Pirates in Red

gilesy24

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another picture of LaRoche.

This might be fine for an expansion teams look but its way to flashy/trashy for a team with such a good traditional look. I never liked the red at all with the pirates scheme. Seems like somebody read way way to many articles about red being so popular among MLB fans.

20070127jh_PIRATEFEST10_450.jpg

Here is a small picture of all the jerseys including black BP. No one wore their pants but its supposed to be a friday home alt. so i'm assuming white or white pinstripe pants. Actually i think the pinstripe pants should be used personally.

PIRATEFEST07_230Q.jpg

i auctully think the new jerseys are pretty clean who knows it might be good luck

Good luck is no excuse for bad taste.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Well, I apparently have bad taste, because I like 'em. If they were to drop that number font for regular pro block, and ditch the pinstriped alt, they'd have a near perfect set. Glad to see the revival of the red hat, too.

Nice work.

No one wore their pants but its supposed to be a friday home alt. so i'm assuming white or white pinstripe pants. Actually i think the pinstripe pants should be used personally.

The MLB Style Guide has the Red vests paired with the White pants. Don't know if the pinstriped pants WON'T be worn with them though.

i acutally love the look of these! but if i were a baseball fan i may feel different, but just looking at these i think there great! then a gain a fan of the pirates with the tradidition and what not might think they are horribly ugly.

untitled-6.jpg

They are good unis...if they were used strictly as fashion jerseys. These should NEVER see the field. I'd buy it, but I'd be embarrassed to wear it on the field, just because of the fact that it's just weird and ugly to see the Pirates wearing red. A black alt would've been better, hell, even a sleeveless black alt would've been better. But not red. That was a no-no.

OH my dear lord those are ugly. I have been a Pirates fan since infancy and this brings tears to my eyes. LaRoche has to be pissed, he left the red alts in Atlanta he thought. Too bad these are uglier.

At least red is a part of the Braves color scheme. Also, I actually do like the Braves red jersey.

The Pirates have never looked good with red in their scheme.

Well, I apparently have bad taste, because I like 'em. If they were to drop that number font for regular pro block, and ditch the pinstriped alt, they'd have a near perfect set. Glad to see the revival of the red hat, too.

Nice work.

Switch their distinctive number font to one that is horribly common? What?

1zgyd8w.jpg

No one wore their pants but its supposed to be a friday home alt. so i'm assuming white or white pinstripe pants. Actually i think the pinstripe pants should be used personally.

The MLB Style Guide has the Red vests paired with the White pants. Don't know if the pinstriped pants WON'T be worn with them though.

Does the MLB style guide show which pants the Angels are wearing their red jersey with? I always assumed it would be worn at home with the white pants but now I'm hearing it might be a road alternate. Thanks in advance.

I would really like the new Pirates jersey if it wasn't a vest. Having black sleeves and a red vest with black and yellow lettering seems like too much. Just having a solid red jersey with black and yellow lettering would actually look pretty nice, similar to the Calgary Flames.

Pardon the quick and dirty nature of this, as I have no artistic talent. But regardless of that, why on Earth counldn't they wear something akin to this:

PIT_alt.jpg

As I was doing this, I realized another reason why this emphasis on red makes absolutely no sense for the Pirates. They play in the NL Central, along with two teams whose identities are probably most associated with the color red in the entire National League - the Reds and Cardinals. Plus, there's also Houston's brick. And the Pirates' intrastate rival, the Phillies, feature what as their primary color? Red! Why would you want to emphasize a color that carries an inherent association with your rivals? It would be like the BoSox trotting out a navy pinstripe alternate.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Does the MLB style guide show which pants the Angels are wearing their red jersey with? I always assumed it would be worn at home with the white pants but now I'm hearing it might be a road alternate. Thanks in advance.

White pants. I suppose it could certainly be worn with Gray...

Weird. You know, the fact that the Pirates had scaled back the red almost to the point of elimination in recent years was very promising. Then they bring the red back even bolder and stronger, complete with the cap they previously eliminated. It's all just confusing to me.

Odd that a team with such tradition is having such an identity crisis over the past decade.

That said, I think red-black-yellow is a nice color scheme that has a place in baseball, it just doesn't say Pirates to me. I thought the Devil Rays might go this route (although I think they should stay green and blue).

I was in the minority on liking the Rockies black vest with purple sleeves, but it always made a lot more sense to me than black with black. This is another unique look that would be welcome if it weren't for a team with such history (and yes, I know the Pirates had red way back when). Oh well, what's done is done -- again. Red alts seem to be the light blue road of the 2000s. Hope the Cubs fight the urge.

Horrendous. It's an absolute shame. Unless, of course, these are sponsored by Heinz.

Which they probably are...ketchup and mustard all in the same uniform set! Now all the Pirates need is a YELLOW alt jersey to complete the package! Pirates Mustard Tuesdays and Pirates Ketchup Fridays! (Let's not forget about pinstriped Sundays.) It'd fit in with half the other half-baked promotions they do.

I just have to wonder if this is the brainchild of Dave Littlefield, the Pirates' GM. All I know is that for the two years (on and off) I've been here, ol' dude ain't really been too good about executing this "rebuilding" plan I heard about before I moved up here. (Of course, I'm still wondering how he let Jim Leyland get away before Detriot nabbed him, only to go with Jim Tracy--and I wonder if that had something to do with Tracy supposedly having some type of Pittsburgh tie, along with seemingly everyone else who gets hired into some coaching position in this city.)

Anyway, back on topic, I could see the red as a very, very scaled back TRIM, like, say, on their former black 3rd jerseys and ball caps...but this thing? I like wild, vibrant color, but this one here just ain't doin' it for me. Not in the least.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived