Oklahoma City . . . Sonics?

yh

I hope the Fred Brown deal goes through. Obviously the KeyArena is one of the biggest things stacked against the Sonics. I agree with most of the statements in this thread that Seattle deserves better. If Stern and the NBA executives made a true financial decision, they'd have let OKC keep the Hornets, whose attendances is tragic for a team in their position.

I think the financial decision that Stern and the NBA owners are going for is a hefty Re-Location fee to move the Sonics to OKC and in a few years a hefty Expansion fee for the new Seattle franchise.

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Too late, Freddie. Stern is already hell bent on having the Sonics relocate. Why he's got such a hard on about this particular issue when he's been so hands off on others.

Oh well, at least we'll be all geeked up when the Oklahoma City Boll Weevils logos and uniforms are released. :)

He's wanting this built for a future team, not to try and keep the current team.

I think that's their best bet. Let this team go now. Concentrate on finding the best solution to building a state-of-the-art facility and go back to the NBA. I'm sure that once they have a plan together and ready, they'll be awarded another team. If it can work for Charlotte, it can surely work for Seattle. This will give them time to come up with the best possible plan.

Too late, Freddie. Stern is already hell bent on having the Sonics relocate. Why he's got such a hard on about this particular issue when he's been so hands off on others.

Oh well, at least we'll be all geeked up when the Oklahoma City Boll Weevils logos and uniforms are released. :)

He's wanting this built for a future team, not to try and keep the current team.

I think that's their best bet. Let this team go now. Concentrate on finding the best solution to building a state-of-the-art facility and go back to the NBA. I'm sure that once they have a plan together and ready, they'll be awarded another team. If it can work for Charlotte, it can surely work for Seattle. This will give them time to come up with the best possible plan.

I....hesitate to describe Charlotte as it "working."

If anything, Charlotte's a reason to let Seattle lie fallow as a market for about a generation.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I feel pretty comfortable in saying that Freddie Brown has an idea, but it's about the same as me having an idea for gummi worm-flavored popsicles. It's something I'd like to create, but that's it. It's hard to get a billion dollars, and until I see some sort of financing plan that isn't "I've gone some rich friends," I'm going to remain dubious.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

So would the popsicles be frozen and chewy, then?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I feel pretty comfortable in saying that Freddie Brown has an idea, but it's about the same as me having an idea for gummi worm-flavored popsicles. It's something I'd like to create, but that's it. It's hard to get a billion dollars, and until I see some sort of financing plan that isn't "I've gone some rich friends," I'm going to remain dubious.

Until I read the article, I thought he had the money. Interesting idea, to say the least.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

If anything, Charlotte's a reason to let Seattle lie fallow as a market for about a generation.

Not to defend Charlotteans (I hate Charlotte in general), but the Bobcats situation is exacerbated by two strong points that have hurt the team considerably. First, the Hornets ownership really, REALLY jerked around the locals (including a sex scandal that didn't play all that well, if I recall). Second, the on-court product hasn't been very good. Charlotte is the L.A. of the south - they'll back a winner, but abandon a loser like it was a red-headed stepchild.

nav-logo.png

Not to defend Charlotteans (I hate Charlotte in general), but the Bobcats situation is exacerbated by two strong points that have hurt the team considerably. First, the Hornets ownership really, REALLY jerked around the locals (including a sex scandal that didn't play all that well, if I recall). Second, the on-court product hasn't been very good. Charlotte is the L.A. of the south - they'll back a winner, but abandon a loser like it was a red-headed stepchild.

It is very much arguable that Condition One, as you have laid out, is also applicable to Seattle, and I doubt a NBA expansion team (regardless of ownership) would do well....so condition two might as well.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I have an idea...

Peanuts and gum! Together at last!!!

(Brown's idea may be far fetched, but that doesn't detract from Seattle's viability as a future great market, given the right ownership situation.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think the argument that "second tier markets make the league look second tier" is a pretty strong one. Not that it's necessarily a bad business plan - MLS seems to have mined them pretty well, and the NHL has decided that it'll work for them - but it is a sign that the NBA has decided not to compete directly with MLB and the NFL.

If the NBA abandons a market like Seattle without being able to immediately present an plan to replace the team, it speaks to the health of the sport. The NFL wasn't willing to let Seattle go. MLB wasn't willing to let Seattle go. If the NBA does (and I'm not yet convinced that they are), that'll tell us something.

I was thinking about this argument in particular... was the NFL second tier for moving Houston to Memphis(and later Nashville)? Or Los Angeles to Oakland? Or Los Angeles to St. Louis?

Any time there is a franchise relocation, you're either moving to a bigger market or a smaller market. Now, lately the NBA has been moving, generally, to smaller markets. But it's not a situation in which it never works out(Utah seemed to work out pretty well). But the NBA is not the only team that has been moving to smaller markets. Hell, most people are practically begging the NHL to move more teams to smaller markets(only if said markets are in Canada).

I originally tried to post something adding to your points, but it didn't make it here. Anywho, another reason why the Bobcats' situation isn't that great is that they have probably the worst local TV coverage of any team in sports. First off, there was the failure of their regional sports network which was only available to a select few, then moving those games to a regional news network that still pockets of the region can't recieve. Add that to a very limited over-the-air TV package (15 games a year), and you have a pretty non-descript franchise. However, at least that situation will be solved, as FSN South (which everyone who has basic cable and satellite gets) is suppose to pick up the Bobcats cablecasts starting next season.

Madman, winning would cure every one of those ills however. But yeah, the ownership has been somewhat incompetent in many regards.

I agree with there, Mac, although I'm still skeptical about Michael Jordan and his "management" style. They do have some decent talent and they're gradually getting better on the court, if you look at their record year by year. If they want to win right away, they need some more talent and a much more established coach.

Edit: The Bobcats' deal with FSN South is official; they're televising the final five games of this season, and 70 games a year, starting next season.

Raise your hands if you are surprised.

*crickets*

That's what I thought.

Today, we are all otaku.

Raise your hands if you are surprised.

*crickets*

That's what I thought.

I'm a little surprised at Bennett's e-mail tone with Stern. Good grief...get a room.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Oh, they have a room... It's in Oklahoma City near the Ford Center. They'll be celebrating the death of Seattle's oldest franchise.

The nerve of this jackass is just.... Well. I would be censured for what I have to say about him. It can't be that hard to keep up KeyArena to modern standards. If not, then he and he alone should be forced to put up the money to build a new arena in Renton or Redmond or whatever suburb they would go to. After that, revoke his ownership status and tell him he can never own an NBA team again for lying to David Stern

If not, then he and he alone should be forced to put up the money to build a new arena in Renton or Redmond or whatever suburb they would go to. After that, revoke his ownership status and tell him he can never own an NBA team again for lying to David Stern

That's the American way.... :rolleyes:

If not, then he and he alone should be forced to put up the money to build a new arena in Renton or Redmond or whatever suburb they would go to. After that, revoke his ownership status and tell him he can never own an NBA team again for lying to David Stern

That's the American way.... :rolleyes:

The murdering of this franchise is just a shame.

cv2TCLZ.png

POTD - 7/3/14

Archived