with the proposal that Ballmer brought to the table. Unbelievable.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

I like it.

I don't...it places a large emphasis on expanding an already watered down NBA, or at best puts a storied franchises history on deep freeze for possibly decades.

Of course, I always felt the Cleveland Plan was rather stupid as well.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived