Oklahoma City . . . Sonics?

yh

And David Stern is already on the record as saying Seattle essentially doesn't deserve the Sonics. He aint steppin in to prevent this, no way no how.

Looks like we'll be dragging this on for one more year. Maybe Clay Clay will get tired and sell.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3220844

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I think that even if Seattle wins the trial, the Sonics will play in KeyArena till there lease expires, then move. And we all know how lame-duck teams fare in their markets.

nhlvquebec2mw0.pngnhlpittsburghmo1.pngmlsnewenglandei8.pngnflbaltimoreff1.pngncaaohiostatepx4.png

Interesting Baseball fact: In 1960: Baltimore, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh had 2 AAA affiliates, while Los Angeles had 3 teams...and the New York Yankees had the Kansas City Athletics.

Interesting Hockey fact: In 1974, the Buffalo Sabres draft Taro Tsujimoto of the Toyko Katanas with th 183 pick in the draft. It was later revealed that Taro didn't exist, but Taro is still listed as an offical draftee of the Buffalo Sabres in their Media Guide.

And David Stern is already on the record as saying Seattle essentially doesn't deserve the Sonics. He aint steppin in to prevent this, no way no how.

Looks like we'll be dragging this on for one more year. Maybe Clay Clay will get tired and sell.

Somehow I doubt he'll sell. He'd most likely be eating a loss if he did.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So if everything in court goes the Sonics way, could they still play in OKC next year, or will they have to wait until 09-10?

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

So if everything in court goes the Sonics way, could they still play in OKC next year, or will they have to wait until 09-10?

09-10.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Hmm. Maybe they'll start advertising the team around here...

This is true.

Actually, maybe it's just the neighborhoods I've been to, but there doesn't seem to be much advertising of any team in Seattle, except for the areas immediately surrounding the arena/stadia. I could be proven wrong, of course, but in my travels, I haven't really noticed too many billboards or otherwise telling me that there was anything to do other than shop in the metro Seattle area.

Hell, the only way I found Key Arena was by a fluke, I just happened to be looking down from the top of that stupid, overpriced Space Needle.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

• 3 weeks later...

All these cities and stuff and no one brings up Tampa? St. Louis? Montreal? Sheboygan? (Ok, that one was a joke :P)

But seriously, how come cities, especially like St. Louis, dont have NBA teams? Or at least arent in the running for one? That's always baffled me that St. Louis doesn't have an NBA team.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

All these cities and stuff and no one brings up Tampa? St. Louis? Montreal? Sheboygan? (Ok, that one was a joke :P)

But seriously, how come cities, especially like St. Louis, dont have NBA teams? Or at least arent in the running for one? That's always baffled me that St. Louis doesn't have an NBA team.

Market saturation and the NHL's presence there has always been my theory as to why.

They made a semi-serious effort to get the Grizzlies before Memphis did IIRC, but not much has come up on the expansion front.

Today, we are all otaku.

After it became apparent that the NBA would only allow four ABA teams to join the NBA, St. Louis owners Ozzie and Dan Silna reached a famous agreement with the other remaining ABA owners. In return for folding their team, the Spirits' owners obtained the right to 1/7 of any future television money received by the surviving ABA teams (Denver, Indiana, New York and San Antonio) -- in perpetuity. In the late 1970's, the NBA's contract with CBS was modest in scope. But as the NBA's popularity exploded in the 1980's and 1990's, the league's television rights were sold to CBS (and then NBC), plus the TNT and TBS cable networks, for hundreds of millions of dollars. Over the past 25 years, the Silnas have collected approximately $100 million from the NBA, despite the fact that the Spirits never played an NBA game. The Silnas continue to receive checks from the NBA on a yearly basis, representing a 4/7 share of the television money that would normally go to any NBA franchise.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

After it became apparent that the NBA would only allow four ABA teams to join the NBA, St. Louis owners Ozzie and Dan Silna reached a famous agreement with the other remaining ABA owners. In return for folding their team, the Spirits' owners obtained the right to 1/7 of any future television money received by the surviving ABA teams (Denver, Indiana, New York and San Antonio) -- in perpetuity. In the late 1970's, the NBA's contract with CBS was modest in scope. But as the NBA's popularity exploded in the 1980's and 1990's, the league's television rights were sold to CBS (and then NBC), plus the TNT and TBS cable networks, for hundreds of millions of dollars. Over the past 25 years, the Silnas have collected approximately $100 million from the NBA, despite the fact that the Spirits never played an NBA game. The Silnas continue to receive checks from the NBA on a yearly basis, representing a 4/7 share of the television money that would normally go to any NBA franchise.

There was also a time around 2000 when the Vancouver Grizzlies were all but confirmed for moving to St. Louis, can't exactly remember why it didn't happen.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

I use to crave St. Louis getting an NBA team. But now, with the NBA as boring as it is, I really don't care. Actually, honestly, Kansas City would probably be a better choice before St. Louis. They're opening a brand new, state-of-the-art arena, with no key major tennants yet. That's why they were a relatively close second choice after Oklahoma City to get the Sonics.

I'd say either if another team relocates soon, or the NBA decides to expand 2 more times to bring the total to the nice, round (sportswise) number of 32, Kansas City is almost a lock. After the way OKC handled the Hornets, Stern and the league really wanted a team there. Now that the Sonics are basically 99.9% going there, they'll turn their sights to KC and the new Sprint Center, and try and do what they can to get a team in there.

Which will likely be the Hornets, and if Seattle won't bend on the Sonics lease, my prediction is you'll see the Kansas City Hornets before you see the Oklahoma Sonics.

I don't know if they're ready to pull the Hornets out of NOLA just yet. They seem to be pretty positive about the NBA being there. I know they're currently short on reaching the minimum average attendance needed to secure another season, but I have a feeling George Shinn is willing to stick it out there, anyway.

Is Des Moines, Iowa too small to be the home of a NBA team? We have an arena in Des Moines that could be a good home for a NBA team....

It can hold 16,110 for basketball games... and just above 15,000 for hockey games...

D-League maybe, but it's not a big enough town for NBA

Is Des Moines, Iowa too small to be the home of a NBA team? We have an arena in Des Moines that could be a good home for a NBA team....

It can hold 16,110 for basketball games... and just above 15,000 for hockey games...

According to this, Des Moines is in the 92nd largest metropolitan area in the US (and roughly half the size of even the 50th), so I'd say yes - it is too small to be the home of an NBA (or any other major) team.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived