Oklahoma City . . . Sonics?

yh

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think legal proof of "lying while they were negotiating the sale" needs something more than a couple of emails from after the completion of the sale.

Of course, I am not a legal scholar either.

I'm also too lazy to check, but didn't Schultz also threaten to sell the team to someone who might move it back when he couldn't get an arena deal?

Sure did. To be fair, Schulz is the original villain in all of this. Bennett is the big :censored:, but Schulz is the guy that junked things up in the first place.

If I can be bold enough to take the pulse of Seattle, their reaction to the Sonics is thus: Keep them here, or F the NBA. All Seattle has ever done has been a supportive fanbase for a historically decent team. Just because the residents weren't stupid enough to tax themselves for yet another sports stadium doesn't mean that they somehow need the validation of an NBA franchise here. No, it's not the allure of big-time sports in this area -- the city is big time with or without professional athletes living around here. It instead is all about a city losing something it has had for 40 years, the Supersonics. Not NBA basketball, not a pro sports team, not the validation of being worthwhile that a city like OKC needs. No, just the Seattle Supersonics -- a part of the city's character being taken away for no good reason.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Man, this is some incredible stuff.
Schultz's sales agreement includes a July 18, 2006, "side letter" in which Bennett writes: "It is not our intention to move or relocate the teams so long, of course, as we are able to negotiate an attractive successor venue [to KeyArena] and lease arrangement. Our commitment to you to use our good faith best efforts over the coming year to negotiate such a venue and lease arrangement in the Greater Seattle Area provides further concrete evidence of this intention."

That quote from the side letter is key: "so long, of course, as we are able to negotiate an attractive successor venue and lease arrangement." Those words thwart any "good faith" negotiations clauses that might exist in the deal. Bennett could make a legitimate claim that his group negotiated for a new facility in good faith, and odds are there's not a court in the country that would rule against him as there's no definitive measure of what "good faith" represents in this type of situation.

Game over. So long Seattle SuperSonics; make way for the Oklahoma Whatevers.

nav-logo.png

th_OKCSonics.gif

Man their move will screw things up divisionally.

You have to keep them in the Northwest. But that seems so weird.

Sure will screw things up..... Oklahoma City should switch divisions with Golden St. Putting the Warriors in the Northwest, and the Sonics in the Pacific

th_OKCSonics.gif

Sure will screw things up..... Oklahoma City should switch divisions with Golden St. Putting the Warriors in the Northwest, and the Sonics in the Pacific

Oklahoma City in the Pacific? Yeah, because that makes more sense.

Here's what I think:

Pacific: Golden State, LA Clippers, LA Lakers, Portland, Sacramento

Midwest: Denver, Minnesota, Oklahoma City, Phoenix, Utah

Southwest: Dallas, Houston, Memphis, New Orleans, San Antonio

Portland moves into the Pacific, making it a true Pacific Division. And although it's still rather stretched out (geographically), the Midwest with these 5 teams still makes more sense than the current Northwest Division. The Southwest wouldn't need to change.

th_OKCSonics.gif

Ugh. Seeing that logo just makes me sick. :puke:

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

th_OKCSonics.gif

It will be worse when they change it to whatever name they come up with.

God only knows.

But it's likely already done. Or they are working on one now.....

th_OKCSonics.gif

It will be worse when they change it to whatever name they come up with.

God only knows.

But it's likely already done. Or they are working on one now.....

I know. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they kept the name and colors just to piss Seattle off.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

th_OKCSonics.gif

Here's what I think:

Portland moves into the Pacific, making it a true Pacific Division. And although it's still rather stretched out (geographically), the Midwest with these 5 teams still makes more sense than the current Northwest Division. The Southwest wouldn't need to change.

I was about to disagree...but upon further view, that makes the most sense....until New Orleans moves to Kansas City, then you flip the Sonics and Hornets.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

th_OKCSonics.gif

Here's what I think:

Heres a better idea

Atlantic Boston, New Jersey, New York, Philadelphia, Washington

Southeast Atlanta, Charlotte, Miami, Memphis, Orlando

Central Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Indiana, Toronto

Northwest Denver, Milwaukee, Minnesota, Portland, Utah

Southwest Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, Oklahoma City

Pacific Golden State, LA Clippers, LA Lakers, Portland, Sacramento

Oklahoma and Texas are a natural rivalry so is NO and Texas

Milwaukee and Minnesota are a natural rivalry

Atlantic is the NE Corridor

Toronto is close to Detroit

Someone has to come east to replace Milwaukee

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

th_OKCSonics.gif

Here's what I think:

Heres a better idea

The NBA has two teams from PORTLAND!? I didn't know that!

You forgot Phoenix and San Antonio.

Just keep things like McCall said.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

th_OKCSonics.gif

Here's what I think:

Heres a better idea

While your Eastern Conference looks great, Milwaukee should stay in the East and not be in a division with Portland. A single division that stretches from the Pacific ocean to the Great Lakes? Doesn't work well. Plus you only have 4 teams in the Southwest Division. Where's San Antonio supposed to go? They the Notre Dame of the NBA? ^_^

I think just switching those couple teams is all that is needed right now. I have a realignment created for some future expansion, but this is not the place for me to post it. Plus, there's no guaranty expansion will even happen anytime soon.

th_OKCSonics.gif

Here's what I think:

Heres a better idea

I guess Tank wants Phoenix contracted

Oklahoma (City) Boll Weevils.

Please, make this happen, Bennet! PLEASE. I would do the logo for free.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Well if they can't break the lease early, they could go with "Oklahoma City Boll Weevils of Seat..."

Sorry, but if people are going to ruin a thread by turning it into a reel-line-mint farce, then I'm entitled to do that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

th_OKCSonics.gif

Here's what I think:

Heres a better idea

I guess Tank wants Phoenix contracted

...and San Antonio.

saBS.png

Don't worry the league will realign again when we get these future moves: :wacko:

Brooklyn Knights

-Former NJ Nets, I'm still waiting for the groundbreaking please!

Las Vegas Kings

-former Sacramento

Kansas City Wolves

-former Minnesota Timberwolves after the Target Center becomes outdated or they could move to St. Paul and share

the Excel Center and stay in Minnesota

Anaheim Clippers

-former L.A. Clippers. Donald Sterling finally kicks the bucket and his family sells the team to the Samueli's

I was about to disagree...but upon further view, that makes the most sense....until New Orleans moves to Kansas City, then you flip the Sonics and Hornets.

Nope. Not gonna happen.

The new governor and the Hornets jointly called for and are working on a new long-term lease, without "benchmarks" (which coincidentally, were met and now only need to be maintained) and should have that done before the start of next season, if not sooner. Season ticket sales are increasing (naturally, after a season like this), and should be about 8,000 to 10,000 before next season.

You know that old adage, "you don't know what you have until you lose it?" Well that's the story of sports teams in New Orleans:

- In the last 4-5 years prior to Katrina, the Saints would usually sell out home games, but barely (just in time for the blackout to be lifted). Katrina hit, they played games in San Antonio (whose mayor and movers/shakers tried to "do us a favor" by taking them off of our hands permanently), and when they came back after one year, they sold out the season for the first time ever and now have a 30,000 person waiting list for season tickets. The state and the Saints are working out a new long-term (15-20 year) lease, which will probably have continued improvments to the Superdome in the short-term and a new stadium coming on-line in the latter part of the lease.

- The Hornets went away for two years, and all many people heard was that they weren't coming back at all. Then when they came back, all that was put forth was that it was good for one year, through the All Star break. Attendance suffered despite a decent (at the time) team, as folks still didn't want to invest money and emotions into a team that had been gone for two years, even wore another city's name on its jersey, and was strongly hinted would only be here for a short time. It all came to a head with the announcement about the revised lease with benchmarks around the first of this year. At that point it was quite clear that the team would stay, if folks would only support them with tickets. Attendance began to pick up, got a boost from the All-Star game, as well as from the realization that the team was NOT going to fade down the strech and that they were for real.

I have read that the power that be behind the Sprint Center in KC are looking more towards an NHL tenant.

It is what it is.

Archived